Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labr'adored
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Competing in agility

we have been doing agility classes for about a year (with my 3year old lab)now and would like to have a go at some competitions but dont know where or how to start really. does he have to be measured for all competitions and does he have to jump the proper height for all competitions etc some general advice would be great
is there such a thing as a agility fun competition?????
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Your best place for advice in your area should be you class

To compeate at kennel club comps your dog does need to be measured - the details are on the KC website - and the agility eye tells you where shows are

There are some fun shows too, usualy run by individual clubs - and their rules are whatever they want, our club show you can jump any height

There are also different organisations - like agility addicts I think - who have different rules but there are none up here so I dont really know

It is great fun - look forward to hearing how you get on
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 08:01 PM
There are usually loads of competitions with a starters class. They usually have more advanced classes too, but with a lab you're unlikely to beat the hoardes of collies! Look for ones that are at an animal fun day if you can. Sorry I can't help more, but I'm not too familiar with your area.
Labs are usually full height (Jet was well within it and he's not big).
Advice for competitions...try to find an indoor one first, if not, come prepared for wet weather!
Also come prepared for everything else, toys, TONS of treats (especially as he's a labbie), water bowls, picnic etc. Take him for exercise before the competition to diffuse any extra hyperness and good luck!
First competition, it's brilliant if you can even come away with a clear round, Jet's first was an abomination!
labr'adored
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Luckypirate View Post
There are usually loads of competitions with a starters class. They usually have more advanced classes too, but with a lab you're unlikely to beat the hoardes of collies!
LOL no theres no way we will ever beat the collies we are more on the slow and steady (but accurate) side of things. Finding it all very addictive tho and Ollie loves it!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi there

Yes you do need to be measured and you need a green book - is your dog KC registered? In order to compete at KC events he will be.

www.agilitynet.co.uk has a list of shows and lots of advice on the forum too.

We dipped into competing for the first time last year and started at a non KC event - Paws in the Park. It was part of a country fair so really relaxed and fun - no pressure.

I also went along to a KC event before competing to just get a feel for things!

Have only done a few since then and we did our first competition this year and we got our first clear round

He's a Gordon Setter. I love watching the other breeds and the gundogs are fab to watch too!

So do give it a go - its great fun!

My daughter is also competing with our other Setter too.

Good luck and have fun - that's what its about.
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Another organisation is UKAgility (UKA) http://www.ukagility.com/.
They run a few shows down around the west country. You do have to pay membership for both yourself and your dog, but shows are quite relaxed and a good starting point for anyone new to agility. They also offer a few more options compared to KC, eg training in ring, 4th jump height, pay on day entry, casual/nursery classes.

UKA also provide lovely rosettes, even for clear rounds.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 10:34 AM
The local dog training place where we do agility runs their own events every month, get in touch with your local agility trainers

(I'm too nervous to compete Keisha would DEFINATELY show me up)
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
The local dog training place where we do agility runs their own events every month, get in touch with your local agility trainers

(I'm too nervous to compete Keisha would DEFINATELY show me)
I see you're in Cheshire...where do you train? We used to go to Allsorts Agility in Malpas.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Luckypirate View Post
I see you're in Cheshire...where do you train? We used to go to Allsorts Agility in Malpas.
Ah, Malpas is a bit too far from us, we're alot more North. 'Dig It Dogs' in Sandbach - love it! Based on a farm...really laid back and the trainer is sooo lovely.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Given the size of your dog - they wont need to be measured for UKA, they will simply go in the biggest class (Maxi) Neither of the two I have competed with needed to be meaured either.

If you don't want to go in the competative classes you can run in either Nursery or Casual, both of which jump at a slightly lower height than the performance classes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >