Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Potting compost (updated at post 16)

What potting compost do you use?
Last year I bought Miracle Grow compost with added water retaining agent and plant food. All my tubs and containers were brilliant and I decided to get some more this year.
Well this year I have got mushrooms growing out of every pot, some so big that they are pushing the plants out of the tubs
I have just emailed Miracle Grow so I will be interested to see what they have to say.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I buy the garden centre's own one - it was a quid cheaper. Mind you, the girl told me I'd need two bags (75L) and I only needed one, so in fact it was three quid dearer

v0v
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 05:16 AM
You wanted to grow flowers in your pots? There wasn't mush room for them?

I get my compost from the farm shop, a John Innes formula three large bags for £12. That'll do me
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:57 AM
I used to buy what ever was cheapest, but the last couple of years I gone for the cheapest that is peat free and has water retaining crystals

If you have proper mushrooms growing, then it's a very good compost, one of the things they advise to put on an allotment to add some extra oommph to it is mushroom compost, along of course with good old fashion farmyard manure
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I usually use a John Innes or J.Arther Bowers
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2009, 09:02 AM
This year i've used Westland multipurpose with added John Innes and have noticed a marked improvement in moisture retention for my seedlings.I'm not too keen on water retaining crystals so this year I'm trying the capillary mats with water retaining gel built in, I'll have to wait and see what happens.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I used whatever was on offer at the garden centre this year which was Violet Farm Multipurpose. So far it seems to have been quite good and also has the crystals in it.

Are the mushrooms edible?? If so, i'd be chuffed!!
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I bought b&q organic, absolutely rubbish still had twigs and bark so wasnt compact enough. Nothing grew so put it all on the flowerbeds and went and bought cheap, loads better. I am growing sweetcorn for the first time, is there any tips.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Normally I go to the garden centre and get an average sized bag for approx £5, after the one I last bought was full of green sponge bits, yes that is right, looked like one of those vileda sponges, when I saw ASDA was selling (albeit) smaller bags but for £1, I thought I would give them a go. All well so far.........
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
You wanted to grow flowers in your pots? There wasn't mush room for them?

I get my compost from the farm shop, a John Innes formula three large bags for £12. That'll do me

I got 3 bags of Westerland for £10 a couple of weeks ago. Anything for a bargain I say!

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I used whatever was on offer at the garden centre this year which was Violet Farm Multipurpose. So far it seems to have been quite good and also has the crystals in it.

Are the mushrooms edible?? If so, i'd be chuffed!!
I'm not sure and don't like to chance it. I wish now I had taken some pics of them.

Originally Posted by JIMMY LAW View Post
I bought b&q organic, absolutely rubbish still had twigs and bark so wasnt compact enough. Nothing grew so put it all on the flowerbeds and went and bought cheap, loads better. I am growing sweetcorn for the first time, is there any tips.
Ooooo I have never grown sweetcorn.
I bought some organic rubbish too. Sooooo many twigs etc as you say.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >