Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2005, 01:47 PM

Tear Stains

What is the best thing to use for tear stains?

I have a bottle of Tear stain and facial cleanser and Star hates the smell of it. Would cotton wool and warm water do the same job?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Kingsley gets tears a lot...
I use cotton wool and boiled (not boiling!) water! Does the job fine for me!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2005, 11:36 PM
A couple of the pups from our current litters have tear stains, took them to the vet and she said there wasn't any problem with their eyes, no infections etc. and sold me a bottle of Leo Eye Lotion, a cleaning lotion for the eyes and removal of tear stains.........cost me £12 and it doesn't work!!!!

So if you do find something, I would love to hear!
Meg
Supervisor

05-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Tear stains. . Having a breed with a white beard staining can be a problem.
Bicarb dissolved in water is supposed to help, I guess as the PH of the tears is slightly acid the bicarb neutralises it. Also a mild solution of hydrogen peroxide for white dogs is supposed to help but I havn't noticed any improvement when used. I find prevention better than cure and have my own technique for Schnow beards.
For eyes I would do the following...first make sure there is no infection. Next wipe each eye with separate pieces of cotton wool and a mild saline solution made of pint of boiled water and heaped tsp salt , allow to dry completely, then touch you finger in some Vaseline...rub your fingers together so there is the merest trace on them and gently wipe the area around the eye that stains. If you can see it on the hair you have put too much on...just the smallest trace is required. What you are in fact doing is waterproofing the hair so that the tears can't penetrate the hair and stain.
Carole
Supervisor

05-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I might try that, then clean every day with cool warm water.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

05-02-2005, 08:47 AM
I presume you are talking abour Star and that, as she has a black mask, you are concerned about the build up of matter from the eyes in the skin folds rather that actual stains. Some Boxers do have deeper facial folds and this can lead to a build up of the natural eye fluid. If left it smells sour, hardens into a crust, and can eventaually set up infection/soreness in the wrinkles. You should wipe her face every day with cool water, making sure that you do actually get right into the folds. A thin cloth/cotton handerchief is best for this. As a part of everyday fussing I hold mt Boxers heads in my hands and run my thumbs down the eye creases, scraping very gently with my thumbnails as I go.

Are Boxer owners the only ones with eye boogies wiped on their trousers
Carole
Supervisor

05-02-2005, 11:08 AM
that sounds like it SB.

There is no crust or smell but it sometimes looks a bit red I have been using a facial cleanser but Star hates the smell so will try water every day and see if it looks any better.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2005, 12:51 PM
ShadowBoxer - you are not alone!
I have Bullmastiff and Yorkie eye boogies all over my trousers! lol
I do the same as you with my fingers when I stroke them.
Snippets
Dogsey Junior

07-02-2005, 04:47 PM
In severe cases, I cut away the tear stained fur to give new unstained fur a chance to grow back in.

Try using contact lens cleaner applied with cotton wool balls to keep the eyes clean.

When bathing, use a small SOFT baby toothbrush to clean around the eyes, being careful not to get shampoo in the eyes!

Good luck!

Lindsay
www.snippetsgrooming.co.uk
Carole
Supervisor

07-02-2005, 07:09 PM
thanks Snippets will keep that in mind.