View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Ideally pups should leave their dam at around 8 weeks and go straight to their new home, 10 weeks is getting near the fear period. It may well be clean, it would have to be or people would not buy and they would be closed down. But crammed together in a van 100 + at a time travelling from as far away as Ireland and leaving the puppy farms as young as 5 weeks. The older pups are probably from UK breeders who have sold what they can and get shot of the rest as a job lot to one of the wholesalers. One of the worse aspects of this trade is no one cares who buys the pups, no one tells it like it is to the buyer, no one is there to help when there is a problem and believe me there are problems. And what happens to the pups when they reach 3 or 4 months and are no longer any good in the shop being too old to appeal and getting far too expensive to feed.
geordieboxerlover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2005, 11:09 PM
they have boxers
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 11:22 PM
New puppies sourced from our approved breeders arriving weekly.

Regular Breed availability :

Bassets
Bichon Frise
Border Collies (none pedigree)
Jack Russells (none pedigree)
Cocker Spaniels
Cairns
Cavalier King Charles
Shih Tzus
Westies
Dobermann's
Poodles
Golden Retrievers
Beagles
Labradors
Dalmations
Samoyed
Boxers
Rottweiler
Lhasa Apsos
Old English Sheepdogs
English Bull Terriers
Yorkshire Terriers
Weimarmer
German Shepherds
Dachshunds
25 different breeds that says it all to me.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 01:18 AM
Good god it's like a doggy version of Netto!

Glad you had a lucky escape Foxy, just shows what can happen when your heart rules your head. I would probably have done the same as you, rather the pup with me than them.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Well obviously his mum wasn't there but he was 10 weeks old when we got him and had only just gone into the kennels two days before we got him - some dogs leave their mums at 7 weeks so I don't think 10 weeks was too bad..
How do you know he was 10 weeks old ? & how do you know he was there only for 2 days ?

One reason puppy dealers sell Cavalier X Welsh Springer Spaniels as Cavaliers is so they can be sold at an early age 6 weeks as an older puppy. Puppyfarms & these dealers are in the business of high turnover high profit, so they keep the puppies in the breeding kennels for as short a time as possible & most reach the sales kennels at 5/6 weeks of age(the bigger the dog the earlier they are sold). Any that are up for sale older than this will have been there for a lot longer than two days(we have a dealer kennels near her)

If you are going by what you are told by the staff at the kennels or the owners in the words of one Victor Meldrew"I don't belkieve it" They are there to get rid of the puppies as quickly as possible to maximise profit. Paperwork means nothing from places like these

The puppies are taken way too young from the litter(lots of problems with biting & interaction with other dogs because of this), they are not socialized with people nor are the handled the same as a puppy bought from a responsible breeder. I know someone who got a shih tzu from D4U she was supposed to be 10 weeks old she came with a IKC reg number but no certificate or pedigree. She contacted the IKC & got in touch with the breeder. the puppy was in fact just 6 weeks old(so left the breeder at 5 weeks old ) & when she checked with the IKC the mother had had 11 litters(yes eleven)registered to her & she wasn't 6 years old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have deliberately said someone I know as they new owner wanted the info so she could register the puppy with the KC here & breed from her on her first season which in due course she did & the cycle started again as Shih Tzus are very popular here

The reason the KC ban people who sell KC reg puppies through these places is to stop KC reg puppies being transported & traded way too young

If you are going by what your vet tells you they are not infallible either & any age is always a guessimate, dogs unlike horses cannot really be aged by the state of their teeth

No one should buy a pedigree or non pedigree puppy without seeing the mum(unless the mum is dead of course which does happen)No one should buy from a dealer either Puppy farmers sometimes sell direct(this is getting less common now though)to the public & i always stromgly advise not buying from a mega multi breed kennels, there are responsible breeders who may have two or three breeds but if they do not compete with their dogs at all then I again advise not to touch the puppies(I can think of one top breeder who has several breeds but their dogs are all successful in the ring & can be seen to be of good quality, even the pet ones are a cut above the quality of the usual pet type-they are the exception though !)

You sound as if you are to some extent defending puppy dealers because you have been very very lucky. Ever though about the fate of your dogs parents when they come to the end of their fertility ?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Oh for goodness sake I am sick of this - I was told he was 10 weeks old and why in the world shouldn't he be 10 weeks old. We got his birthday of 23 March 2004 and he wasn't particularly small so yes he probably was 10 weeks old. I made a mistake going to this place and I hold my hands up and say this in all honesty - I DID NOT KNOW IT WAS A PUPPY FARM - I DID NOT KNOW WHAT A PUPPY FARM WAS - I HAVE ONLY LEARNED BY COMING ON DOG FORUMS AND THINGS I HAVE PICKED UP ON THE INTERNET
I am fed up of having to justify the fact that I made a mistake. We got a toy poodle puppy from a kennels 21 years ago and he didn't have his mother with him - was he a puppy farm product as well then??? He was Kennel club registered and lived until he was 17 years old and extremely healthy all his life and wonderful temperament too. I was 21 when I bought him and before him we had mongrels all our lives - we couldn't afford pedigrees anyway - so he was my first pedigree dog

And HOW DARE YOU accuse me of defending puppy farmers - yes we have been lucky with Benji but after reading what they are and what they do I would NEVER defend them - they sicken me to be honest.
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2005, 11:10 AM
hey foxy.... i wouldnt let it worry you... everyone had to learn someway!! i used to go into a place to look near me thats like that dogs 4 u years and years ago. like u i had no idea what they were doing and im sure like us most people on here had to learn.. its not built in!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2005, 11:15 AM
**Please remember not to make personal remarks and to keep the chat friendly ** We will assume no offence was meant so let none be taken ...
Thank you
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Loustaff
hey foxy.... i wouldnt let it worry you... everyone had to learn someway!! i used to go into a place to look near me thats like that dogs 4 u years and years ago. like u i had no idea what they were doing and im sure like us most people on here had to learn.. its not built in!!

Thanks Loustaff Its just that some of these people on here seem to think we should all know everything about breeders and dogs. We have never been without a dog in all my life and before I was born my sisters had a dog - a lovely mongrel called Judy. I got my GSD from a 'breeder' but no doubt she wouldn't stand up to the approval of some of the people on here - I didn't ask about health tests or anything - didn't even know such things existed - I have never been to a dog show and am not that interested to be honest - I just love a dog as an animal not as a showpiece - perhaps this is where I am going wrong. Why can't people just live and let live.

What I used to like about this forum was the fact it was non-judgemental and people were nice - now it seems everybody is out to tear a strip off you if say a wrong word - perhaps its time I left because frankly I am getting quite sick and tired of it - I just don't fit in here anymore
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2005, 11:28 AM
woah woah woah!! steady on there... your going nowhere... end of the day everyone has different morals etc.. and if yours differ from someone elses then thats how it is... makes you or them no lesser. noone has the right to get on there high horse and tear strips out of someone else for what they have or havent done. we are all equals on here, all on here for one reason... love of animals... wen did it all get so political!!
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »