Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Malka said

[lower case initial to distinguish you from Jen/Nippy!] - as it was gone 10am when the binmen came [and they are never really noisy] I am not complaining! I do with the Local Authority would let me buy a smaller 120 litre bin [the normal size for households in the UK I believe] instead of this mahoosive 360 litre one, as it really intrudes on my sight when looking out of the door, and my one small bag of rubbish is absolutely lost in it - the guys have to lean right inside to pick it up!

But no - I have to have the standard size because the smaller bins do not fit on the truck. It makes no difference that my bin is never taken out to the truck as it is not necessary and stays exactly where it is - no I have to have the big one. I would not care but I even had to pay for the bdooly thing as the LA only issue one bin for each plot even if there are two homes on that plot, as there are with my neighbours and mine, and if people want their own bin they have to pay for it.

Here in Ireland we buy bags in rural areas, Big heavy bin bags and the cost includes removal at set points.
So many recycle bins so I would take weeks to fill one bag. Never had one in all my years here..I use paper etc to light the range, recycle food tins, glass etc

Towns have the big wheelie bins ...
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
Anybody would think it's the middle of winter here. OH is sat in his chair wearing a BIG PADDED FLEECE & is covered up with a blanket. If he moved about a bit he'd get warm but no he'd rather stay like that. It's over 20d in the house so hardly cold.
He does annoy me sometime (well most of the time really)
Funny guy! Maybe he has thyroid trouble
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Rose - the only re-cycling container on the Moshav are for plastic bottles [and other plastic that can be re-cycled], cardboard boxes, and paper. I believe there is now one for clothes, shoes and handbags. Nothing for glass, tins or plastic bags, which have to go in the big wheelie bins.

Even the heaviest bin bag would not be any use as there are so many feral cats and other scavenging animals [and birds] around. With rabies being endemic it is not recommended to even put food out for the feral cats, although many people do.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Been watching the cutting from the window as was the cat. Fascinating seeing the wide swathes falling. Just the mower today and ll has a large area of land up here. Where I lived before it was much more automated; huge machine cutting and spewing it out at the top through a chute into a waiting truck; when the truck was full it would pull away and another come up. Like a ballet! They had a sileage pit there, whereas hey will be baling this.

Terrible weather for this but better to cut before it gets knocked down. Bad week ahead too.

Muzzy and weak here; had no idea a kidney infection was this bad, Imagine those two wee beans doing all this.

Still at least I am knitting today, well sometimes!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Rose - the only re-cycling container on the Moshav are for plastic bottles [and other plastic that can be re-cycled], cardboard boxes, and paper. I believe there is now one for clothes, shoes and handbags. Nothing for glass, tins or plastic bags, which have to go in the big wheelie bins.

Even the heaviest bin bag would not be any use as there are so many feral cats and other scavenging animals [and birds] around. With rabies being endemic it is not recommended to even put food out for the feral cats, although many people do.
Amazes me Ireland is so well organised in this area too. At the bottom of this back road by the post office a huge bank of recycling bins, a bin each for green, brown and clear glass ( I suppose with this being a drink culture,,,) a charity bin for clothes and shoes, aluminium tins, food tins.

Nothing for plastic bottles though; getting rid of the large milk flagons remains a challenge. We have a levy on plastic bags in shops. But you can buy them easily enough

Actually now you mention it I haven't seen bags here in Kerry so I have no idea if they are still used and of course what you say makes sense as this is a wild area with fixes ( and foxes! Leaving that typo as heard re a drug dealer living nearby,,))and crows etc and feral cats although thankfully no rabies. And I will always feed ferals of course. As the local cat population know
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
head off to Newmarket today for my 2 weeks job training. So nervous ha
Enjoy!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
head off to Newmarket today for my 2 weeks job training. So nervous ha
Good luck! I'm sure you will be fine once you relax!
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Funny guy! Maybe he has thyroid trouble
Don't think so. He takes medication for everything else though He said he's tired & can't keep his eyes open.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
Don't think so. He takes medication for everything else though He said he's tired & can't keep his eyes open.
Could be thyroid; affects body temp ...maybe just tired and old feeling

I knew someone here with thyroid and he got the family into debt with heating bills so the fleece sounds better!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Afternoon E hope the job training goes well.
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »