View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 08:26 AM
If you care, then DO SOMETHING. Preaching avails nothing. Emotion is useless!
Quite - but if the FACTS are kept hidden and it is all glossed over - no one would be made aware of the situation to be outraged enough to DO something would they?

There'd be no such thing as 'Dolphin Friendly' tuna and the like if people had not been made aware of what went on - enabling them to make a stand.

People have the choice to use the off switch or not listen to the news or whatever if the truth offends their sensibilities.

And to be honest - I don't call seeing nature in the wild 'gratuitious violence'. However a lot of the popular feature films and even popular TV series shown on TV do show what I consider 'gratuitious violence'.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi my question was When do we stop feeling,we showed our feelings that we didnt like Zoos as they were,and now the animals have a happier life,we didnt go to a circus for the same reason,yet Tv has gone too much the other way,yes you can turn it off,but do we and our children need to see to understand an animals pain,we all know what the ending is going to be,but we dont need to see it,couldnt a camera man show something else in the context of the programme,and then at the end of the programme as the titles are going up say something about what happened to the animal featured.
Gemini54
Perhaps you would also prefer children to think that the stork brought babies?

Someone from Médecins Sans Frontières or Save The Children - I do not remember exactly which organisation but I vividly remember the interview - was once asked how he and the others could see the famine and disaster and yet still eat themselves.

His answer was that if they did not look after themselves and keep themselves fit and healthy, they would not have the strength to look after the people who were suffering.

Life is real, Gemini. It is not Utopia where everyone has to wear rose-tinted spectacles.

To see life as it is does not mean that people do not care.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Quite - but if the FACTS are kept hidden and it is all glossed over - no one would be made aware of the situation to be outraged enough to DO something would they?

There'd be no such thing as 'Dolphin Friendly' tuna and the like if people had not been made aware of what went on - enabling them to make a stand.

People have the choice to use the off switch or not listen to the news or whatever if the truth offends their sensibilities.

And to be honest - I don't call seeing nature in the wild 'gratuitious violence'. However a lot of the popular feature films and even popular TV series shown on TV do show what I consider 'gratuitious violence'.
Pat; this is where you are going sideways somewhat. Thinking that folk want to "make a stand" etc.. same as with free range. Most simply shop for cheapest and what the kids will eat and that is fine too. I chat with so many in Tesco etc and would never dream of criticising their choice, They know already .I have NO RIGHT and NO NEED To do that

Your post typifies emotional blackmail! It really does and it has the opposite effect to the one you are seeking to make.

My question always is WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO about it YOU, not anyone else... And having done all you can, fine.

But you and I have no right to dictate ir suggest to others what they eat or do or to condescend and judge that they do not know what you do . REALLY! Not everyone cares and most have more than enough to deal with.

I have learned this through some hard experiences and mistakes, believe me and at the end you win more with honey than with vinegar

This is where MYOB comes in too

Do what YOU can and that is fine. Period. Give to rescues and watch all the filth you like ( and that is being emotive now!)

Leaving this thread as am too sick to work in it more but am disappointed in thee pat my friend.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Perhaps you would also prefer children to think that the stork brought babies?

Someone from Médecins Sans Frontières or Save The Children - I do not remember exactly which organisation but I vividly remember the interview - was once asked how he and the others could see the famine and disaster and yet still eat themselves.

His answer was that if they did not look after themselves and keep themselves fit and healthy, they would not have the strength to look after the people who were suffering.

Life is real, Gemini. It is not Utopia where everyone has to wear rose-tinted spectacles.

To see life as it is does not mean that people do not care.
Why not at an early age... later is good..

My family live this too BUT They are strong and special folk are the ones you quote... sometimes we have to travel at the pace of the weakest lamb and take OUR responsibility without expecting everyone else to do so

Your last quote is self contradictory and clones and expects that all are the same when we are not. I could not cope with what my family does and it would disempower me and that would lessen MY work to help them

and that would be sin on my part and wrong. I don't need to know details; only that there is need of money and prayer.

That is where so many here are not thinking fully.. The real question is WHAT CAN I DO; ME not anyone else.

Over and OUT! Owl hats to knit so they will sell and make cash for food....Blessings and peace to all..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Hi my question was When do we stop feeling,we showed our feelings that we didnt like Zoos as they were,and now the animals have a happier life,we didnt go to a circus for the same reason,yet Tv has gone too much the other way,yes you can turn it off,but do we and our children need to see to understand an animals pain,we all know what the ending is going to be,but we dont need to see it,couldnt a camera man show something else in the context of the programme,and then at the end of the programme as the titles are going up say something about what happened to the animal featured.
Gemini54
When do we stop feeling "what" ??

I guess you mean, compassion and saddened by the nasties in life.......... the answer to that is NEVER, but that does not mean we should pretend or sensor those things either.

Do we want our children to see animals in pain, not but tell me how you are going to stop that, if its not on TV its in real life, you have a pet, it gets ill it dies sometimes suffering, you have children, how are you going to shield them from that, you have a sick relative , they get ill and die, how are you going to shield your children from that.

Shielding children from nature does not do them any good in the long run, they are part of this world and will grow up in it, are you going to sensor every nasty till they suddenly emerge with frosted glasses as an adult to a world full of pain and suffering.

Slightly off topic , but I watched a debate on TV this morning about school sports days , and how it traumatises some children because they are not as good as others, people want to take the competitive spirit out of sports days and make it "no losers, ALL winners"!

What a load of nonsense............life is competitive, you shield children from this and you do them a disservice for when they reach adulthood.

Life knocks you down , shield your children from this and you are failing them, the secret is to be there , support them through any knocks or horrible things they see as they grow, if you are there for support with education , they will evolve to well adjusted adults....they don't live in a world of utopia , and neither do we.

We still have zoos and circuses , they still have animals, its only the wild animals in circuses that is no longer acceptable,

Because we can see it does NOT mean we don`t care, and because we can see it on TV, we can do something about it, you sensor life and we cant do ANYTHING!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Why not at an early age... later is good..

My family live this too BUT They are strong and special folk are the ones you quote... sometimes we have to travel at the pace of the weakest lamb and take OUR responsibility without expecting everyone else to do so

Your last quote is self contradictory and clones and expects that all are the same when we are not. I could not cope with what my family does and it would disempower me and that would lessen MY work to help them

and that would be sin on my part and wrong. I don't need to know details; only that there is need of money and prayer.

That is where so many here are not thinking fully.. The real question is WHAT CAN I DO; ME not anyone else.

Over and OUT! Owl hats to knit so they will sell and make cash for food....Blessings and peace to all..
I find the highlighted very condensing to be honest, I can think very clearly thank you , and "the real question" of what can I do, can only be answered due to the fact WE KNOW WHATS GOING ON!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 12:01 PM
I am vegeterian, my choice.My husband and children are not,also their choice. Speaking as a parent, my kids know how their food gets to their plate,we don't hide if from them therefore they can make an informed choice.In saying that,unfortunately the world is full of ugliness,that our children need to be aware of,for their safety.The fact that child sex abuse exists and that the real world has some sick, twisted people in it.In my opinion no parent has a choice of whether their child is informed of this.Heartbreaking and ugly as it is,to shield them from the truth is dangerous.Our children are over protected, they have to be.Its a painful truth that can't be swept under the carpet.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Hi

This post came about,because advertised in the TV was an early evening programme called Harbour Lights,it used to be a favourite haunt of mine with dogs and family,and as I am not mobile,find it difficult to access the beach in that area it is not easy to get down or up,so thought I will watch because it was about Poole,enjoyed seeing some of the places but Sandbanks I just dont know,I remember a dalmation we had called Oscar,and we were on Sandbanks Boxing Day,didnt realise that part of the beach was used for a Nature Club,and naked people were playing with a ball on a bit of elastic,well oscar wouldnt leave them alone,My Great Aunt Beatie had to go and retrieve him,she was nearly 70 then,and as she came off she said loudly whatever the fuss is about I have seen better specimens in the butchers and you are able to eat them too.Anyway enjoying this programme,suddenly we are with a seafood chef on a boat emptying his pots,he then gets this lobster which was quite aggressive with him,he stroked its head,and if it had been a cat it would have purred,I thought he was going to pick it up and put it back in the water,he said one for the pot £40,no recognition that this was a fellow creature with a brain and feelings,it really shook me,how bad TV has become.And the reason I said about people living abroad,was because TV coverage isnt world wide,you have complained on here about not seeing Paul O'Grady which is on our main stream TV,but maybe you should take your own advise,if you dont like what I have posted don't read it and if you have nothing good to say about anything dont say it because you end up showing yourself up.Gemini54
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi Jackpot

Yes I meant compassion,I know you cant wrap your children in cotton wool,but an all rounded education,them being aware that there are two sides of the coin in life,will equip them to face life and take the right path.Gemini54
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

24-06-2013, 08:08 AM
...[snip]...
Anyway enjoying this programme,suddenly we are with a seafood chef on a boat emptying his pots,he then gets this lobster which was quite aggressive with him,he stroked its head,and if it had been a cat it would have purred,I thought he was going to pick it up and put it back in the water,he said one for the pot £40,no recognition that this was a fellow creature with a brain and feelings,it really shook me,how bad TV has become.
A seafood chef emptying his pots [presumably lobster pots] catches a lobster and you thought he was going to put it back in the water?

What on earth do you think he was fishing for - compliments?
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >