Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Dogs and toddlers

I don't know if it's just a breed thing (or a sign of the media frenzy lately) but I am seeing a massive increase in Springers being handed over for re-homing as they have ''growled or snapped'' at a toddler.

Now I don't know if I'm soft, but I just assumed that ALL dogs had the potential to snap at an eye level, loud and irritating (to a dog) child, so it's really important to keep child and dog separate as much as possible.

Is it really necessary to re-home for this?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:20 AM
We have two year old niece here most days the dogs are allowed to play but only with very close supervision if I have to answer the phone in the same room they are put in the bedroom away from her. If one of them snapped or growled I would not rehome them but her mother would have to find other child care from that moment. Not so easy if the dog and the child is yours of course.

She is learning quite fast to be gentle with them, and Mollie is lovely with her, Duncan keeps his distance most of the time just coming for a stroke and a cuddle when he knows she is on my lap and not running around.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree that ANY breed has the potential to growl or snap. IF Axel ever did then I wouldn't rehome him I'd look at why and how to prevent. He's spent a fair amount of time about my nephews (3,2,1) and niece (3months) and has shown no inclination towards this behaviour. He is separated when we can't supervise and takes himself off to his 'den' (understairs cupboard) which is off limits to the children.
I think it's unfair to state breeds in these cases as all breeds could growl or snap if pushed too far. It's up the parents/guardians to supervise and enforce firm boundaries for the dogs and toddlers...
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We have two year old niece here most days the dogs are allowed to play but only with very close supervision if I have to answer the phone in the same room they are put in the bedroom away from her. If one of them snapped or growled I would not rehome them but her mother would have to find other child care from that moment. Not so easy if the dog and the child is yours of course.

She is learning quite fast to be gentle with them, and Mollie is lovely with her, Duncan keeps his distance most of the time just coming for a stroke and a cuddle when he knows she is on my lap and not running around.
Sounds perfect to me. In fact the highlighted bit was another concern. I've always thought pets, dogs especially are a great way to teach children how to nurture and respect animals. How will they learn of the family pet is just handed over to a rescue society every time it tries to tell the child (in it's language) to back off and the parents don't pick up on it!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I agree that ANY breed has the potential to growl or snap. IF Axel ever did then I wouldn't rehome him I'd look at why and how to prevent. He's spent a fair amount of time about my nephews (3,2,1) and niece (3months) and has shown no inclination towards this behaviour. He is separated when we can't supervise and takes himself off to his 'den' (understairs cupboard) which is off limits to the children.
I think it's unfair to state breeds in these cases as all breeds could growl or snap if pushed too far. It's up the parents/guardians to supervise and enforce firm boundaries for the dogs and toddlers...
Sorry, I was just referring to Springers because I know more about them and saw a perfectly good family pet up for re-homing due to having twice snapped at a toddler.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Louie plays with my neighbours toddler (supervised) and he licks, nips (Although it's only playing because he does the same to us and it's accidental also) and tramples the poor kid - Bailey, well he's a tough'un, gets up and asks for more.

Of course we can see when it's getting out of hand and will tell Louie to calm down - and get him to lay down for 5 minutes, Bailey also gets distracted by a toy so he doesn't bother Louie for 5 minutes.

But back to the original question, I think it is more the parent's fault. I wouldn't want a screaming child in my face - pulling my ears, mouth and everything else it could get it's hands onto - and I babysat 8 kids at one point! So why would a parent expect a dog to? We are lucky that Sadie and Louie have such good temperaments and they do put up with this but the child is also told when s/he has gone to far - and this is way before anything serious could happen to the child.

Me and Sadie's owner - never let it go unsupervised or to the point where it could turn into where either the child or the dog gets hurt. It is afterall common sense.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Personally I`d keep dogs and toddlers separate unless closely supervised. For the protection of the dog.
Toddlers jab fingers in eyes, clonk dogs over the head with toys, pinch food and make terrible noises at inopportune moments. They lurch about unpredictably and have no manners.
I found a playpen a terific piece of equipment to ensure the safety of my dogs.
Thankfully, toddlerdom doesn`t last long and you can start training them to behave like humans after that.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Sorry, I was just referring to Springers because I know more about them and saw a perfectly good family pet up for re-homing due to having twice snapped at a toddler.
I know you were, I didn't mean you...I mean (and perhaps wasn't very clear) the newspaper articles or online things about snapping or growling always make a big deal about whatever breed
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Personally I`d keep dogs and toddlers separate unless closely supervised. For the protection of the dog.
Toddlers jab fingers in eyes, clonk dogs over the head with toys, pinch food and make terrible noises at inopportune moments. They lurch about unpredictably and have no manners.
I found a playpen a terific piece of equipment to ensure the safety of my dogs.
Thankfully, toddlerdom doesn`t last long and you can start training them to behave like humans after that.
I saw this on another forum - but I think this illustrates why you shouldn't leave children with dogs:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...1t:429,r:0,s:0

Didn't realise another forum would come up behind - sorry!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I know you were, I didn't mean you...I mean (and perhaps wasn't very clear) the newspaper articles or online things about snapping or growling always make a big deal about whatever breed
Yes, I heard that when the akita bit a child the other day the news ran stories about staffies and rotties again. Grrrrrr!! ;o)

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I saw this on another forum - but I think this illustrates why you shouldn't leave children with dogs:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...1t:429,r:0,s:0

Didn't realise another forum would come up behind - sorry!
Very funny!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >