Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Wow - that's fab!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Wow, that's brilliant and a really good idea to mark such a big occasion!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Fantastic
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:13 AM
That is an amazing and very very thoughtful gift, lovely x
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 08:03 AM
That's fantastic - bet it's treasured. My mum made us a quilt for a wedding present last year - from silk she bought in China and it's amazingly beautiful and treasured - the whole bedroom decor scheme when we moved was developed from the colours and patterns in it.

They're really nice gifts and since my mum does them - I know how much time goes into them.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
That's fantastic - bet it's treasured. My mum made us a quilt for a wedding present last year - from silk she bought in China and it's amazingly beautiful and treasured - the whole bedroom decor scheme when we moved was developed from the colours and patterns in it.

They're really nice gifts and since my mum does them - I know how much time goes into them.
Sounds gorgeous! Any chance of a pic? No rush, when you have a mo....

J.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 09:29 AM
That is stunning really stunning but can I ask as question how did you get started? I have never been a seamstress or knitter anything like that however my Nan used to make rugs you knwo will a "hessian" sort of base then shewould make a pattern on the material and follow that decideidng on her colours etc when we all went she had a "shop brought one" for us and I really enjoyed that and would love to be able to quilt. To make something so beautiful.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
That is stunning really stunning but can I ask as question how did you get started? I have never been a seamstress or knitter anything like that however my Nan used to make rugs you knwo will a "hessian" sort of base then shewould make a pattern on the material and follow that decideidng on her colours etc when we all went she had a "shop brought one" for us and I really enjoyed that and would love to be able to quilt. To make something so beautiful.
As long as you have a sewing machine and know how to use it it really is quite straight forward. In fact you don't even need a sewing machine....but then you'd have to have much more patience than me!

I started with a book...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Sampler-...6211412&sr=1-3
but any book from the library that covers the basics would be fine. Mind you nowadays there are load of tutorials on the web so you could look there.

I started with a small sampler quilt to get the hang of working with colours and different blocks and have gone on from there. Unlike Tillymint I am not a professional! My quilts always feature loads of mistakes which I just says proves that they are home made!

Always happy to chat if you have any more questions.

J.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 10:52 AM
How lovely, what a great idea!

She looks great for her age and I just LOVE the name Nellie!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >