View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 05:03 PM
My brother has been making the Tesco Christmas cake kit for years it's delicious too
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Honestly, Christmas cakes are easy to make! I've done it since I was 14! I usually make in October and ice on the 23rd or 24th December. I keep it wrapped in a layer of grease proof and then a layer of foil, feeding it with brandy a couple of times. I make the cake from scratch but cheat a bit and use ready rolled icing Use warmed apricot jam to stick the marzipan to the cake and then the icing to the marzipan.
I went to catering college when I left school but still never made one It's more a time factor now & lack of it!
Buy kit, mix, cook - sorted
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
My brother has been making the Tesco Christmas cake kit for years it's delicious too
I thought this kit was a new thing! I don't normally go down the cake baking section though actually I don't normally go shopping, hub does it, unless I wander around Sainsburys in my lunch break & head straight for the sweets
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-11-2011, 07:05 PM
I make my own I think the kits are an expensive way of making a cake.

The Delia one for Waitrose only seems to have enough marzipan and icing for the top not round the sides too. Thats what the one I made earler on the advert shows.

If possible it is best to marzipan the cake a few days before icing lets it dry out so the oils don't taint the icing. Longer if possible.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I make my own I think the kits are an expensive way of making a cake.

The Delia one for Waitrose only seems to have enough marzipan and icing for the top not round the sides too. Thats what the one I made earler on the advert shows.

If possible it is best to marzipan the cake a few days before icing lets it dry out so the oils don't taint the icing. Longer if possible.
Thanks for info about the marzipan & icing Lynn........ I'm actually looking forward to making it now (er even if it is only a kit )
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I've never used a mix but I think he said the Tesco one also supplies a tin, or one of those silicon thingies.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I made my own at the end of September/beginning of October and it was fed regularly with brandy (until I drank the rest lol).

It's in it's tub, in greasproof awaiting me to get the marzipan and icing done.

And yes Lynn, I thought Delia's Waitrose one with only icing and marzipan on the top was a bit, dare I say, cheap looking for Waitrose!

Plus if you make your own you can leave out bits you don't like (nuts in my case).

Roll on Crimbo *om nom nom*
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Ooooooooooooooh!

Interesting!

The bf has been soaking some fruit in whiskey to make 'Winter Scotch' for next year which means the whiskey drenched fruit is mine..... perfect for a Christmas cake.

Oh nuts, I need a tin too! Wonder if my mum has one I can use !
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I went & bought the kit today & the icing kit. I forgot to buy proper butter though as we only use spread so will get the butter tomorrow & a lemon... only other thing I need to add is eggs. I had to buy the tin too It said use 8" tin but they only had 7" & 9" so I went for the 7" as it was deeper & has a loose bottom.
Everyone at the checkout was interested & the checkout lady (who makes her own) advised me to skewer it each week & put some brandy in even though the fruit it say "has been steeped in Armagnac"
The icing kit comes with rollable icing, marzipan, apricot jam, a star shaped cutter & some silver balls, enough to ice just the top, which suits me
That's all my nectar points used now
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Cool Suzie, can't wait to see the finished results!

Anyone got a good homemade recipe??
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >