View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Basically the ultimate safe place is the crate, but I hate the thought of leaving him in it for so long all the time.
I suppose we could leave him in the kitchen over night, instead of the crate, but wont that reverse his over night toilet training that's been going so well?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Heck Pidge, you sound like me lol I was like that worrying over leaving Marius and he was fine honestly....and as Woody is male I don't think he will ever discover how to turn the oven or washing machine on

I know crates are a pain to keep moving in and out of the kitchen (we felt that way too, but they are such a great use!) I thought as Woody thinks of the crate as his safe haven, it would help him adjust to you leaving him for the first time on his own. He will bound to be a bit unsettled at first and anything which gives him security will undoubtedly help him to adjust?

I'm not sure of the type of crate you have whether it's door opens to the side or up and over the top (ours was the latter which we used to padlock shut, as I like you was worried it would fall on him). You could do this, or if it is the side opening one, what about a padlock and chain to keep the crate-door open?

With regards to your kitchen units, well - we used to place the crate about a foot off the kitchen unit to effectively 'block' him getting his mitts on the majority of it (placing it lengthways against the unit, but not touching so he couldn't chew). The rest of the kitchen I used bitter-spray on to discourage him from nibbling and always left him chew toys like kong, nylabone etc. The only thing he ever did have a go at was the kitchen door-frame, but it was quite half-hearted!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Ela has been left on her own (except Cassie) since she was 10 weeks old. I leave the house at 8:30 and don't get back until 5:30pm. My Nan pops round at lunchtime.

My plan had been to keep her in her crate of a morning and allow her the run of downstairs with Cassie durning the afternoon. This plan was skuppered when she hated the crate and would not go in it or stay in it. So we puppy proffed the two rooms and took out as much as we could. We used vic vapour rub to cover anything we could move that was chewable. 6 months later and we have chewed window ledges and skirting boards but we knew this was the risk we took with getting a pup while we were both working.

In hindsight i am glad she didn't like the crate as though it would have made my life easier she is happy with cassie and they love each other lots.

Good luck what ever you choose to do x x x
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm sure he'll be fine. He'll soon get used to your routine of turning up lunchtime for food and fun! They are clever little creatures you know. Mine can even tell the time! Seriously, once it gets to about 2.30 in the afternoon, Tiani watches my every move, cos she wants to come on the school run

I would not crate for all those hours (that's just me though and I am as soft as poo ). Maybe crate in the morning and kitchen in the afternoon (so if there is any mess, you can clean it up when you have time at the end of the day).

If I were you though, I'd get a playpen (maybe these aren't so good for larger breeds - for Chis they are fab though). I make it into a little fun den for them if they are being left for any length of time (even though they have each other and never for longer than 4 hours). I make the bed in one area, a peepad down in another corner (don't know if you use those for Woody - probably not - the Chis never use it but just like it there in case they have the urge and don't want them getting all stressed) and lots of Nylabones and dry food placed here and there in the pen, so they can have fun looking for yummies under the blankies, etc.

Try not to worry about him. If he's anything like my monsters, he'll sleep the whole time you are out and boy will he have fun when you get home for lunch. Forget peace and a sandwich to relax
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Heck Pidge, you sound like me lol I was like that worrying over leaving Marius and he was fine honestly....and as Woody is male I don't think he will ever discover how to turn the oven or washing machine on

I know crates are a pain to keep moving in and out of the kitchen (we felt that way too, but they are such a great use!) I thought as Woody thinks of the crate as his safe haven, it would help him adjust to you leaving him for the first time on his own. He will bound to be a bit unsettled at first and anything which gives him security will undoubtedly help him to adjust?

I'm not sure of the type of crate you have whether it's door opens to the side or up and over the top (ours was the latter which we used to padlock shut, as I like you was worried it would fall on him). You could do this, or if it is the side opening one, what about a padlock and chain to keep the crate-door open?

With regards to your kitchen units, well - we used to place the crate about a foot off the kitchen unit to effectively 'block' him getting his mitts on the majority of it (placing it lengthways against the unit, but not touching so he couldn't chew). The rest of the kitchen I used bitter-spray on to discourage him from nibbling and always left him chew toys like kong, nylabone etc. The only thing he ever did have a go at was the kitchen door-frame, but it was quite half-hearted!
This is our crate (his "den"):

It opens out, either at the front or side. He doesn't mind going in there if he has to but wont ever go in it by choice.

The reason I was worried about switching things on is because we have a very modern kitchen and everything is touch button. He has also shown an un-healthy obsession with the washing machine! I'm not worried about him destroying anything as he''s just a puppy but I don't want him to get hurt!

Should I maybe trial him in each place for the first few days and see which one I think he is happier in?

I want someone to come to my house now and telll me what to do!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Cheeky you little babe! I like the idea of one place in the morning and one place in the afternoon! Nice one!

Although, if I do do that am I going to have to move the crate from each place or will he cope with just his bed in the kitchen in the afternoon?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Cheeky you little babe! I like the idea of one place in the morning and one place in the afternoon! Nice one!

Although, if I do do that am I going to have to move the crate from each place or will he cope with just his bed in the kitchen in the afternoon?

Awww, thanks Pidge

I think he will be fine with his bed. He'll be feeling like a real 'big boy' in the kitchen with his bed to curl into after all that ball chasing!
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I would puppy proof the kitchen and leave his crate door open.
Thats what I did for Hec when i went back to work.
Hector was crated all night and i just couldnt then lock him away for another 4 odd hours while i was out.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 02:59 PM
OMG. I just went off to take some "damage"pictures for Iso's thread. I thought it would be nice for you all to see Woody in the kitchen as well so popped him in there with a toy and a treat.

He did what he always does and jumped up at the gate but then started to chew the bars. I then heard this horrific yelping sound and he pulled away. I opened the gate immediately and checked his mouth but all was OK. It scared the crap out of me! what did he do? Twist his jaw, catch his lip or something? Now I'm scared to put him in the kitchen at all!!

I think I'll just take him in my handbag!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
He did what he always does and jumped up at the gate but then started to chew the bars. I then heard this horrific yelping sound and he pulled away. I opened the gate immediately and checked his mouth but all was OK. It scared the crap out of me! what did he do? Twist his jaw, catch his lip or something? Now I'm scared to put him in the kitchen at all!!
Don't panic Mr Mannering!!

He will probably have crunched too hard on the metal bars

Max can develop a limp if you look at him in a funny way.... and Murphy often runs into inanimate objects (that have been there longer than he has been alive)
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »