View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Where shall I leave him when I go back to work?

So I start my new job on Monday, which means that for the first time in Woody's little life we wont be with him all day.

My hours are 8.30-5, Mon - Fri with an hour for lunch. I only work 10 minutes away from work so will come back at 12.30 every day to let him out, give him his lunch and throw a ball for him in the garden for 40 minutes.

The question I have however is where to put him. We have two choices:

1) In his crate. He has soft, warm bed, chew toys, water and it's where he sleeps/feels safest. But he can't run about in it.

2) In the kitchen. I can put his chew toys and bed there and he can run about/play, but he is more likely to cause damage and relieve himself in there (making it tricky for me to clear up at lunch). It's also where we put him for time out if he's pushed his luck.

He tends to sleep most of the time when we're out anyway and it would obviously never be anymore than 4.5-5 hours at a time.

What do you think? I want him to be in the best place for him really.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
His crate is ideal for short periods, hes safe in there, and you can relax knowing hes not getting into mischief xx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Our boys are left in the kitchen when we are at work (but they sleep in there as well)

Personally, I wouldn't leave a dog in a crate for 4 hours, and would just deal with any mess etc as I went along (and our boys have made plenty!)

Again, another not-very-helpful post from me....
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I used to be in the same situation, even the 10 mins from work, and used to give my Pointer a good run before work, a quick run and play in the nearby rec at lunchtime and another short run in the evening. The rest of the time he was crated for his own safety (he was a chewer when he was a pup).

I used to feel terrible and worry myself silly until I was off work with the flu. My friend took him out for walks and I was upstairs in bed, so he wasn't aware I was around. He slept the whole time and I wasn't worried after that.

We did end up getting another dog to keep him company.

I just thought, when he used to see me get my coat on to go back to work he used to put himself back in his crate, so he can't have been that unhappy.

I used to fill a kong with bits of cheese and had water and food bowls on hoops on the side of the crate. When he got older and didn't chew I just let him sleep on the sofa with my other dog.

They say dogs have no time perception, not sure if that's true, but as long as he is exercised in between each stint in the crate then he should be fine.

I would worry about putting him in the kitchen, especially if he associates that with punishment, also he may hurt himself (or the kitchen) if he gets up to mischief.

Some owners set up web-cams to keep an eye on their dogs when they are out, is this a possibility for you?

Its not ideal having to leave them but we have to live in the real world.

Good luck with the new job.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Our boys are left in the kitchen when we are at work (but they sleep in there as well)

Personally, I wouldn't leave a dog in a crate for 4 hours, and would just deal with any mess etc as I went along (and our boys have made plenty!)

You're a chocolate teapot Iso! ;o)

I know what you mean though. He'll probably be happier and safer (and less messy ) in the carte, but the thought of him being in the small space for 4 hours at a time, twice a day is abit much really. We've done it before, when we've gone out but never for longer than 5 hours at a time and only once a day. He doesn't tend to play and run around when we're not here anyway, but I think maybe the kitchen would be better in terms of space. Dunno.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:52 AM
4 hrs in a crate isn't long as long as pups had a bit excersise before he goes in, I always fine routine works best and dogs adapt well to routines they feel secure knowing day to day whats happening, my 2 are in for 31/2 hrs I go up at lunch then leave them again for 31/2 hrs, I don't have any problems at all, in fact on my days off the wee one still likes a sleep when it would normally fit into her weekly routine xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
oh... thats a hard one! does he go in his crate at night? IF so for how long? how much time would he get out of it in the morning before work?
I would add it all up.. and try to give him as much of a break as poss, eg if he does 7/8 hours at night in the crate.. then 4.5 untill lunch then 4.5 untill you get home from work..thats 17 hrs a day. But you could break it up, if say your partner gets up really early for work, he could get up 45 mins earlier letting the dog out, you could do the same or even an hour for you if you get up later than your partner...
that alone takes almost two hours off his time in the crate...

good luck with the new job xx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by DalaiMama View Post
Some owners set up web-cams to keep an eye on their dogs when they are out, is this a possibility for you?
We've done this before. He just sleeps or chews quietly on a chew toy. He also never seems frantic and upset when we get back, just walks out calmly and goes out for a pee/poo.

Argh!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

Im not a big fan of crate all night then crate all day when people are working.........but that said some pups are just hell bent on hurting themselfs.

A good idea for the OP would be to puppy froof the kitchen... eg make sure there are no wires that can be chewed,. put baby locks on the kitchen unit doors that sort of thing
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I'd need to put steel cupboards in to puppy proof my kitchen for Toro, even at that I think she'd give it a good go lol x
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »