Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 12:46 PM

Apparently I may have a Fractured Foot

If I have I have had it for months.
For a long time now I have been in pain with my foot and its made me limp sometimes more than others. Its been going on for so many months I have just got used to it and presumed I must have twisted it at some point and because I am older its just never healed quite right or its a touch of arthritis. However the past few months on and off during the night I wake up in a lot of pain with my foot and its been getting worse.
I did mention it to a doctor at the practice when I was there about 2 months ago, she didn't look at it just said get some supports for your shoes.

This morning I headed up and saw my normal DR as it really is getting very painful and the way I walk on it is now causing me a lot of hip pain.

He pressed across the top of my foot and actually made me scream out with pain then he pushed my toes back and the pain across the top of my foot made me yell out again.
He aske me to push my foot against his hand and I couldn't it was too painful. He thinks it may be a fracture and I have to go and have it x-rayed first thing tomorrow morning.
In the meantime he has given me some anti inflamatry pain killers to try and help.

All this pushing and pulling this morning has really left me in a lot of pain now, so I just hope I can get through work ok this afternoon and evening as I am constantly on my feet and up and down flights of stairs.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Oh no thats not good news, I bet you wanted to give your DR a good slap when he did that It's not good when you have to work too, have the meds made any difference to the pain???
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-04-2013, 01:13 PM
OMG Bev, its all feet in your house one way or another. I hope they strap it up for you so it isn't as painful, nothing worse
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Oh poor you! And I don't think they do anything much for fractures apart from strapping? Let us know what the x-ray reveals.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Oh no Bev if you have fractured the foot it won't of helped with the work you do. If the x-rays reveal a fracture will the Dr sign you off to rest it and would you get paid ?
I hope the pain killers work soon.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Ouch - poor you Bev. (((hugs))) xx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Oh no thats not good news, I bet you wanted to give your DR a good slap when he did that It's not good when you have to work too, have the meds made any difference to the pain???
I havn't started the meds yet. I only handed the persciption in the chemist after seeing the doctor lunchtime so have to go back up there after work to collect them

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
OMG Bev, its all feet in your house one way or another. I hope they strap it up for you so it isn't as painful, nothing worse
Lol I know chop everyones feet off and we will all be fine

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Oh poor you! And I don't think they do anything much for fractures apart from strapping? Let us know what the x-ray reveals.
Its the bone across the top of my foot which usually means plaster I think, but as it would be an old fracture now, if it is definetly a fracture as the doctor thinks, it may or may not have partially healed, so could even need an op to rebreak it and then plaster. Not sure i would want that though.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Oh no Bev if you have fractured the foot it won't of helped with the work you do. If the x-rays reveal a fracture will the Dr sign you off to rest it and would you get paid ?
I hope the pain killers work soon.
The doctor would sign me off but no I wouldn't get paid, so I cannot do anything that means time off work.

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Ouch - poor you Bev. (((hugs))) xx
Thanks for the hugs Malka
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Sounds like you've been through the mill today, feet up and take it easy as soon as you can. Good luck.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Blimey poor you, that must be soooo painful.
Take care and as Tang says let us know what the x-rays show.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Ouchie Bev. Why do they always have to do that!!! Grrrr Why don't they just know what it is when you point to it and explain without having to put you through the pain like that.

I'd try icing it Bev. An old fracture isn't going to suddenly alter the way it's healing by way of a plaster or anything else come to that. You could try putting a sports bandage over it, which are always much tighter than the tubigrips (I know this cos I have quite an arrary of these with my injuries!). Ice and a tight bandage will at least keep the pain to a minimum and once you've done that, it will eventually go away again....for a while, until you do something to annoy it again. Oh I have mountains of experience with this type of thing, especially ankles, knees and hips.

I've come to the conclusion that getting older is not desirable, and I know what my doctor is going to say to me, so I just don't bother going anymore. Did they EVER sort out your chest pains Bev??? All those tests, and there you are, no further forward. I sometimes wonder if they really care, we're just another tick in some box on some bit of paper, to prove they went through the motions, leaving us to suffer in silence.

Years ago, I jumped off a pile of hay bales from a great height (stoopid thing to do) and landed with my foot sideways in a wooden pallet The noise was horrendous and it wasn't the pallet breaking either, it was my foot Everyone was gobsmacked, they laid me down on the ground and thought I'd broken my ankle/foot/leg even. However, within a few minutes I tried to walk and I could Every now and again, if I put it "out" I suffer with it, and then I have to do the same thing again, to put it "back" and that's how it goes.

I wish you luck, but don't hold yer breath even if you get an x-ray, I very much doubt they've got a magic wand sadly.