Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 09:37 PM

Wheezing and breathless at night

I have just given up on Google because it scares you to death

I wonder if anyone out there has any experience/knowledge of this? A brief summary of the problem:

About two weeks ago a stubble field down the road caught fire and the smoke drifted over us for about 24 hours - it was in the house, everywhere. After that, I could taste it in the back of my throat for a further three or four days - it was if there was a coating of the stuff there. Then my chest started to feel a little tight, but nothing too dramatic until three nights ago. I went to sleep as normal, but woke up at about 3 am wheezing and having difficulty breathing - I got up to walk around and became very breathless indeed so went back to bed trying not to panic! My heart was thumping, and I was almost gasping. I propped myself up and it eventually eased. The same thing has happened each night since.........There is little coughing, and when I do cough it is dry. I went to the chemist today, and they (not the actual Chemist) sold me a decongestant chesty cough mixture, saying that it would help to loosen things up; but I have just noticed on the warnings that it says not to take it if there is any wheeziness!!

Will smother myself in very sexy Vick tonight to see if that helps, but it is worrying, and of course, it is the weekend
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2012, 09:43 PM
have you tried taking an anti-histamine before going to sleep? i hope it eases soon xxx my OH suffers with asthma and depending on the year, his attacks can be pretty bad. as a precaution nowadays he takes an antihistamine every day and seems to be helping him
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Is that what it sounds like? Asthma? I must admit that I did wonder if there was some sort of allergic reaction being triggered.

I think that I have some tablets, but if not will get some from the chemist tomorrow to see if they help. Thank you so much for that.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Hi Sally you would be wise to go and see your Doctor, over the counter medicine can make thinks worse.
Until you can get to see a doctor try sleeping propped up,this will help the breathing.

Also if you are feeling short of breath sit upright in a chair,try to relax and breath slowly in through your nose and out through your mouth.
If your breathing becomes really difficult contact your out of hours Dr service don't leave it.

I am shocked to find I have developed late onset asthma triggered by a respiratory tract infection and now take a daily steroid spray (to prevent my lungs becoming inflamed ) I also have a bronchodilator 'rescue' spray to open the airway when my breathing is bad.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Is that what it sounds like? Asthma? I must admit that I did wonder if there was some sort of allergic reaction being triggered.

I think that I have some tablets, but if not will get some from the chemist tomorrow to see if they help. Thank you so much for that.

to me it sounds like an allergic reaction. i only mention my OH because it appears he's allergic to thin air sometimes and with him being asthmatic, allergic reactions are common for him. and so taking an anti-allergy calms everything down.

although an anti allergy tablet may alleviate the symptoms, i would go and see your gp if it persists.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks Mini......I will take two extra pillows with me tonight to see if that helps, but if it keeps happening then I will make an appointment on Monday to see the doctor, and if I am really worried will ring the emergency doc number.

I am so sorry that you have developed late onset asthma - I do wonder what is going on these days because our grandson aged 5 has just been confirmed as asthmatic after several emergency trips to to the hospital with breathing difficulties. (So frightening when it's a child), and I gather that in the staff room at school there is a whole row of inhalers for various children. When I was little an asthmatic child was very rare.

Thank you for the tips - I hope that it doesn't get worse over the weekend
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
to me it sounds like an allergic reaction. i only mention my OH because it appears he's allergic to thin air sometimes and with him being asthmatic, allergic reactions are common for him. and so taking an anti-allergy calms everything down.

although an anti allergy tablet may alleviate the symptoms, i would go and see your gp if it persists.
The only tablets I have are the ones for hayfever, and allergic reactions such as itching etc. Not sure if those will be any good I will definitely see the doctor asap if it continues over the weekend.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
The only tablets I have are the ones for hayfever, and allergic reactions such as itching etc. Not sure if those will be any good I will definitely see the doctor asap if it continues over the weekend.
hayfever tablets are the ones my OH takes he has the non drowsy type (he's a softy) from asda
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Sorry - was back in the 1800s then (family history!), I thought that everyone would have gone to bed.

I will take one to see if it helps. Thank you for that - I will report tomorrow if I am still here