Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 11:36 AM

Beginning to really struggle now.

I have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I've yet to start treatment but they've just taken more blood to check for anti-bodies linked to hashimotos disease.

For the last year I've found myself stuttering, unable to find the words I need, forgetting things people told me 5 minutes ago and struggling to get my head round things. I thought it was just me, I don't know why, I'm 23 so a bit young for memory issues. I guess I was just in denial. Lately it's got a lot worse and coupled with constant exhaustion I'm finding everything a bit too much at the moment.

I work full time and there have been evenings in recent weeks where I've barely made it home. I'm so tired I can barely lift my feet. The boys aren't getting the walks that they used to and Scooby is really not coping with me being so weird.

I've had three days off this weekend and finally managed to get the dishes done and the house cleaned. I slept well last night but the night before I was awake from midnight to 3 am which is becoming a regular thing.

I don't feel I can talk to my Dad about it because I don't want to worry him. My manager knows what's going on and has been very supportive. She wants me to get signed off or atleast on light duties but I don't see the doc again til the 25th. I don't really want to be signed off, I hate being stuck at home. Work makes me get up and do things rather than sit around feeling sorry for myself but it does take a lot out of me.

I don't know why I've written this, I think I just needed to vent. I have no experience of this, it doesn't run in my family. The only knowledge I have is based on dogs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Aw Jen don't despair (hug)x

Once you gets the meds sorted you should feel a lot better
For now pace yourself, do the important jobs first, then what work you can and leave the rest.
My niece has hypothyroidism. She was first diagnosed in her 20s when she had three small children and a high powered job in her local Education Authority which involved a lengthy commute, she was a breaking point at one stage.
Since being diagnosed some years ago and treated she has been fine.

I am borderline for hypothyroidism something which was discovered recently by accident when my bloods were being tested for another problem . They will retest in April . I get a dreadful tiredness which suddenly comes from nowhere .

Be positive and hug your lovely dogs, I am sure things will improve for you soon..
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, like you say you are only young, and you should be enjoying life and not struggling like this.
I hope once you get your meds sorted life becomes easier for you.
Big hugs and puppy kisses from the babies
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Aw Jen don't despair (hug)x

Once you gets the meds sorted you should feel a lot better
For now pace yourself, do the important jobs first, then what work you can and leave the rest.
My niece has hypothyroidism. She was first diagnosed in her 20s when she had three small children and a high powered job in her local Education Authority which involved a lengthy commute, she was a breaking point at one stage.
Since being diagnosed some years ago and treated she has been fine.

I am borderline for hypothyroidism something which was discovered recently by accident when my bloods were being tested for another problem . They will retest in April . I get a dreadful tiredness which suddenly comes from nowhere .

Be positive and hug your lovely dogs, I am sure things will improve for you soon..
Wow, I'm struggling enough living on my own and taking care of the three hooligans let alone having kids as well! I'm glad your niece is doing well on the treatment it gives me hope, thank you I hope your bloods come back ok. It's the exhaustion and brain fog that really get me down. I just feel useless. I've done nothing today and yet I'm still tired.

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this, like you say you are only young, and you should be enjoying life and not struggling like this.
I hope once you get your meds sorted life becomes easier for you.
Big hugs and puppy kisses from the babies
Thank you Tawney. I'm spending the day hugging Malcolm on the sofa and trying to make the most of the sunshine. I guess I'm just a bit down and lonely at the moment and this is the only place I felt I could come to, to talk.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
I have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I've yet to start treatment but they've just taken more blood to check for anti-bodies linked to hashimotos disease.

For the last year I've found myself stuttering, unable to find the words I need, forgetting things people told me 5 minutes ago and struggling to get my head round things. I thought it was just me, I don't know why, I'm 23 so a bit young for memory issues. I guess I was just in denial. Lately it's got a lot worse and coupled with constant exhaustion I'm finding everything a bit too much at the moment.

I work full time and there have been evenings in recent weeks where I've barely made it home. I'm so tired I can barely lift my feet. The boys aren't getting the walks that they used to and Scooby is really not coping with me being so weird.

I've had three days off this weekend and finally managed to get the dishes done and the house cleaned. I slept well last night but the night before I was awake from midnight to 3 am which is becoming a regular thing.

I don't feel I can talk to my Dad about it because I don't want to worry him. My manager knows what's going on and has been very supportive. She wants me to get signed off or atleast on light duties but I don't see the doc again til the 25th. I don't really want to be signed off, I hate being stuck at home. Work makes me get up and do things rather than sit around feeling sorry for myself but it does take a lot out of me.

I don't know why I've written this, I think I just needed to vent. I have no experience of this, it doesn't run in my family. The only knowledge I have is based on dogs.
*HUGS*

I used to work with someone who was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and it really seemed the worst part was before she was diagnosed and on medication.

Hopefully when you start treatment you'll feel a whole lot better and start finding the energy for life again - I have something completely different which makes me slump down on the sofa with no motivation for anything some days and I know how frustrated I get with myself for not doing anything - so I can begin to imagine how you must be feeling.

Remember though, if you were recovering from a broken leg etc you would be taking things easy - just because the outward signs aren't so obvious doesn't mean you don't need rest!

These are the bad days, but the good ones are in sight!
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Thank you Niccie, I hadn't really thought of it like that. Broken legs are just more obvious to the people around us. I feel guilty when I can't help with everything at work or when I forget something and the other staff have to point it out to me.

I hope you are getting help for yourself as well. *hugs*
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post

Hi I know exactly how you feel,was diagnosed with Mutiple Sclerosis which is terminal and every dayis a struggle,just recently to add to the mix they found I had an underactive thyroid,my only way of dealing with it is with humour i.e,Sometimes get slurred
speech lurch everywhere and you can see people thinking she's drunk,so I got some T-shirts printed I'm not drunk its the MS,my biggest problem is mobility,so am vitually house bound,though if its warmer can go outside,as cold really causes me problems.Just take each day as it comes,and I will look out for your posts.crystalgirl
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Hi

You are so right,but I get soooooooooooo frustrated,not being able to do the simplest of things I shot myself in the foot,because I was worried about family and friends and there reaction,hate fussing and poor you,decided to move rather then let them see me in a bad state.What with having no broad band till recently,my OH is feeling totally isolated as its his family mainly and I wont let him tell them the score,sometimes I wish it was all over,its such a cruel condition crystalgirl
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-02-2013, 04:34 PM
(((Hugs))) to you Jen my friend was diagnosed with under active thyroid some years ago now and since being on medication she is fine and copes well with life now I hope this is the same for you when they sort your medication.

Crystalgirl I knew someone I worked with who had MS and suffered the same problems as you with regards to people thinking she was drunk. She did overcome it eventually getting upset over what people thought. Love the idea of the t.shirt you have printed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 04:43 PM
First I am sorry to hear of your problem especially at your tender age.

Second - hell don't worry about housework! And do not FEEL GUILTY if you aren't exactly a powerhouse of energy to cope with everyday stuff.

I have a very good pal (around 40ish) who is severely affected with epilepsy. Extreme tiredness and word retrieval problems both affect her. In addition to this she suffered from obesity.

She was a nurse in an intensive care unit but had to scale down her work load and now work where she is not directly dealing with the patients. She said her biggest problems were what she calls her 'brain not behaving properly'. Making it very difficult for her to deal with families of patients. Also had to stop driving.

She manages to laugh about her condition and I am delighted to report that last year she met and married a most wonderful bloke!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >