Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2012, 08:01 PM

Am I right to be annoyed?

It was my birthday last Friday and my youngest sister ( I'm the eldest of three girls) hasn't even bothered to send me a card. She sent me a text late on Friday night saying 'happy birthday'. That was it, 'no sorry I haven't dropped a card off'.

When it was my fortieth four years ago, she turned up two weeks late with a card. It bugs me in that her and her OH have three children and I never miss any of their birthdays and usually get up to their house a few days before to make sure they get at least a card with money in on the day. She is always at least a week late sending something as simple as a card. I'm not saying I want a present but a card at least would be nice.

When it was her fortieth last November, I gave her spa vouchers and had flowers delivered on the day.

Would this annoy anyone on here or am I expecting too much?
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
It was my birthday last Friday and my youngest sister ( I'm the eldest of three girls) hasn't even bothered to send me a card. She sent me a text late on Friday night saying 'happy birthday'. That was it, 'no sorry I haven't dropped a card off'.

When it was my fortieth four years ago, she turned up two weeks late with a card. It bugs me in that her and her OH have three children and I never miss any of their birthdays and usually get up to their house a few days before to make sure they get at least a card with money in on the day. She is always at least a week late sending something as simple as a card. I'm not saying I want a present but a card at least would be nice.

When it was her fortieth last November, I gave her spa vouchers and had flowers delivered on the day.

Would this annoy anyone on here or am I expecting too much?
Some people are just born selfish and unthinking. When it's someone close to you it's very hurtful.
Happy BIrthday by the way, hope you had a good day at least. x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I never get a card or a phone call from my sister. TBH I have got passed caring....I just don't bother about her's now either.
It was always expected of me to telephone her and then it was always a 2 or 3 hour chat at my expense.

Im sure if you accidently forget her's next time she will soon bleat then you can say how it annoyed you over yours

Must say I hate birthday cards a week late, much rather they were on the day or none at all
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2012, 09:23 PM
i'd say it depends on the situation. if things like this happen occassionally maybe she's under a lot of stress or has a bad memory. my memory is rubbish cos of lack of sleep & way too much pain but i write birthdays on my calendar so i dont forget although i did still forget my brothers this year. im still waiting for xmas present from him though so dont feel quite so guilty as i would if he had a good memory
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 09:41 PM
As I hate birthdays, it never bothers me when people forget. I always get two cards, guaranteed, from my mam and my sister. My brother doesn't bother and neither did my late brother.

We all exchange cards at Christmas though which we all like more than birthdays.

With my kids, it's hit and miss as to whether they remember my birthday, but I can say with all honesty, it never bothers me a bit.

It's great to hate birthdays - that way, you're never really disappointed and there's never any hard feelings

Got to say though, much as I hate my own birthday, I always send cards out and it worries me if I do accidentally forget one - go figure!!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I'd rather get a text than a card. I don't have to allocate space for a text, I don't have to work out what the socially accepted display time is, before I can add it to the recycle pile etc.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-08-2012, 10:13 PM
This has been happening to someone I know for a good few years. She's also the eldest, but her two younger sisters don't buy her anything for her birthday or make an effort at all, yet, when it's either of their birthdays the other speaks to the oldest sister and says 'shall we go halves?' - and it's usually for something quite expensive too! They know the eldest is a single parent with two children and not much money - whereas the the two youngest still live with their parents and have flashy phones/private number plates etc.

She says she' can't be bothered with them any more - and I don't blame her.

Maybe that's an attitude worth considering adopting Karen
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
This has been happening to someone I know for a good few years. She's also the eldest, but her two younger sisters don't buy her anything for her birthday or make an effort at all, yet, when it's either of their birthdays the other speaks to the oldest sister and says 'shall we go halves?' - and it's usually for something quite expensive too! They know the eldest is a single parent with two children and not much money - whereas the the two youngest still live with their parents and have flashy phones/private number plates etc.

She says she' can't be bothered with them any more - and I don't blame her.

Maybe that's an attitude worth considering adopting Karen
Now that would bug even me
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 06:11 AM
I wouldn't bother with her birthday anymore.......

Don't let her treat you like this, love, "family" shouldn't do this

xxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 06:19 AM
It used to upset me when I was younger, but to be honest I'm the worlds worst at remembing to send cards on time. Its not (usually) that I forget the birthday altogether, just that one minute it seems ages away and the next its arrived without me havig bought the card!

If I was you, I'd carry on doing cards for her children, but not bother to send her one for her birthday - if she says anything you can just say 'oh sorry, I thought we weren't doing cards anymore'.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >