Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
Hi Brierley, thanks for the reply,
It seems the success of the op. is the luck of the draw. Several people have said it often comes back. At the moment it isn't bothering me too much but I am noticing both my wedding ring and little finger are beginning to be slightly affected. Quite scarey when you google it so hence my asking here.
With Gary, the op 'lasts' for about 18 months then the characteristic 'lump' starts to form again and the finger gradually starts to bend - getting gradually worse over time.

Here they will only operate once the finger is well bent over and when there is pain.

There isn't a family history, but Gary is epileptic
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
With Gary, the op 'lasts' for about 18 months then the characteristic 'lump' starts to form again and the finger gradually starts to bend - getting gradually worse over time.

Here they will only operate once the finger is well bent over and when there is pain.

There isn't a family history, but Gary is epileptic
Touch wood, I've got no pain and maybe living over here I won't experience any - I notice people have said they have pain when it's cold (although we do have cold winters from time to time). I'm not even going to go to the spanish doc. so will maybe just wait and see my GP back in the Uk if it gets worse. I read there were certain types of people who were particularly prone to this, as you say epileptics, stroke victims, diabetics and alcoholics. I guess it's just wait and see really. Must be a complete pain to have this when you're young though. x
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
A friend of mine has it & I call it her Maggie Thatcher finger
Well, Frank Sinatra had it and Bill Nighy has it. I am clearly joining an exclusive club......... NOT
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 06:40 PM
My husband has this problem and the orthopod.cons. told him the Vikings suffered with this condition so he must have Viking ancestry!!!!
My husband's hand got worse and worse and it was painful, so when it got to a 45 degree bend the consultant said it needed surgery and he went on the waiting list. Being a coward, he turned down the surgery first time round and by the time they sent for him again 6 months later his pain was less. We had a dog about this time who pulled on the lead and he swears it was holding onto the lead of this pulling dog that started to straighten his fingers out. He has now decided not to have the surgery because his fingers are getting straighter and they don't hurt at all anymore. The lumps at the base of his fingers have also shrunk. Strange, but there is definitely a big improvement, so we can't think what else it could be that caused the improvement.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
My husband has this problem and the orthopod.cons. told him the Vikings suffered with this condition so he must have Viking ancestry!!!!
My husband's hand got worse and worse and it was painful, so when it got to a 45 degree bend the consultant said it needed surgery and he went on the waiting list. Being a coward, he turned down the surgery first time round and by the time they sent for him again 6 months later his pain was less. We had a dog about this time who pulled on the lead and he swears it was holding onto the lead of this pulling dog that started to straighten his fingers out. He has now decided not to have the surgery because his fingers are getting straighter and they don't hurt at all anymore. The lumps at the base of his fingers have also shrunk. Strange, but there is definitely a big improvement, so we can't think what else it could be that caused the improvement.
Thanks, I was hoping to get some anecdotes like this and the ones I've read have been very helpful. I read about the Viking origin too....lol.... Think I will just continue to monitor its progress and see what happens. I also read about cortisone injections - not sure but think this maybe what I had when I had tennis elbow lhs again funnily enough. That was the most excruciatingly painful thing I have ever experienced bar childbirth so don't want to go down that route. Glad your hubby is improving though.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Sounds very much like what my little brother has - we didn't know there was a name for it and just termed it his freaky finger to be honest.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 09:57 AM
The exercises the physio gave my lad post op and which he's supposed to carry on doing (but rarely does) were to put finger tips on a table and gently push down to stretch the fingers. Also to squeeze a ball in the affected hand. He said to do this little and often throughout the day. He also advised to to any exercises that gently pushed the affected finger as this would help to keep the finger more flexible and delay it bending back over.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
The exercises the physio gave my lad post op and which he's supposed to carry on doing (but rarely does) were to put finger tips on a table and gently push down to stretch the fingers. Also to squeeze a ball in the affected hand. He said to do this little and often throughout the day. He also advised to to any exercises that gently pushed the affected finger as this would help to keep the finger more flexible and delay it bending back over.
Thanks, funnily enough read this somewhere so have found myself doing this yesterday and today. I have a squidgy ball too so will go and find that. My middle finger is feeling quite achey today am hoping it's just psychological more stretching then.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Sounds very much like what my little brother has - we didn't know there was a name for it and just termed it his freaky finger to be honest.
I have read that children also get this. Maybe keep an eye on it then?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2