Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Done it again

I missed last year's scheduled mammogram because Pereg was having bad uncontrollable episodes and I would not leave her, and I have just found the letter "inviting" me to go for one on 15 July.

Which I have obviously missed as today is 18 July.

Buggrit.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Reschedule and GO. They are getting better and better at detecting changes before they turn into anything threatening. The sooner they see something the easier it is to treat.

Do it for Pereg.

Do it to stop me nagging you.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Cannot do it Deb. Cannot get there physically even if I would leave Pereg, which I will not. Can not get there. It is as simple as that.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2012, 08:58 AM
are there mobile mammogram units available to you?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
are there mobile mammogram units available to you?
The mammogram department is at the hospital in town, maybe 15-20 minutes away by taxi. Including the time from telephoning from a taxi to come out from town, actually arriving, say maybe I could be there in one hour.

Hang around until mammogram is done, telephone for a taxi to come and collect me and bring me home....

...no way.

And physically I cannot do it in any case.

Just wish they would stop sending me "invitations" [ie appointments] that I cannot keep.

Why will they not just leave me alone?
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2012, 09:30 AM
have you tried ringing the hospital and explaining your situation? they may have other options which you could take advantage of e.g. a local GP practice.

they wont leave you alone because its important. as has already been said, breast cancers can be detected so early with the technology that's available. and the experts that read the films are highly skilled (consultant level) in the area of mammography so they can give you confident results
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
have you tried ringing the hospital and explaining your situation? they may have other options which you could take advantage of e.g. a local GP practice.

they wont leave you alone because its important. as has already been said, breast cancers can be detected so early with the technology that's available. and the experts that read the films are highly skilled (consultant level) in the area of mammography so they can give you confident results
Our local GP is now only here for 2 hours on a Monday [4-6pm] and 1½ hours on Thursday [8.30-10am].

Hospital does not care. Or you turn up or you do not. There is absolutely no help for people with disabilities, and if you cannot get there then too bad.

I cannot get there, so too bad. They know I cannot get there but there is no help to enable me to do so therefore they are not bothered whether I turn up or not.

I desperately need to go to the dentist but cannot get there, so too bad.

I know I need another mammogram due to past history of breast tumours, but I cannot physically get to the hospital. Could not do so even if I could leave Pereg. I can do very little for myself but at least I can do everything and care for Pereg for whatever she needs.

It is not just that I cannot leave her - it is that physically I cannot get to the hospital without help, and I do not have any help.

Sorry - I am tired and need sleep and cannot explain any more.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Come on Malka, I don't mean to be disrespectful now, but what use to Pereg are you if you are very ill?

I have had breast cancer twice. I'm only 45 now. Started with it at 16 year old. Not only that, but have suffered with fistulas as well in both breasts that incurred lots of invasive surgery that could have been avoided had tests been available at a younger age.

We all care very much for you and your darling Pereg.

Isn't it worth the effort to get for a check once every three years?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Pereg will be cared for if I am unable to do so. But what you cannot seem to grasp is the fact that I am physically unable to get to the hospital for the mammogram.

Do you think I do not know about breast tumours? I have had five removed surgically so far and know I have another three that have been there for some time now.

I can not physically get to the hospital unless I can pay £300 for a private ambulance to come and collect me for the 15 minute journey to take me to the hospital, and another £300 for a private ambulance to bring me home.

And even if I had the money, which I do not, I am not prepared to leave Pereg by herself for that length of time.

I wish I had not started this thread because none of you really know my circumstances, and it is so easy to tell me what I know I should do when you do not understand why it is impossible for me to do it.

Sorry.

Wish I had kept sitting on my hands and not saying anything.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 10:43 AM
OK Malka. Sorry I replied
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >