Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I have familial Hypercholesterolemia - in other words I have very high cholesterol levels in my blood.

Both my sisters take Statins for familial Hypercholesterolemia - I do not. I did, but within a very short time I had such bad side effects that I stopped taking them. I was then prescribed different statins which had to be approved by the Health Fund as they cost a fortune.

I had to stop taking them within less than a week, and nobody can ever accuse me of not eating healthily.

If high cholesterol is genetic it does not make any difference whether you are prescribed statins or not, and statins can, and do, cause far more damage to the body than familial/genetic high blood cholesterol do.

There are far too many medications prescribed these days - causing far too many side effects.
I was exactly the same, they used me as a guinea pig with a lot of them, then did blood tests and immediately told me to come off them coz liver enzymes had shot up. I then had to see a special doc at the hospital who presribed the ONLY one that would suit me, it didn't, same thing happened, so I just can't go there with those.

Sounds like you have the same thing as me there grandma, but then, that's not surprising is it seeing as how we're related!!!!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 11:30 AM
I managed to get mine down from 6.2 to 5.4 just by using cholesterol lowering drinks. They do work with a healthier diet.
You have to look at the lipid profile when looking at cholesterol levels. Basically the reading you have been given is a total cholesterol level. In a lipid profile they break down all the elements of cholesterol showing the good and bad cholesterol and triglycerides. If the bad cholesterol and triglycerides are high then that is more of a problem. If the good cholesterol is high then that's less of a problem. The blood should also be taken after you have fasted to give a true picture. So your reading may not be as bad as it seems. It's hard to know without seeing the full profile.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I managed to get mine down from 6.2 to 5.4 just by using cholesterol lowering drinks. They do work with a healthier diet.
You have to look at the lipid profile when looking at cholesterol levels. Basically the reading you have been given is a total cholesterol level. In a lipid profile they break down all the elements of cholesterol showing the good and bad cholesterol and triglycerides. If the bad cholesterol and triglycerides are high then that is more of a problem. If the good cholesterol is high then that's less of a problem. The blood should also be taken after you have fasted to give a true picture. So your reading may not be as bad as it seems. It's hard to know without seeing the full profile.
That's very true, it's all about the HDL because that is the good cholesterol that clears out your crudded arteries, so it can only be a good thing. The doctor I saw at the hospital explained it all to me and said he'd never seen such high "good" cholesterol readings against the LDL, so why would I want to lower it?! I don't!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I had a fasting test done...
In previous tests my good cholesterol levelled out the bad but not this time ...if that makes sense,lol
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I have fasting bloods done for my sugar levels....... mmm could be better
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Another test and still bloody high ,,,
Does any one take a plant sterol supplement ????
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Another test and still bloody high ,,,
Does any one take a plant sterol supplement ????
I take one daily, along with fish oils, coQ10 and b vits

i.e. this (very good value for money considering the contents)

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/synergex...-c3193448.aspx

Also, easily eat my 5-A-Day, exercise regularly to keep it under control.

PS remember there is good cholestorol and bad cholestorol (HDL and LDL). Its the LDL that's the dodgy one.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
I take one daily, along with fish oils, coQ10 and b vits

i.e. this (very good value for money considering the contents)

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/synergex...-c3193448.aspx

Also, easily eat my 5-A-Day, exercise regularly to keep it under control.

PS remember there is good cholestorol and bad cholestorol (HDL and LDL). Its the LDL that's the dodgy one.
Thats the one i have been looking at ...

Yeah i have both results and the ratio readings ...
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Foods known to have a positive effect on cholestorol

Oat based foods (but watch out for flapjacks loaded with butter)

Garlic

Oily Fish

Nuts (I snack on nuts rather than crisps or carb based snacks)

Olive Oil

The Olive Oil and Nuts are high in fat, but its the right kinds.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Mine was high but a change in diet with lots of oats etc statins means it is now high good & low bad & within normal range.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >