Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 11:03 PM

Silverfish are driving me mental

Can anyone advise any methods of getting rid of these insects?

We never had issues with it until our bathroom was redone and we got underfloor heating put under the stone - and now it's become their safe haven, this is all well and good for them but not so for us as it's also where we store our laundry so don't appreciate them eating their way through our clothes. And because the tiles are travertine there's all these nooks and crannies that they hide in so eradicating them is going to be a nightmare

I know they suggest all kinds of sprays etc but is there anything local to UK that anyone could recommend for a quick and relatively easy way of getting rid of them?

Thanks
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Unfortunately,silverfish love places which are permanetly damp-which will be a problem correcting in a bathroom.You could try applying several more coats of sealer to the travertine to fill in the pits and hollows-which would obviously take way the effect of the stone i know (i work at a tile wholesaler,so know what travertine is).Also,try mopping the bathroom everytime its used to cut down on water and think about installing a fan to decrease humidity or leave a window permanetly open on a trickle vent.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Ugh I used to get these all the time in my old house. I can't remember what I used - just some off-the-shelf insect erradicator did the job.

Nasty little devils, I know. Good luck.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Steve
Unfortunately,silverfish love places which are permanetly damp-which will be a problem correcting in a bathroom.You could try applying several more coats of sealer to the travertine to fill in the pits and hollows-which would obviously take way the effect of the stone i know (i work at a tile wholesaler,so know what travertine is).Also,try mopping the bathroom everytime its used to cut down on water and think about installing a fan to decrease humidity or leave a window permanetly open on a trickle vent.

Hi Steve, thanks for this We actually have a fan in the bathroom but I don't know if it's any good. I think they like the underfloor heating as well which is a real pain in the a*s. I think I will take your advice on putting more sealer on the travertine just to stop the blighters making homes in there. Might try to vacuum them out first just in case I seal them in the travertine.

LS I will take a look at some sprays as well. It's not very nice to see them running all over the floor at night - I suspect Fern will either consider them nice little snacks or toys

Thanks guys
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Feeling a bit thick but what are silver fish?
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 08:45 AM
silver fish look how they sound . silver insects in the shape of little fish .. i hate bugs ..
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Yuk, my dad gets them in his bathroom, they move to quick to spary anything on.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Woofer
Yuk, my dad gets them in his bathroom, they move to quick to spary anything on.
Yeah, horrible slithery things. We put powder down but sadly it doesn't discriminate about what it kills.
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 09:52 AM
eew i hate them too maple,, we get them between the floor boards in the bathroom,, my virbac flea spray i use in my house gets rid of all known bugs sorry but i dont like creepy crawlies eeeewwww hope ya find a solution hun x x x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Did you manage to get rid of the little horrors?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >