Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Washing Machines And Dog Beds

As I have 6 long haired English Setters and therefore at least 6 large fleeces to wash every few days - I get through washing machines like they are going out of fashion. I never expect them to last more than two years but when the one I bought a couple on months ago stopped washing normal stuff because it was continually blocked up by dog hairs, I really had to think hard.

Horse people usually have some interesting stuff which can be used with dogs - so I had a look to see how they wash horse blankets.

And look what I found -

www.washingnet.org.uk (washingnet.org.uk)

Its a very fine mesh bag which comes in two sizes - I bought the larger one. You stuff the dog bed in the bag, zip it up and wash the whole lot in the washing machine. The mesh bag collects all the dog hairs and rubbish and can be emptied out into the bin. I have used it now around 10 times - and it appears to be working.

I ordered it online and it arrived within 48 hours.

Full marks to this company.

Thalices Mum
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Yep, been recommending these for ages, but even better I have waterproof beds that only need hosing down so never need to go into washing machine!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Glad to know you have found something, I dont wash my dog bedding as often as that, but they only use it overnight.

But do wonder what effect the hairs on the blankets we are going to get through to keep carpets clean when they are soaked/dirty over winter will have on my machine!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Good idea for those that use fabric beds.

The joy of waterproof dog beds means no dog hair in the washing machine at all!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Ooh, good idea... might invest in one of these for the fleece blankets... the washing machine is minging after washing those!

We take the large rubber-backed vet bed to the local laundrette, which have a super-size machine specially for horse blankets etc. They are happy to stick the vet bed in for me too!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I use one for my horses' boots/bandages/saddlecloths, good buy!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Oh what a fantastic idea, thanks for that from me In future my husband won't have to complain about all those dog hairs on his navy blue work t-shirts both inside and out, his pants, socks and navy blue trousers! Faaaantastic! He won't be walking around scratching himself now either! Mine are just duvet covers I wash, which are thrown clean on the dog beds each day, so may poor machine has to go through it every day too.

Can I ask which one you got, so many of them, different sized holes, just wondering which one will actually stop those hairs getting through.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Great review thank you. Will be getting one of these. I just washed my dogs bed didnt realise she'd chewed the corner and it spilled its guts all over the washing machine.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Can someone point me in the direction of waterproof dog beds? Thank you
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:24 PM
http://www.tuffies.co.uk/

The best out there IMHO.

http://www.kudospetproducts.co.uk/

I have also had these but the Tuffies have proved the most durable with my dogs, worth every penny on a cost per use basis, no damage to washing machine, no blocked up filters or pipes, no smell and not parasite friendly!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >