Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Once it is trained though, you never get it again! My dogs are 6 and 11 and they have both known from being puppies that noise = 0

I have a GSD who has a very deep and penetrating bark plus tiled floors, so consideration for neighbours is paramount.

My dogs only bark when they are told or when there is a knock at the door.
Good point. Tai never used to be a barker, it was a recent thing after we got Ben. However, we can stop it now. Ben used to bark ballistically at you when you were giving him his food. So he didn't get it. He barked furiously for a few seconds, but there was no way the dish was going to go down on the floor until he shut up, was sitting down and was calm. Now, he is as silent as a silent thing when you feed him. Taking the ball away is a brilliant way of teaching them that no further action is going to happen until they stop barking, jumping up, or whatever it is they are doing that you don't like.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Anyway, regarding the actual television programme, I wonder if it is being created again? And, if so, I wonder if their training techniques will have changed at all? Who knows!

If it isn't DB, then I hope it's something that shows responsible, positive reinforcement style training, rather than shouting and bawling etc!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2011, 08:53 PM
*Posts discussing the use of ecollars have been removed*

More info in the link below

Partial ban on electric shock collars
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post

As much as I don't like many of the techniques they used on the show, I do like the way Mic Martin made it clear that the problems the dogs had were because of the owners and also often because the people had the wrong dogs for them/their circumstances.

At first, I did think he went a bit OTT with the press-ups, running etc with the onwers and would've rather they spent the time actually attempting to train the dogs.
I used to like the way Mick made the owners do press ups etc to re-inforce the need for hard work..I don't agree with a lot of their training techniques but in the opening one training guy says he's never met an owner he can't train, most of the owners on that programme are not really IMO doggy people and have no clue about the breed of dog they have!! Think they deliberatley choose these types of owners to make 'good TV'!!!
I was shocked in the one on today about the woman feeding her cocker spaniel on candy floss it was double it's body weight and she brought some to camp for a treat Mick told her in no uncertain terms that if it continued her dog would die he possibly could've been more tactful but better said than for the poor pooch to continue putting weight on.

Maybe the owner could've done with a cup of water in her face !!!!
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:54 PM
I dont know if it was a repeat...(usually is on sky)... but it was definately dog borstal.... I made a mental note not to turn it on if i ever see it on again.
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I used to like the way Mick made the owners do press ups etc to re-inforce the need for hard work..I don't agree with a lot of their training techniques but in the opening one training guy says he's never met an owner he can't train, most of the owners on that programme are not really IMO doggy people and have no clue about the breed of dog they have!! Think they deliberatley choose these types of owners to make 'good TV'!!!
I was shocked in the one on today about the woman feeding her cocker spaniel on candy floss it was double it's body weight and she brought some to camp for a treat Mick told her in no uncertain terms that if it continued her dog would die he possibly could've been more tactful but better said than for the poor pooch to continue putting weight on.

Can you believe she actually buys the dog a bucket of candy floss for treats??
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by mcv View Post
I dont know if it was a repeat...(usually is on sky)... but it was definately dog borstal.... I made a mental note not to turn it on if i ever see it on again.
It has been on BBC3 as well, that's where I first saw it a few years ago. Has evidently been sold to other channels as well now though, probably has been for a while.

If you look at my post with the link, you'll see their doing another series of what I suspect is DB. If it's not, it sounds like something very like it. Have a look and see what you think.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post

Yes, I suppose they deserve to be punished and made to do thse exercises!

Re. the candy floss - that's just insane. Dogs don't stand much of a chance.

Sometimes they need to just be told though, instead of namby pambied - it's the only way to make some of them realise!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yup, good one if your dogs are into treats! Tai is, but not enough to come away from the exciting task of barking at dogs going by in the field.
No they came away because they have been trained a good recal, they are not comming away to get a treat - they didnt know they are getting anything - and very few dogs would find a tiny bit of kibble enough to want to come away from a frantic barking fit at the intruders outside the fence

You have to have trained the alternative behaviour really well so it is an automatic response before you ask them to do it at a really stimulating time

then if something nice happens when they do the new behaviour they begin to associate doing the behavior when they would normaly have barked as something nice, automatic and reinforcing

Its something alot of people mistake, training with rewards isnt a case of bribing a dog to do something, the reward is nice and so makes the dog more likely do do the thing again, and actually begins to enjoy doing the behaviour as much as getting the treat
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yeah, my dogs were barking at dogs outside the gate
I called them in and gave them a treat
Now when they see something they want to bark at they come in to get a treat - I dont have to move, or body block or do any work
That's how I stopped Cherry and Parker barking at next door's moggies too. I called them in and gave them a treat but they had to stay inside for a while and they wanted to be outside (otherwise they may have just started to bark outside for me to call them in and reward them!). They know now NOT to bark outside as I don't think it's fair for my neighbours either (thought their moggies do pull faces at my dogs-my neighbour told me!)

There are times we go out on the heath with balls when they can have a good wuff!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >