View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
My SIL's terrier is pretty hyper and from the second the lead came out would yap hysterically until a few minutes into the walk. I suggested many times to her to just sit down and only proceed when the dog is calm.

She swore to me she had tried this for HOURS each day and the dog would not be quiet and would not have it when I suggested her dog had more persistence than she had patience.

One evening I said I needed to see this for myself. So she got out the lead and said dog started with the hysteria. The dog was out and quietly walking along the road within FIFTEEN MINUTES. Doesn't take much does it?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by mcv View Post
no it was a bloke with really short grey hair. the woman was working with a english bull terrior im sure she was using a shock collar
It was Mick and in his defence it worked a treat on the dog

The english bull terrier was deaf so she used a vibrating collar to get the dogs attention when it was off lead and not looking at the owner, a very sensible thing to put on the dog IMO, or else how is a deaf dog who isn't looking at you going to know you are calling it
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Ive never watched the programe before, and to be honest i just sat there in the chair, jaw dropped....
I couldnt believe a woman who obviously loved her dog actually did what she was told to do.
It all looked very aggressive, the way she stomped up to him practically screamed 'shut up' and then with force behind it chucked this mug of water in the poor dogs face.
He did shut up alrite but lying there he just looked bewildered and worried. Ifelt so sorry for the dog and i wont be tuning into that programme again
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
........but is it not being made anymore?

What's this show then? It's at least on the same channel as Dog Borstal was before and certainly sounds like it could be DB.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/s..._dog_behaviour

As much as I don't like many of the techniques they used on the show, I do like the way Mic Martin made it clear that the problems the dogs had were because of the owners and also often because the people had the wrong dogs for them/their circumstances.

At first, I did think he went a bit OTT with the press-ups, running etc with the onwers and would've rather they spent the time actually attempting to train the dogs.
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
It was Mick and in his defence it worked a treat on the dog

The english bull terrier was deaf so she used a vibrating collar to get the dogs attention when it was off lead and not looking at the owner, a very sensible thing to put on the dog IMO, or else how is a deaf dog who isn't looking at you going to know you are calling it
Personally i wouldnt treat my dog like that, there has got to be better ways to stop the dog barking.

i didnt realise the dog was deaf or it was a vibrating collar because i had walked out the room and only saw that bit when i was turning the tv off.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
yeah i know he arrived with it, i took him off a horrid couple when i was 12. have to say he had a normal collar and lead not long after, and i gave him the best years of his life hes an old man now so doesnt get his walks like he used to, just glad i made him a happy dog
Tai came with one, it went straight in the bin!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Recently, Tai started barking and leaping up down in impatience and anticipation of his forthcoming walk. He has a very strident, deafening bark, and it had to stop. All I did was make him sit, and then stand over him in a very domineering way, pressing my body up against his and telling him firmly "No!" If he carried on barking, I would keep pushing him into him, and if he tried to escape to the sides, I would head him off. It worked a treat, and very quickly. He will still do it when he gets really excited, but will stop instantly when the above tactics are employed!

I just sit on the sofa if that happens, the dogs soon learn that out of control behaviour = boredom, and quiet focus = going out.

Dogs learn by cause and effect, and beside I am FAR too lazy to do all that work!

Plus with one of my dogs, this approach would not be very wise...............
I just feel sorry for our neighbours!! Tai's bark is amazingly strident, and deafening. Certainly ignoring bad behaviour, and taking the ball away as it were, is a good way to teach good manners. Nothing happens until there is calm, but as I say, I feel sorry for our neighbours so ignoring isn't really an option!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Faced with the same situation I simply took my coat off put the leash down and sat down to read a book for a couple of minutes before trying again. Took 3 repetitions before Rupert got the message. So far no reminders have been needed and this was done at least 6 years ago.
Nice one!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Once it is trained though, you never get it again! My dogs are 6 and 11 and they have both known from being puppies that noise = 0

I have a GSD who has a very deep and penetrating bark plus tiled floors, so consideration for neighbours is paramount.

My dogs only bark when they are told or when there is a knock at the door.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yeah, my dogs were barking at dogs outside the gate
I called them in and gave them a treat
Now when they see something they want to bark at they come in to get a treat - I dont have to move, or body block or do any work
Yup, good one if your dogs are into treats! Tai is, but not enough to come away from the exciting task of barking at dogs going by in the field.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >