View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hayley_n_Max
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I can not stand people that walk their Dogs off lead on roads I dont do it and dont see why they do.

There is a woman that leaves near us who never puts her Rottweiler on a lead no matter where she goes around the estate although the dog is friendly ti should never be allowed to walk near roads off lead.

The same dog was off lead yesterday and a car came around the corner the dog ran into the road and was hit by the car. I didnt see the accident but heard the thud from it and the car continued on after the dog was taken out of the road.

Luckily enough the dog seemed to be fine prob just a bit shaken up by it the owner & her children was all frantic and screaming.

Hopefully she will of learnt her lesson now and will start walking the dog on a lead near roads.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Hopefully the police were informed as if you hit a dog with your car you must report it.........
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
Its just the owners showing off

'look at me , my dogs sooooooo clever and ive trained it so well it doesnt need a lead '

Total idiots
Every word of your post is describing my OH

We live on a country lane, 60mph, 200 metre walk to the river. VERY OCASSIONALLY he would walk Stone for me and just by chance one day I looked out the window and saw Stone trotting next to him off lead. I was HORRIFIED - challenged him when he got back - he said 'I never use his lead - he wouldn't dare leave my side'. This is a dog that chases rabbits and cats if he gets the opportunity.

It is actually quite embarrassing to admit that - you have described him to a T - he can be such a d**k .

P.S. loads of others walk off lead down my road daily.
AND OH never gets asked to walk Stone anymore, EVER.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:08 PM
he wouldn't dare leave my side'

Words that should be etched on several gravestones I know................
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I hate this.

Everyday on my way to take my son to nursery i pass a woman walking a GR offlead along a country road (40mph but cars often go over 60)
Well, last week the dog was sniffing the grass verge as it normally is, i moved out slightly and slowed down as i always do-my heart is always in my mouth when i pass her.
This time, something spooked the dog and it sort of bunny hopped/lunged forwards towards my car. He must have been within inches of my wheels and if i had been driving in the 'normal' road position i would have hit him. Well, i stopped the car and im afraid this woman got an absolute mouthful from me about how irresponsible she was to her dog and road users and how if i had swerved i probably would have crashed and have a child in the car etc.
She apologised but didnt even have a lead with her....Im glad to say on the last few times i have passed her the dog has been on a lead...a flexi (dont even start me on those!!!)
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Those of us with competition dogs, police dogs, guide dogs, assistance dogs etc do not do this and I would wager they are better trained than theirs, we just put a higher price on our dogs than our ego!
Yes I agree its a pet hate of mine anything could happen and scare the dog into the road
Hayley_n_Max
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hopefully the police were informed as if you hit a dog with your car you must report it.........
I didnt call the police as didnt couldnt get the registration number of the car as they drove off too quickly and the adult that was there (the dog owner) didnt bother doing anything either. Hopefully the driver reported it to the police but I doubt it.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm not going to be popular on this thread, but tbh I've been there, done that and got the T-Shirt on this forum on this topic!

My dogs have been and sometimes still are walked off lead near roads. My last two were never on their leads (Woody and Pickles for those that remember them), but I lived in the country then. These days, living in the town I play it by ear. The few times we do walk by a road I make the decision to put them on a lead depending on their mood, my mood and the time of day etc. It can be good training exercise as long as it's executed with common sense as I always assume that the lead/collar will fail one day. And God forbid that happens and I can't control my dog or it has no experience of being loose by the roadside.

Each to their own I suppose. Like I said, I've been labelled many things from this topic several times previously and for that reason I'm really past caring what people think tbh.

I do what I feel is appropriate for my dogs and my circumstances, make of that what you will.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I do what I feel is appropriate for my dogs and my circumstances, make of that what you will.
What about what is appropriate for the rest of the population who live near you? The drivers and cyclists? While you are 'training' your dogs, a very real accident could occur which could have severe consequences for someone else!

I know that I would be absolutely devastated if I happened to knock down a dog that had run into the road - for whatever reason - and the fact that it was completely avoidable would compound that feeling of devastation.

I think you and other dog owners who don't keep their dogs on a lead are being very selfish.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'm not going to be popular on this thread, but tbh I've been there, done that and got the T-Shirt on this forum on this topic!

My dogs have been and sometimes still are walked off lead near roads. My last two were never on their leads (Woody and Pickles for those that remember them), but I lived in the country then. These days, living in the town I play it by ear. The few times we do walk by a road I make the decision to put them on a lead depending on their mood, my mood and the time of day etc. It can be good training exercise as long as it's executed with common sense as I always assume that the lead/collar will fail one day. And God forbid that happens and I can't control my dog or it has no experience of being loose by the roadside.

Each to their own I suppose. Like I said, I've been labelled many things from this topic several times previously and for that reason I'm really past caring what people think tbh.

I can think of a few labels for you, but as you don't care, I'll keep them to myself

I know this is a 'what if', BUT if you were walking down the road and your dog ran out, causing a car to swerve, into something/oncoming traffic/other pedestrians, and people DIED - would you be able to live with yourself? I know I couldn't.

I know we can't wrap up in cotton wool (hell -a car could mount the kerb and kill you while you're walking with your dog ON LEAD) but imagine if people DIED and it could have been avoided if you had just had a bit of sense.

It makes me think that your 'training' you dogs is more important that peoples lives

PS I know you shouldn't swerve your car really, but that would be the reaction of many.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >