View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I LOVE The fact that you have named a dog PANTS!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:41 AM
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I hate seeing people with dogs off lead near roads, if there so well trained surely it won't be that difficult for the owners to hold the end of a lead, its so easy in that situation for that 1 occasion when they fail to do as expected to end up dead or causing an accident. Also hate those who use flexi-leads who may as well have the dog off-lead the amount of control they have.

There's a guy with a GSD that lives nearby who never puts it on lead on the estate and did see him once cycle on path with it along the main road offlead. It is friendly but would be scary for those that don't know that and he's not so well trained that he sticks close to his owner either so it worries me when i see him as he'll cross the street to see my dog. Our estate is fairly quiet but one night when OH was walking the dogs he came across to see them and then the owner called the dog from up the street where he couldn't possibly see if the road was clear and consequently the dog was hit, he was ok & ran home but shook up the family in the car, you'd of thought this incident would change the owner's view but it hasn't .
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I actually saw one going along the road off the bottom of our street yesterday offlead... it's a pretty busy road, a nice little rat run to avoid the town centre, coupled with drives crossing the path, people having to park up on pavements and general motoring lunacy as the parking's diabolical - not to mention the side streets that you constantly have to cross going down... and factor in cats, the occasional hedgehog and squirrel as well for a spot of fun. Heck I've had a few near misses as a pedestrian myself - and there's no way I'd even have a cat that's allowed to roam outdoors living a few doors down from this road - let along an off-lead dog.

Idiot.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 02:43 PM
It's one of my bugbears and I absolutely hate to see dogs off lead alongside roads. I dont care how well trained people think their pooches are, there is always the possibility their dog could cross the road to chase a cat or it might see somebody it thinks it knows etc. People dont even seem to care that the road is busy and has juggernauts and all kinds of heavy traffic going along it.

I had a rude awakening myself the other night. The neighbouring estate has a park which winds through it with only a quiet side road to cross. I only had Jessie off lead and crossed this road with her still off lead. I got to the other side and realised she wasnt with me, exactly the same time as a car came round the corner. She'd actually stopped to sniff and I didnt notice so I ran into the road to stop the car, just as Jessie appeared over the other side. I was starkly reminded never to become too complacent.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
My Kiz is trained well enough not be on a lead but I wouldn't dream of not having her on it near a road.

There's a guy around here who walks two very big mastiff's both off lead and to be fair they walk really steady and to heel but what would happen if a car back fired or they saw a cat I wonder?? They do look quite menacing people cross the road to avoid them.

I hate people walking their dogs next to a road on a flexi lead which is fully out! WHY???? They obviously need to be on a lead but it won't stop them running into the road or tripping someone up
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 05:14 PM
It is dangerous for all parties involved and VERY distracting to drivers. I can't help but keep my eye on the dog if I'm driving and I see one at close proximity to the road.

I don't excuse this behaviour in any way, but as a driver, I might have a tiny bit more faith in the dog if I could see one walking to close heel. If, like 9 times out of 10 the dogs is under zero control and walking miles ahead or miles behind, it makes me nervous.

I was walking my big two along my road a couple of weeks ago when on the other side of the pavement, a youngish girl (maybe late teens) was on the other side with two young Labradors off lead. My road is busy and cars are double parked down the length of it, so as a driver you have poor visibility when people try and cross between the parked cars. Anyway, rather predictably, the young yellow bitch who was no more than a year old darted over the road to greet my two. I asked whether she had 'lost' her leads for the dogs, when she replied that she wasn't carrying any. She dragged the dogs away by the collar and let them go again...when I looked behind the yellow one was weaving in and out between the parked cars on the road and the pavement.

There is also an old woman with a Jack Russell who has, for the past few years, walked the dog along the local streets off lead despite the fact EVERY time it will dart across the road and attempt to nip my dogs. How this dog has not yet ended up under the wheels of a car is a miracle. I've had a go at her on more than one occasion and her excuse is aways "I didn't think I would see anyone at this time of the day". What, you don't expect to see any cars on the road, any other dogs or people in a busy area? doi.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Its one of my real pet hates. I cannot for the life of me understand it. How hard is it to hold the end of a lead.
I have actually asked a couple of people why and they said thier dogs are well enough trained not to set foot in the road and it allows them the freedom to stop and sniff and have a run to catch up.
Only problem is one of the people I asked lost her dog a couple of weeks ago when at 11pm one night it ran across the road in front of a car after a cat. She lives in the garden behind me and had a beautiful springer spanial called molly. RIP Molly.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
There are lots of people around here that walk dogs off lead through town, next to the roadside. I saw a lovely ESP run into the road recently, owner with a toddler on a bike, oncoming car slamming brakes on to avoid driving into the dog Some shouting of expletives followed n the owner went strutting off with dog and child. Will the child grow up with the same attitude? Probably
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Can see what you mean re how dangerous it is for car drivers. I remember driving along the main Norwich to Cromer road once and a huge dog was running across the road from one side to the other and back again. I thought to myself that I would just have to hit it if it was in front of the car as I couldn't brake as I was in a stream of traffic doing 60mph. Fortunately I didn't hit it but it could very easily have caused an accident as the automatic thing to do is brake if something is in front of you.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »