Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
As many other people have understood the question I get the feeling that you are being difficult on purpose but for one last time I will explain
You say you know all dogs will have its faults and you strive to breed the best you can, which is of course what everyone should do - but the question is which fault has more weight than others in the individuals mind - as most people have been able to answer this question I really dont care now if you dont understand so I will not be trying to explain again

I have understood and answered your question, you asked what is more important, my answer is all three.

I would not choose to breed from a dog that only fits one criteria, a breeder shoud strive to breed for the best they can.

Firstly I would make sure both dogs passed their health tests, I would look to access temperament, and never breed from a dog with temperament issues, along with a dog fitting the breed standard, if said dogs only ticked one or two of the requirements, then it would not be bred from.

As for not trawling back
Can i respectfully then ask the mods if that post can be removed as I can only see it as a personal attack on me made in order to discredit any oppinion i express on this thread by making people think that I think other breeds are not worthyThat has never been my stance and to my knowladge I have never posted anything that says that, therefore that post may colour new pwoples oppinion of me unfairly and I am not happy to let it stand
I have never implied that at all, what I said was you frequently post, you would never buy from a breeder (other than BC ) because they are not in your opinion ethical
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i dont know what a 'family temperament' is but it has to be the correct one for that breed imo.
Nor do I

If you were referring to my post , what I said was......

There really shouldn't be any "IF" about it, responsible breeding should include all 3, breeding for dogs that look as they should be, with temperaments to fit into family life along with heath.
What ever breed you buy the temperament should fit the breed, and the breed should fit into your life, be it working or family.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have never implied that at all, what I said was you frequently post, you would never buy from a breeder (other than BC ) because they are not in your opinion ethical
Your words were that I didnt think other breeds were worthy of breeding from - that is quite different from what you are saying now - which is also incorrect

No I have never said 'other than bc' I have said I doubt I would be able to find a breeder who would meet my critira for a good breeder - therefore I will rescue

I have never said border collie breeders are wonderfully ethical and other breeders not so

Not only do I not frequently post it - I have never posted that

Very sorry to everyone else to be taking this so off topic
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Your words were that I didnt think other breeds were worthy of breeding from - that is quite different from what you are saying now - which is also incorrect

No I have never said 'other than bc' I have said I doubt I would be able to find a breeder who would meet my critira for a good breeder - therefore I will rescue

I have never said border collie breeders are wonderfully ethical and other breeders not so

Not only do I not frequently post it - I have never posted that

Very sorry to everyone else to be taking this so off topic
If you cant find a good enough breeder, why take on a dog who you know nothing at all about? Is that an acceptable gamble to you? However, a breeder who say doesnt eye test but does all other tests is too much of a gamble?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If you cant find a good enough breeder, why take on a dog who you know nothing at all about? Is that an acceptable gamble to you? However, a breeder who say doesnt eye test but does all other tests is too much of a gamble?
I have said this many times
imo at the moment in time with so many more dogs being prduced than there are homes for them I would find it very difficult to find someone that I agreed were producing puppies for the correct reasons
I am not talking only about health tests or anything just MY beliefs of what makes a good breeder
By buying a pup from a breeder I feel I would be supporting them and enabiling them to breed more puppies (I know people belive that rescuing enables people to breed more but I disagree with that stance)
Yes of course there is a gamble with health or whatever with my dogs - BUT they have already been born, their breeding is not their fault and so they have the right to a chance in a loving home

I fail to see who people have such issues with me stating that I would have trouble finding a breeder who ticks all my boxes so I choose to rescue

That does not make me not alowed to have views on breeding or anything else

It is not me saying DOGS or BREEDS are not 'worth' being bred for, just that I misstrust peoples motives for breeding them
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 07:52 PM
imo at the moment in time with so many more dogs being prduced than there are homes for them I would find it very difficult to find someone that I agreed were producing puppies for the correct reasons
The problem with this is - there are lots of homes waiting for decent bred pups from ethical breeder, just not enough homes waiting for puppies bred in an unethical manner hence them being dumped to rescue..(from only my own experience mind)!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
The problem with this is - there are lots of homes waiting for decent bred pups from ethical breeder, just not enough homes waiting for puppies bred in an unethical manner hence them being dumped to rescue..(from only my own experience mind)!
well more the reason that I should try and help those who cannot get homes
I cannont seperate them into 2 different species, imo every dog should have the chance at a loving home and breeding more dogs means there are less homes and more dogs
I know many do not agree with that but thats how I feel
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Is that it, no health or temperament consideration
Please take time to read the rest of my posts, rather than highlighting the bit you would like to disagree with.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
If it comes down to a choice - would be health every time for me.
Me too - how can looks even come close in comparison to health. Health should be everything, closely followed by temperament.

What use the most beautiful x, y, z, if it is riddled with health problems.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 09:46 PM
But you are more likely to get the "all" from a dog within a small gene pool, as with being so small they will be breeding to type.

There really shouldn't be any "IF" about it, responsible breeding should include all 3, breeding for dogs that look as they should be, with temperaments to fit into family life along with heath.

If I was looking for a dog, be it from a large or small gene pool, I would expect it to have all three.

I would nto buy a dog that was healthy, but was a poor example of its breed, I would not buy a dog that was typical of the breed but lacked temperament or health,

If I had to make that choice, then I would look elsewhere.
No, no, no - small gene pool can NEVER be good, surely?
Page 6 of 26 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »