Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

In my experience with this - temperament is the last thing breeders will look at, due to keeping the dog to type. Which is not how it should be IMO.

We obviously have different experiences

It should - but with Small gene pools it can be difficult if not impossible to find a dog that fits all three, and when you do - that dog will often be overused.

It may well be, but thats not exclusive ot a small gene pool, but you can still have your cake and eat it, a healthy numerically small breed, with consistency in looks along with temperament.

Good for you.

thanks, but then I cant see why anyone would ignore one thing in favour of another.

Again - good for you. Other may want a specific breed or type of dog and have little choice as to where they get it from.

Every one has a choice, if you choose to ignore factors, that up to you,but you do have a choice.

I am waiting on a litter - but I will only get one if it is the right sex and the right colour. I will wait for the dog who ticks every box for me - and I am lucky enough to have the choice to do that within my breed.

Is that it, no health or temperament consideration
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I have to say I'm shocked that anyone would think two carriers would be bred together! Why would anyone health test and ignore the results to then produce affected puppies? It just wouldn't happen IMO and I've never come across it.

For me temperament, health and conformation are of equal importance.
There are breeders around who will health test but only 'publish' what they want and dogs will still be used....

There are also plenty breeders using dogs that have a consistent line of poor temprements in their breeding and doing well...but it still shows up....

(of course there are breeders doing neither as well)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Exactly, so one has to breed from what one considers the best that adheres to breed standard, and that includes health.
Yes, but the question that is being constantly avoided is really what is more important
You pick the one that conforms most to the breed standard - but how do you decide WHICH consideration is more important than another

As has been discussed on other threads - if the choice was between a carrior of a genetic illness (beng bred to a clear)
a dog with slightly less prefered markings
or a temprament that wasnt perfect but you were able to train for

WHCH has most weight in the consideration?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
OK so I will put things a different way
Instead of looking at major faults
As everyone says no dog is perfect - you are striving to better your breed all the time supossedly
So as no dog is perfect
If the choices were between a dog who had a minor fault in looks (that did not prevent him showing)
one dog had a stlight temprament issue (that you had been able to train for so they were perfectly able to be shown and did well)
and one had a minor health issue - something genetic that could be passed on but wasnt life limiting

Which dog would you pick to breed from? - cos lets face it no dog is 100% perfect
This is where you show your lack of understading towards breeding, you dont just look at a couple of studs and say well that has poor tempermant, that dogs a carrier of this, that dogs got a fault and so on. You look at the overall dog, the pedigree, what the mating should produce - do the dogs match on paper and in looks (ie - does he work against her weak points and vis versa).

I personally would not use a dog that had a health issue that could be passed on causing puppies to have a chance of being affected no matter how slim that chance was - however, I have no problem with breeders adding the odd carrier to their breeding programme if the dog is near to perfect in most other ways - and was only mated to a dog with a clear status.
I would not use a dog that had tempermant issues either, and I would not use a dog with majour faults - although dogs with minour faults (which will be different for each breed) I would consider.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Imo health should be a compulsory consideration - without compromise, and I think anyone who breeds knowing about health defects or hasn't done enough to ensure the mating will likely result in good health should be held accountable or prosecuted.

The importance of temperament and/or looks is dependent on who the prospective owner is and what they want from their dog - show people might be a little more interested in looks, working folk might be more interested in temperament. That's their choice and I respect their right to have one. But they don't get a choice when it comes to health - because that wouldn't be fair on the dogs.

For me personally, health and temperament is important - I'm not too bothered by looks so long as they reasonably look like their breed.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Btw guys - please keep the thread amicable, don't get personal.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
This is where you show your lack of understading towards breeding, you dont just look at a couple of studs and say well that has poor tempermant, that dogs a carrier of this, that dogs got a fault and so on. You look at the overall dog, the pedigree, what the mating should produce - do the dogs match on paper and in looks (ie - does he work against her weak points and vis versa).

I personally would not use a dog that had a health issue that could be passed on causing puppies to have a chance of being affected no matter how slim that chance was - however, I have no problem with breeders adding the odd carrier to their breeding programme if the dog is near to perfect in most other ways - and was only mated to a dog with a clear status.
I wouldnt use a dog that had tempermant issues either, and I would not use a dog with majour faults - although dogs with minour faults (which will be different for each breed) I would consider.
Thankyou - a straight answer I total appreciate it and I agree with your priorities there

- btw I do understand a little about breeding actually - but we are being hypothetical here, you answered and I apreciate that
for you a dog would be ruled out for health or temprament problems but not for a minor fault - I am very glad to hear that - and thats all I was asking
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Yes, but the question that is being constantly avoided is really what is more important good stuff
You pick the one that conforms most to the breed standard - but how do you decide WHICH consideration is more important than another
just 'thinking out loud here but it would also be interesting if people consider that the breed standard is very open to interpretation whilst answering this

As has been discussed on other threads - if the choice was between a carrior of a genetic illness (beng bred to a clear)
a dog with slightly less prefered markings
or a temprament that wasnt perfect but you were able to train for

hmm, never say never n all that but actually if there is a very small gene pool, limited to which dogs can be considered etc I think sometimes breeding a carrier to a clear would be best, if all clears were bred to clears etc it could shrink the gene pool more than needed/whats healthy in some breeds?

So, if the two dogs are of great conformation, or suit each other in that way - off-set and compliment each other etc, the dogs are in good general health and good health results, both have excellent temprements, one is a clear and one is a carrier, then there will be no affected puppies (in VWD's anyway) so I dont really see a problem with that. Of course in an ideal world only clears would be bred to clears (and I suppose that is becoming easier all the time now) but in reality.....no affected puppies are being produced, sire and dam are healthy of good conformation and have good test results etc and good temprements.

Of course this is all to strive for something, breeding has no guarantees with any or all I suppose.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2011, 04:18 PM
[QUOTEBen Mcfuzzylugs;2189288]That is just pathetic, spitfull and totaly incorrect
I have said border collies are the breed that I am interested in so that is the breed I have researched so it is the breed I am most qualified to comment on - I never said they are the only breed - just the one for me

I find that post totaly out of line and am reporting it[/QUOTE]

It is not out of line at all, it is the impression you have given on many a thread, regards breeding and breeders, otherwise I would not have said it.

If you want to report it , go ahead, cant see why though, its an observation on what I read in your posts, yes it might be edged in sarcasm, but as far as I know, thats not against the rules

Yes, but the question that is being constantly avoided is really what is more important

As has been discussed on other threads - if the choice was between a carrier of a genetic illness (being bred to a clear)
a dog with slightly less prefer ed markings
or a temperament that wasn't perfect but you were able to train for

A dog with a less than perfect temperament should not be bred from, unless ofcause you can guarantee those who buy any offspring's that inherit that temperament are ALL capable of "training it out".

As for which consideration is more important than another, then the answer is ALL, you should not breed if ALL are not 100%

Regards the carrier to clear, if data proves this is OK, then I have no problem with that.

But I would not breed purely for temperament, or health, or looks, all or nothing, its not difficult to do!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 04:35 PM
please can you direct me to a post where i have given the impression that the border collie is the only dog worth breeding from?

hmmm so as you agree that no dog is 100% yet you would only consider the full total package then no dog should be bred from?
Page 4 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »