View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't dream of breeding from anything that didn't have a good temperament, and good health, and looked as it should.

I would hope, if I were buying a puppy in, I would have researched enough to ensure that the breeder felt exactly the same

It has to be all three for me too
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Well yup - but I have also seen on Aussie breeder websites them explaining about mating merle to merle and how to pick and cull the double merles from the litter asap - same thing - they want the merles to show and see no problem with the 25% odds on unhealthy puppies
Breeding carriers and breeding merles is entirely different, although both of course wrong, no good, responsible breeder would do such a thing. People who breed merle to merle clearly have no ethics, people who health test will have decent ethics to be testing in the first place.

My point is - no one would go to the effort of testing to look for carriers and then breed them together anyway resulting in blind puppies (eg PRA Cord-1). No one in their right mind would breed affected puppies on purpose, I really can't understand the reasoning behind such a belief? If you've got the ethics to test in the first place do people seriously believe those ethics would then go out of the window when looking for a stud dog? Such a belief just doesn't make any sense to me! The truth is I think you'll believe anything if it fits your belief that all breeders are evil!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Breeding carrier to carrier, will result in only a 25% chance of clear puppies..Thats far to low, the other 25% being affected and 50% going on to be carriers. NO 'decent' breeder would risk it. I to am shocked to see the suggestion.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Breeding carrier to carrier, will result in only a 25% chance of clear puppies..Thats far to low, the other 25% being affected and 50% going on to be carriers. NO 'decent' breeder would risk it. I to am shocked to see the suggestion.
Doesnt that depend on the disease?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I spose it could be different for different things - cant say I have looked into others, most eye diseases are as above.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I spose it could be different for different things - cant say I have looked into others, most eye diseases are as above.
Yes thats true, VWd is inherited the same, not sure about all though.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 01:17 PM
I think it depends on if gene that courses the condition is recessive or not.

Both DNA tests for SBT are recessive gene.

PHPV a different eye condition to HC, mode of inheritance is not yet known. I think we are just a few blood samples short of the AHT starting their research hopefully a DNA test won't be far behind.

I believe research has started and blood samples being sought for HD in Labs
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Would you expect all breeds to have the temperament to fit into family life?
rune
Family life is simply a term, but yes, I would expect ALL breeds to fit into "your interpretation" of family life, be that working or pet.

Whats the point of getting a dog be it simply for a pet, to work , or play and its temperament is "off"

the dog has to be amenable for what ever its purpose is!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Breeding carriers and breeding merles is entirely different, although both of course wrong, no good, responsible breeder would do such a thing. People who breed merle to merle clearly have no ethics, people who health test will have decent ethics to be testing in the first place.

My point is - no one would go to the effort of testing to look for carriers and then breed them together anyway resulting in blind puppies (eg PRA Cord-1). No one in their right mind would breed affected puppies on purpose, I really can't understand the reasoning behind such a belief? If you've got the ethics to test in the first place do people seriously believe those ethics would then go out of the window when looking for a stud dog? Such a belief just doesn't make any sense to me! The truth is I think you'll believe anything if it fits your belief that all breeders are evil!
Where exactly did I say all breeders are evil??
OK I take your point that someone wouldnt care enough to health test and then put 2 carriors together
However - as I stated with merles, there ARE breeders who are putting looks way above health by breeding merle to merle

OK so I will put things a different way
Instead of looking at major faults
As everyone says no dog is perfect - you are striving to better your breed all the time supossedly
So as no dog is perfect
If the choices were between a dog who had a minor fault in looks (that did not prevent him showing)
one dog had a stlight temprament issue (that you had been able to train for so they were perfectly able to be shown and did well)
and one had a minor health issue - something genetic that could be passed on but wasnt life limiting

Which dog would you pick to breed from? - cos lets face it no dog is 100% perfect
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Which dog would you pick to breed from? - cos lets face it no dog is 100% perfect
Exactly, so one has to breed from what one considers the best that adheres to breed standard, and that includes health.
Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »