Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
No responsible breeder would put two carriers together.
I have to say I'm shocked that anyone would think two carriers would be bred together! Why would anyone health test and ignore the results to then produce affected puppies? It just wouldn't happen IMO and I've never come across it.

For me temperament, health and conformation are of equal importance.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I have to say I'm shocked that anyone would think two carriers would be bred together! Why would anyone health test and ignore the results to then produce affected puppies? It just wouldn't happen IMO and I've never come across it.

For me temperament, health and conformation are of equal importance.
Well yup - but I have also seen on Aussie breeder websites them explaining about mating merle to merle and how to pick and cull the double merles from the litter asap - same thing - they want the merles to show and see no problem with the 25% odds on unhealthy puppies
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:34 AM
I don't see that you have to make a choice
Healthy with a good temperament that conforms to breed standard can be achieved in the same dog.

You don't have to give away one to get the other.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
If it comes down to a choice - would be health every time for me.
Why settle for one, personally I `m greedy and want all three..........health/temperament/looks!!

Its not like its not out there, so why dismiss one over the other!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Why settle for one, personally I `m greedy and want all three..........health/temperament/looks!!

Its not like its not out there, so why dismiss one over the other!
Hence the first part of my sentence. IF it comes down to a choice.

For example in a breed with a small gene pool. You wish to continue the line, you may well be faced with a choice of health over looks, and I would go for the former.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Health and temperament way over looks for me----but since I only twice have had the choice out of about 20 dogs I don't suppose I'll get it again! Since one of those two is the unhealthiest dog I have ever known, (barring a couple of GSD's), it doesn't always work out anyway!

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Hence the first part of my sentence. IF it comes down to a choice.

For example in a breed with a small gene pool. You wish to continue the line, you may well be faced with a choice of health over looks, and I would go for the former.
But you are more likely to get the "all" from a dog within a small gene pool, as with being so small they will be breeding to type.

There really shouldn't be any "IF" about it, responsible breeding should include all 3, breeding for dogs that look as they should be, with temperaments to fit into family life along with heath.

If I was looking for a dog, be it from a large or small gene pool, I would expect it to have all three.

I would nto buy a dog that was healthy, but was a poor example of its breed, I would not buy a dog that was typical of the breed but lacked temperament or health,

If I had to make that choice, then I would look elsewhere.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Would you expect all breeds to have the temperament to fit into family life?

rune
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But you are more likely to get the "all" from a dog within a small gene pool, as with being so small they will be breeding to type.

In my experience with this - temperament is the last thing breeders will look at, due to keeping the dog to type. Which is not how it should be IMO.

There really shouldn't be any "IF" about it, responsible breeding should include all 3, breeding for dogs that look as they should be, with temperaments to fit into family life along with heath.

It should - but with Small gene pools it can be difficult if not impossible to find a dog that fits all three, and when you do - that dog will often be overused.

If I was looking for a dog, be it from a large or small gene pool, I would expect it to have all three.

Good for you.

I would nto buy a dog that was healthy, but was a poor example of its breed, I would not buy a dog that was typical of the breed but lacked temperament or health,

If I had to make that choice, then I would look elsewhere.
Again - good for you. Other may want a specific breed or type of dog and have little choice as to where they get it from.

I am waiting on a litter - but I will only get one if it is the right sex and the right colour. I will wait for the dog who ticks every box for me - and I am lucky enough to have the choice to do that within my breed.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:18 AM
All three for me too. They are all of importance. One does not out weigh the other, ideally it is a package.
Page 2 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »