Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Best food for dog with irritable bowel disease

I was wondering what people's opinions are of the best dog food for dogs with irritable bowel disease. My dog has just been diagnosed with this and has been on Nature Diet and James Wellbeloved foods and has always been fine on them until his symptoms started. It seems that so many foods now claim to be hypoallergenic, so it is hard to decide on which might be best. Also, what meat source is best, as we have been told to omit chicken, and stick with lamb, but would turkey be ok?

I have also read about a number of supplements including MSM and Seacure which may help, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions re natural supplements.

Thanks.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Definitely fish based is best

Wafcol salmon & potato - you won't go wrong with it

James beloved do a White fish diet, although my boy couldn't tolerate it. He was very bad when younger. Over course of ten days weaned him onto Wafcol. He never looked back.

I'd stick clear of poultry/lamb/meat. Definitely no red meat, it's too hard to digest

Wainwrights salmon/potato isn't bad either, I've maintained a dog on it. It's lower in price
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks. We did try JWB fish when he was younger and he wouldn't eat it. He did like Arden Grange salmon and rice, but he did flare up after I gave him this on one occasion, though it could have been a coincidence. Perhaps the potato version would be better than those with rice.
suew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-08-2010, 11:02 AM
We had a dog with this, and the only food that really kept it at bay was Denes, which is a tinned food you can get at good pet shops. Expensiive, as in two years ago it was something like 90p a tin, but so good. His IBS symptoms all but cleared up. We had tried him on other Gluten free food before that, including Butchers , but to be honest, the quailty of that food didnt seem to be up to much, it was very jelly like. The secret is to look for Gluten free, which I know JBW is, but Denes do one specifically for this condition.
Our dogs IBS also responded to vet presecribed Buscopan, which you can buy over the counter, but you would need to check with your vet what dosage would be right for your dog. We also had Codeine tablets presecribed for our lad, which is because it was so severe, but again, the Denes helped sort that out, so we could get him off the Codeine. Dont forget to check all treats etc you give him, we found raw carrots etc a lot better for him than commercial dog treats!! Good Luck, oh, and another tip, in case of accidents while you are out - leave a washabel yoga mat by the back door!! We did, and bless, him, he always used it, and it was much easeir to hose it down and replace it once dry than it would have been to wash floors/carpets etc!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2010, 11:14 AM
My dog had IBD he couldn't tolerate any dried foods. He was fed on Nature Diet for a long time but its a case of trying different protein sources till you find the one that suits the best.
Wainwrights also do a range of the wet food in trays which is very good.
My boy was also very intolerant to fish and chicken and would suffer quite a bleed when fed on these.
Sadly in the end he couldn't tolerate any food, but thats very rare so don't panic.
No two dogs are the same so to find which protein source is best for yours will be trial and error. Wet foods are a lot easier than dry foods for them to digest though so I wouldn't mix them.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2010, 12:07 PM
My Chessie who nearly died through IBD can only eat Chappie