View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Hello (getting another dog to join the one I already have)

Hi,

My name is Alison and I currently own a gsd x collie, she is 8 years old and called Molly. We did have a springer spaniel called Sam who sadly was put to sleep a month ago with cancer. They were best buddies and now I'm not sure whether to rehome another dog as Molly can be a bit silly when she sees other dogs out! Bit of a dilemma! But she does seem bored without his company. Does anyone else have any experience of bereaved dogs? All thoughts welcome.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 10:14 PM
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Alison, welcome to the forum. It may take Molly a bit of time to adjust to your loss, when Moet was bereaved we bought Fiji to keep him company, he suffered from separation anxiety after our loss which we had never experienced before.he wasn't terribly impressed with her at first but they did get along well in the end, but I always felt maybe he was enjoying being an only dog by the time she arrived.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 07:41 PM
When I had 2 and one died the one who was left went very quiet and withdrawn. When I got another dog she perked up. It might be completely different with yours - I`d advise only getting another dog if you want another dog. Mind you, I`ve got 4 so what do I know
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I do feel ready for another dog although I still feel pretty sad about sammi. We have seen a rescue in our local shelter who is lovely. We took molly to meet him today and well she didn't instantly love him nor hate him either. So she is going back again on Monday to see him again. I am trying not to get attached to him in case she decides that she won't accept him. He is so chilled out it wasn't true. So fingers crossed!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Welcome to Dogsey.

We had to have our old Collie PTS 3 years ago, and as we knew it was coming we overlapped by getting Skye 4 months before it happened.

Reah still grieved over Meg for quite awhile even though Skye was about. But Reah and Meg were very close.

But she came round in the end.

Hope it all works out for you.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Sorry for your loss. I just had to have my elderly shiba inu put to sleep last Tuesday. I have two other shibas, and they don't seem to be missing her at all, unlike me.

Personally, I would go for another dog. I prefer there to be two at least.

Just my opinion, of course.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

x0x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2009, 12:30 PM
hi i feel for you and your dog
i believe all dogs are happier with fellow canine company
i also believe that dogs grieve as we do.when we lost our old boy (top of the pack too)my other dogs all dealt with it in their own way,but grieve they did things took about a month to get back to semi-normal
but they will
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Alison

Sorry to hear of your loss i know how you are feeling, we had our Lab PTS in March as he had Hepititas he would have been 13 in April just gone, we have another dog Kobe who is 7 and they were best buddies, Kobe went very quiet and withdrawn when Charlie went so after a long discussion we decided to get another dog for us and for Kobe, We got Honey at Easter she is a rescue dog and is almost a year old and they get on together very well although it was a shaky start not aggresive or anything maybe a bit of jealousy by Kobe, we still think about Charlie every day.

I would definitely get another dog for you and your other dog but obviously not the same kind you had before or you may end up comparing the two.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Samantha