Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
First, some info on stress.

When you are stressed your body releases cortisol, when your body is fighting an infection your adrenals go into overdrive. Cortisol is a waster of vital electrolytes.

If you have an underlying infection that your body is fighting, stress will make it worse, hence a possible cause of triggering IBS symptoms; because your body is less able to deal with whatever it is that is the root cause.

Thanks Eileen, I am going to stick to my guns on this one

Wow, there are so many things that scream parasite infection there Helena (a number of symptoms I share as well).

But don't expect a diagnosis from conventional testing - because it is very hit n miss. For a start many parasites degrade quickly, so you need a hot sample that is looked at right away. In addition some microbes only show up with the right staining, and of course, parasites are not shedding all the time - so you need to submit about 10 samples for an 80% chance for the infection being picked up!

I have had lots of stool tests over the years at the local hospital and not a single one has come back positive! So I went ahead and got a private, PCR test from extracted DNA done from a lab in Oxford - and that came back positive for an unclassified protozoa.

This means that they detected kingdom protozoa with their universal probe, but the exact dna is not in their database. This could mean I picked up a microbe from pets, or ingested via food. Or that it is a sub-type, or one with slightly different DNA - that isn't in their database.

If the patient doesn't have GI symptoms it can be ignored, but if they do, it is recommended that further testing is done or the patient is treated with a wide-spectrum anti-protozal.

Has Dave ever tried anything like Metronidazole? How does he feel when he eats anything like a pineapple or papaya? (Both have anti-parasite properties.) With Zena getting relief from this seems to suggest a parasite (or gram negative bacteria) problem - which is why I would investigate further.

The huge problem with parasitic infections, is the effect they have on adrenals and electrolytes such as magnesium - magnesium is *very* important for heart health.

For many reasons, including the one above. IBS isn't contagious, yet so many people in my family got sick around the same time. Plus there are lots of other tell tale signs that I pick up on, that perhaps others in the family don't.

There have also been a number of studies where, people with IBS symtpoms have been found to have a parasite, and on eradication, they get significant improvment with their symptoms.

I have had a blood test for CD, and, when I have the endoscopy they are going to take a sample for a CD test too.
An endoscopy is not enough to diagnos CD, and the blood test HAS to be done after a month of eating wheat and gluton.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2014, 07:11 PM
I must say that, for something I never heard of years ago - this IBS, it seems an alarming number of people are now being diagnosed with it?

We are a very small cross section of society on here yet already quite a few regulars have posted to say that either they or someone near to them has been diagnosed with it.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Hay
Ibs is the lablen they put on a series of symptoms when they have excluded all other possibilities eg chrons or celiac x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Hay
Ibs is the lablen they put on a series of symptoms when they have excluded all other possibilities eg chrons or celiac x
Interesting, thank you.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2014, 09:15 AM
  1. How long have you had it? -
    ANSWER_HERE
    5 years
  2. What are your symptoms? -
    Major bloating, tenderness around area, nauseous, lethargic
  3. Have your symptoms become worse or better over the years? -
    About the same
  4. What do you think causes IBS, or caused or triggered your own IBS? -
    Stress &/or diet
  5. Who diagnosed you? (GP or Gastro?) -
    GP suspected, had a scan & she said it was bowel related
  6. As IBS was traditionally a diagnosis of exclusion, what else were you tested for or what else was excluded? -
    Didn't take diagnosis any further, have tried dietary exclusions
  7. Do you have any other non-IBS type symptoms? -
    No
  8. Are your symptoms nocturnal? -
    No
  9. Do you get diarrhoea or constipation (or both)? -
    Both
  10. Have you noticed any triggers? Such as certain foods/stress, etc? -
    Mainly bread, any kind of nut and stress
  11. Are you on any medications for it? Do they help? (yes/no/not sure if they do) -
    I find taking Slippery Elm helps a lot! Drink more water.
  12. Do you accept you have IBS, or do you think there is some other cause? -
    Accept.
  13. Have you read up or researched the condition other than that what was provided to you by your GP or Gastro? If so did you find anything interesting? Or anything that contradicts what your GP or Gastro told you? -
    Just read up on symptoms and what I was told by the scanner.
  14. Anything else you'd like to share? -
    Everything food wise in moderation and know that stress can bring it on big time.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Not answering for myself here but first for my Mom now 82 then my niece now 20.
I think it is a very difficult thing to diagnose.
First my Mom
  1. How long have you had it? - Mom and Dad both think they it started about 23 years before diagnosis - but at the time she was undergoing treatment for breast cancer and thought it was worry and did not go/consult a doctor/hospital about this until it became intolerable. But it did sometimes come and go in bouts - spacing of weeks/months/years apart In fact she actually thinks with hindsight (medical knowledge improved also and the diagnosis) she had her appendix removed at 20 but it was this also her gallbladder removed about 30 years ago same symptoms.
  2. What are your symptoms? -
    Pain/abdomen to one side, doubling her up causing her to almost crawl. Constant ever present need to be close to a WC. Really tired and feels worn out from this or the lack of sleep/age is unknown but a symptom never the less.

3. Have your symptoms become worse or better over the years? -
    Mom thinks they have remained the same when she has a flare up but her age is making her cope less well which is possible but also when she was younger and we were she would never have chosen to go into a Doctors about herself
  4. What do you think causes IBS, or caused or triggered your own IBS? - No idea.
  5. Who diagnosed you? (GP or Gastro?) -
    Was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis after a camera diagnosed hospital - started by GP who actually said he did not know and symptoms in this area are similar and he is not an expert so would send her to the hospital to rule out rather than rule in diagnosis. He also said sometimes things are misdiagnosed due to the similarity of symptoms.
  6. [b]As IBS was traditionally a diagnosis of exclusion, what else were you tested for or what else was excluded?[/b] -
    Not applicable

7. Do you have any other non-IBS type symptoms?
    -
    Depends also has acid reflux and a gullet that needs to be widened as it has strictures that cause her not to be able to swallow - and ends up on a liquid diet until she needs or feels her gullet needs widening via camera.

8. Are your symptoms nocturnal? -
    Sometimes but often very very early morning although this could be closer to nocturnal than daylight.
  9. [b]Do you get diarrhoea or constipation (or both)?[b] -
    Both. But may not be related but sometimes due to lack of fluids with gullet issue.
  10. Have you noticed any triggers? Such as certain foods/stress, etc? -
    Stress or an incident that concerns her family health.
  11. Are you on any medications for it? Do they help? (yes/no/not sure if they do) -
    On occasion when really bad due to being unable to swallow has enema medication in form of antibiotic ad steroids. But cannot say on for long when diagnosed she was admitted due to pain and being given high dose steroids intravenously. Been told next step if this no longer helps is a colectomy - But often strangely finds eating liquorios helps. I think it may be she THINKS it help therefore she does also take manuka honey and aleovera juice.
  12. Do you accept you have IBS, or do you think there is some other cause? - Accept diagnosis
  13. Have you read up or researched the Diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis.
    condition other than that what was provided to you by your GP or Gastro? If so did you find anything interesting? Or anything that contradicts what your GP or Gastro told you?
    -
    No excellent advce.
  14. Anything else you'd like to share? -
No
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Second reply is for my niece she was suffering symptoms and went to GP but he looked up and read up and suggested she try excluding lactose rather than hospital straight away and then confirmed via a test of some sort it was lactose but her symptoms went away when excluding.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2