View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Anyone else wonder why we own such dangerous creatures???

My lot have managed over the years...

Broken nose and black eyes - dog jumped upwards as i was leaning over to do his nails and got me in the face

Broken bone in foot - still not 100% sure how it happened but the best explanation was that the dog landed on my foot and twisted.

Most recent I am putting down to them is broken glass in my feet - One of them ran into my knees when I was changing a light bulb, in my hurry to get them out the way so they didn't get cut paws i trod in the broken glass with bare feet - was still picking slivers out 3 months after.

Also have been bitten through joint on right ringfinger - actually bitten in several other places and have a fair few scars, I have now learnt not to split up fights with my hands!

Bruising from the numerous times their brakes have failed and they've used me doesn't count!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm now pondering how Helena54 ended up with her shoe-laces tied together?!!

Reading this puts you off our furry friends!

About 6 years ago I got bitten by Parker but it was totally my fault. We used to go to a Boxer dog training club when they first opened to other breeds. Parker didn't like the Boxers much as they were quite "full-on" and were straight into his space. He wuffed at one and I waved my arm in front of his nose (yes why!! I don't know!) and he bit me. It was only a nip but it's very upsetting being bitten by your own dog!

I wanted to go home at that point but they persuaded me to stay and it was because we had got an award trophy and rosette for "most improved obedience dogs" (ironic eh!) and when I got home and showed it to Jamie he said it was because they were so awful to start with.

Cherry caused me a very painful sprained ankle last month. Parker had a Pit-bull type dog near him and he wuffed at it to chase it away and it accidentally ran into Cherry. She kicked off and I fell over her and went flying through the air.

In the past I have also had lots of bruises on my legs from Cherry as she rubs her head really hard against me and I do bruise easily. Now I know she has had entropion for a few years I think that is the reason why she used to do this as her eyes were itchy bless her. I used to (jokingly) threaten Jamie that I would go to the police and say I was a battered wife if he upset me. It did look awful at times with big purple bruises.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Ozzy (for people who didn't know him, was my previous Rottie male) - managed to break my nose by accident

He was playing a great game of fetch the Kong in the house at the time & getting quite giddy with excitement. In my wisdom I decided it was a good idea to bend down and reach for the Kong from above (he was lying down I bent down from behind his head) - just as he decided to bounce backwards with it in his mouth and clashed his rock-hard bonce on my nose. It was like a sledgehammer hitting me and I quite literally saw stars.

The bridge of my nose had broken, there was blood everywhere!! Next day I had two lovely shiny black-eyes to compliment the look
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Glad this thread has been started as something happened to me last week. I was out across the fields with the dogs happily striding out with my headphones in listening to Michael Buble full blast. My dogs were out infront of me where I could see them but what I didnt allow for was somebody elses dog charging up behind me to play with Skye. The other dog (one of my neighbours) is a pointer bitch called Leah. She was so excited, she charged up behind me and took me straight off my feet. It frightened the hell out of me as I obviously hadnt heard a thing (apart from the crooner!) and I ended up flat on my back but not before I had twisted my right ankle, oooohhhh the pain!!! I lay in the mud just waiting for that moment when the pain eased off!! I'm always telling my kids not to wear their headphones around traffic etc. I thought I would be safe around the fields !!! That'll teach me !!!! Ankle was fine after a couple of days resting it up with ice packs!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Broken ankle and damaged tendons (same accident) through tripping over my boy who was asleep.

Caused much hilarity at the hospital when they asked my occupation which was then a dog trainer/behaviourist.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 03:00 PM
i was bitten by a staffie, and a couple of english bulls, the staffie was worse though as he actually broke the skin ( i was working in a kennels and tried to break up a fight through the bars, it was my fault and i have always said that)

by my own dogs? i think the worst actually was scratches or bruises from them being so hyped that they jumped at me or being sore all over earlier this week because xeva proceeded to pull me for most of her walk *rolls eyes*
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 05:29 PM
When I was a kid my parents had a rough collie and as her eyesight started going she would lunge at you from her bed if you moved past too quickly, one day she got my grabbed my trouser leg and I tripped and fell through the glass door!! Luckily no major cuts!!

Recently with Bailey and his lack of sight if I'm in a wide open space and no-one's around I say 'shoo' to him and he goes into them mad 5 minutes where he throws himself about and if i'm not watching 9/10 times I end up on my bum!! He also decides he wants a cuddle and just pushes himself on you and if you've got a cuppa in your hands you end up wearing it!!!
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:57 PM
I have been knocked flying a few times but the worst one was my own dog Polo.

I had been chatting with a group of dog-walkers and as I walked away Polo and the cocker spaniel I was walking were still playing about near the other dogs so I called them looking over my shoulder to make sure they followed. Big mistake was I turned my back on them and Polo took me out. He hit the back of my legs at speed. I felt my back hit the ground and forgot my head was still to follow. I'm not sure how long I was lying there before someone was asking me how many fingers they were holding up! I had a headache for a week and very sore back.

I've had a split lip from Polo hurling a ball on a rope towards me and you know when you a puppy catches with you with its teeth just inside your nostril - that makes your eyes water!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I have twice in the past torn the tendons in fingers after dogs ripped the lead sideways through my hand. No real pain, but the resulting dangling end of finger was very strange indeed and took many weaks in a plastic splint before they healed.

The most instantly painful experience was when a dog head butted me under the chin when excited about having a walk, and my teeth were loose for a month after that! I literally saw stars.

However, the biggest and most prolonged injury which will be with me for the rest of my life, is to my back. Too many strong dogs (not my own) pulling me in all directions made an already weak area much worse.

I still love them all though
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Well thankfully the worst for me was a cut finger from grabbing the flexi lead. He has also scratched me and tripped me a couple of times resulting in grazed knees and a lot of embarrassment.

He has pulled my cousin over and dragged her along when someone kicked the ball when she was holding the lead. He also knocked her sister over when he reversed into her going after another ball I think reading these i've got away lightly
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >