View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I am in Scotland and the pups I have bought have nearly always been in England . I am quite happy to travel for the right pup after all I intend to have it for about 15 years
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I got Flame from Essex, when I lived in North Lancashire - it was a ten hour round trip.

Moss and Rip both came from a local breeder (when I lived in North Lancs!) in Quernmore, Lancaster so just a ten minute drive.

Yogi came from Leicestershire. We travelled from Scotland, and again it was a ten hour round trip.

I would travel the length of the country for the right dog/pup

I would never consider changing breed just because I couldn't find what I wanted locally.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:52 AM
We went from Wigan to Sheffield for Poppy. We had a first viewing when she was 10 days old, 3 visits, then on the 4th we brought her home. I have to say on the day we went to pick her up, we got a speeding ticket on the way, which my OH made me pay because although he was driving and it was his car, it was my puppy we were going to pick up!

Two of Poppy's litter mates were going to Cornwall.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I would travel the length of the country for the right dog/pup

I would never consider changing breed just because I couldn't find what I wanted locally.

Have to agree with you on that. There were some breeders closer to home that had pups available, but I was not 100% sure about them, so looked further afield. I could have had other breeds within 10/15 minutes drive but I wanted a CKCS, so kept searching. I actually spent over a year researching before getting Poppy.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 11:06 AM
We were lucky that the breeder we chose lived 1hr away which meant we got to visit lots.
Our second choice was SW England and we would have happily travelled down if we hadn't been introduced to our breeder.
Distance is no object to get the right pup but sometimes the right pup is not far away
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-12-2008, 11:11 AM
400 miles yesterday round trip, 9.5hrs of driving for our new Rottie.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I would happily travel as much was needed to get the right dog from the right breeder.

We were lucky with Ela as her breeder was only in Chester, we have been to visit a few times now and will no doubt go and visit in the new year again.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Anywhere for the right pup

Think our longest was a 450 miles round trip done in the same day - eek! Visited once and then on collection!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I was very lucky with my boys, as when I researched breeders, the breeder I chose said south of England and I was working out how to get to see his dogs, then he said he was in Essex, even better I thought, so we arranged for me to visit his dogs and when he gave his address, it was a 25min walk His stock all hip scored and though not shown alot, can hold their own in the ring and beautiful dogs.... I especially loved Deacon's mummy, the most beautiful English I have ever seen!!

But he has now moved to another county and I have a hankering for a new line, maybe even a new kind of setter or a spaniel(for me!!) so I am in the process of searching breeders, I have found two I like the look of (both English) one is near Braintree, the other in Colchester.....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 11:20 AM
I believe Flat Coats could be classed as a new type of setter...lol!!!!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >