View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 03:20 PM
It is always such a worry leaving them alone for the first time! I am soooo glad I don't that worry anymore.

Personally I wouldn't want to leave a pup in a crate for the amount of time you are talking about. I would opt for the puppy-proofed kitchen with his bed or crate in it (with the door open). Give him plenty of things to occupy him ... treat balls, a bone, a stuffed kong etc and as long as he is well exercised before, lunchtime, and after work I am sure he will soon fit into your routine

Best of luck ... and try not to worry too much!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Dog pyramids are excellent...Cosmo loves his...Company of Animals sell them, you can piop his lunch in that and it will keep him occupied for a bit. Also try buster cubes.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 04:15 PM
OK, OK. Ramble We're off to the cash 'n' carry (have a friend who is a registered wholesaler/breeder) on Sat to get a load of things like that and a new, comfy bed for him!

So, apart from his puppy kongs, nylabone, a buster cube etc, what else can I leave him alone with? Bearing in mind a kong with frozen kibble, cheese and gravy will only last max of 10 minutes.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 06:23 PM
i wouldnt leave him in a crate for that long - personally....

i leave the millard in the hall/stairs landing

when she was little if i remember rightly - she lived in the kitchen....... and my room lol........

lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I am sorry to say it, but it doesn't matter where you leave him - it is just too long for a puppy to be on his own. He needs human company and he is going to be lonely and unhappy.

Are you saying you will never go out in an evening together? You are too young a couple to give up your social life for ever!

No doubt I will get stick for saying this, but I had to wait until I worked part time before we got our first dog.

Sorry folks - not trying to stir things up - just my humble opinion.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Oh please!

You've totally contradicted yourself for a start by one minute suggesting 4-5 hours is too long and the next suggesting we should be going out of an evening.

Are you telling me that you never leave your house? Not even for a days shopping and a movie?

Anyway, we can't afford to go out now, we have Woody and I'd rather stay in with him a bottle of wine than go to a bar any day!

He'll be fine for 4-5 hours at a time, he's a dog, he sleeps alll day and poos and pees and plays and then when we're about he gets playtime and wrestles and fun and love and long walks. He couldn't have a better life tbh.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Oh please!

You've totally contradicted yourself for a start by one minute suggesting 4-5 hours is too long and the next suggesting we should be going out of an evening.

Are you telling me that you never leave your house? Not even for a days shopping and a movie?

Anyway, we can't afford to go out now, we have Woody and I'd rather stay in with him a bottle of wine than go to a bar any day!

He'll be fine for 4-5 hours at a time, he's a dog, he sleeps alll day and poos and pees and plays and then when we're about he gets playtime and wrestles and fun and love and long walks. He couldn't have a better life tbh.
Hey - I don't deserve an attack! Makes me think you feel guilty. I knew I would be berated on this but surely I am as entitled as you are to my opinion?

I have not contradicted myself. What I did say was that if you did, he would be alone all evening as well.

I am afraid I don't leave my dogs for more than 5 hours in a day (not as long at the moment because the pup is only 5 months - under 4 hours max for her). If I do shopping, it is for half a day. The movie I do another day. Most days someone is here with the girls.

As I said, it is my opinion, sorry if you don't like it.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Why not compromise and leave him in the crate in the morning and give him the run of the kitchen in the afternoon. I did that with Fudge when she was little. I was not going out to work but alternated where I left her every time I went out. I found this meant I had more flexibility as she was getting used to being left in both places.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
It's a perfect solution for us Fudgeley and exactly what we've decided to do.

We'll leave him in the crate in the morning and give him the kitchen in the afternoon.

We'll see how it goes.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Pidge, please don't let anyone make you feel guilty. You are a wonderful Mum to Woody. Some owners are around the house all day and take no notice of their pets but feel that just 'being there' is being a good pet owner. Whereas I know you will work your day around giving Woody everything he needs. It's more than obvious he's the love of your life (don't tell your OH I said that ). It's not the quantity of time you spend with Woody, it's the quality of the time and it sounds like you have it all worked out nicely. So long as he is being let out for his 'business' and having some company and a play at lunchtime, I'm sure he'll be happy I had to do it when I had my first dog twenty-odd years ago. It left me exhausted rushing home every lunchtime to see her but just one look at her face made it all worth it. If you do want to go out for a meal in the evenings, you can always do that weekends, when you have been with Woody during the day - it's really not a big deal
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »