Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CovetKaty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:43 PM

Boxing day lunch ideas?

I'm a bit stuck. I've been roped into doing boxing day lunch/dinner/tea for me, the boyfriend, his sister and husband and his mum and dad. I've done christmas dinner before for 4 but I've never made a meal for 6+ and god knows what you do for boxing day lunch if you haven't got left overs. I'm used to just having cold cuts and picking at chocolate all day.

Long story short, I've got to feed 6 adults lunch/dinner but also want to impress. (want his mum to know I'm not totally useless!)

I've got ideas for later in the evening, was going to make lots of finger food and make a kind of coffee table buffet. It's just the main meal I'm struggling with :/

EDIT: I'd like it to be festive if possible, OH keeps saying "Just do a roast chicken" but that's so boring for a day like that. Plus they'll have had roast the day before.

Oh also: His mum and sister have IBS so no spicy food allowed
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm making a game pie on Boxing Day. My butcher makes up a game pie mixture with a bit of everything in it.
CovetKaty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I've never made a pie before but I was considering one, or something 'One-Pot' like a casserole or mild curry.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:52 PM
We normally have cold meat & pickles etc.. & buffet that runs from lunch to evening - you could still get a few small joints & do a boxing day type dinner like that - beef, roasted ham or whatever, salad, pickles, new potatoes, mash.
Those mum's gone to Iceland party food packs are great toomost supermarkets do them with mini this,that & the other bits in them
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:52 PM
You can buy the pastry ready made, roll it out, then it's just like a casserole in a pie crust.
CovetKaty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Ideally what I'd like is for everyone to come over mid day, eat, then I could do a little buffet in the evening with some of the little bits (Also lots and lots of chocolate and cake!). But his parents don't eat a whole lot but it's the thought that counts right? I'm pretty handy with a casserole dish, but I'd want it to be like a christmas one. I'm thinking turkey/cranberries but that's a bit obvious