Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2010, 10:02 AM

Better to be safe than sorry..

It's always better to be safe than sorry, even if you do end up looking like a right charlie at the vets

Meeka is my 2 yr old midget Miniature Pinscher, she came into season on the 20th August..
Roll onto yesterday and Meeka wasn't feeling herself. She was sick a few times, left her dinner which is very unusual for Meeka as she loves her food. Just before bed last night she screamed when being picked up, and when Pete went to stroke her.

I told hubby i'd keep an eye on her through the night and if she wasn't better by the morning i'd have her in the vet's to be checked.

This morning she refused her breakfast, was sick everywhere, felt hot and then just lay there trembling. So me being a panicky mum phoned the vet's worried she'd got a closed pyo or something. Vet's told me to rush her straight down and he'd see her straight away.

So I took her in, saw Michael who said straight away that he could tell something wasn't right with Meeka as she was being nice to him, no growling, or trying to bite him!
We took her in for a scan to check her womb, and then Michael noticed her teats were full of milk..

She's having a full blown phantom pregnancy.. What a muppet I felt for not checking her teats yesterday or this morning. I just thought because of her drinking a lot, off her food, being sick and trembling something awfull like pyo must be happening to my little girl

£40 later, armed with a bottle of Galostop I appologised to the vet for panicking. He was very nice and did say it's always better to be safe than sorry if you ever suspect pyo though.

Now all I need to do is get Meeka over this phantom and she's going in the vet's to be speyed!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 10:27 AM
It is always best to get them checked if you suspect Pyo as time is really important.
Pyo does and will kill bitches,my Meg had it and was really poorly,she went downhill really really quickly,she wasn't quite right on the morning but by the nightime she was very ill,had her at the vets first thing next morning,by 1.30pm that day she was spayed.

I would rather look like a plank,rather than take chances.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
It is always best to get them checked if you suspect Pyo as time is really important.
Pyo does and will kill bitches,my Meg had it and was really poorly,she went downhill really really quickly,she wasn't quite right on the morning but by the nightime she was very ill,had her at the vets first thing next morning,by 1.30pm that day she was spayed.

I would rather look like a plank,rather than take chances.
Oh I agree it's better to look a plank than to take chances, especially with something as life threatening as Pyo can be.

I phoned the hubby at work to let him know i'd taken Meeka to the vets and what was said etc. Bless him he said £40 is nothing as long as Meeka is ok and it put's my mind at rest about her.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Poor baby xxxx gentle hugs being sent. Glad you found out what it was xxx