Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Male dogs? Female dogs? Doesn't matter.

So, do you prefer male or female dogs? Or does it not matter? Why or why not? Just like to hear what everyone has to say.

Personally, I prefer male dogs over female dogs. I have found they respond better to me, are less standoffish about things (the only food aggression and other types of aggression I've ever had was with females), and generally are more fun for me.

Males tend to be more independent to me as well. I also think they are more "motherly" with children and cats. I have heard this argument the other way as well so it's just my personal experience, of course.

I had a female Rottie named Shelly when I was young (given to me), and I'd not have traded anything for her... and I love Jade, my female dog that I have now. I like female dogs too, make no mistake.

Of course, if I found a poor stray, starving etc. female dog, I'd never turn her away because of her gender, and would try really hard to keep her or if I couldn't find her a good home... but when picking from a litter or shelter, I'd always go with males.

When trying to keep a two dog household, I'd always go with male and female... or if that wasn't an option, male and male. Two females just cannot get along IMO (even our cats, both female fight all the time), and I find that if you can't go with male and female.. male and male tends to work better.

What do you think?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Depends on the breed, in some breeds there is a marked difference between sexes, but it's generally down to preference, I like both sexes, but have a slight bias towards males.
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm not fussed really, the only thing I really dislike about bitches is the ordeal of having them spayed, I hate hate hate seeing my animals in pain after surgery

But other than that, I'd rather go on the individual dog
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Before getting Rio 7 years ago I had only ever had male dogs, usually two at a time and always entire. The reason for going female for the first time, I already had Syd a male Dobermann a breed known for not being tolerant of other males. I now have 7 dogs, 3 males and 4 females and no longer have a preference for males over females or vice versa.
Females certainly can get along together, I have 4 and they all get along just fine.
I think it depends on the owner as much as the dogs in question.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Good topic!!!!
Am inclined to go for a bitch, no particular reason,love both. An all female household here except for hubby on the weekends! Who knows maybe go for a male next time
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Before getting Rio 7 years ago I had only ever had male dogs, usually two at a time and always entire. The reason for going female for the first time, I already had Syd a male Dobermann a breed known for not being tolerant of other males. I now have 7 dogs, 3 males and 4 females and no longer have a preference for males over females or vice versa.
Females certainly can get along together, I have 4 and they all get along just fine.
I think it depends on the owner as much as the dogs in question.
That's great, and I've seen female dogs get along wonderfully, almost like sisters. I just think that male dogs tend to get along better than female dogs... neutering/spaying notwithstanding.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Had both in the past and opted for girls this time, find them easier to toilet train and was hoping for less if any leg cocking. Also have found all our girls were happy family dogs would sit on anyone's lap not fussy who they went for a walk with etc but the boys have all been very one person dogs who preferred walking with just one member of the family and fixated on just one member of the family.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Depends on the breed tbh, like i love pugs, but would probably only ever get a bitch as imo I think they tend to be less chunky and look a bit mor dainty, as an example, and i've heard lots of people say similar about preferring a certain sex of a certain breed.

However sex isn't a consideration really of mine when looking for a dog, unless i was advised that in the breed i liked, like trouble said, the males or female were renowned for not getting on with other males or females of the same breed.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I've had two of each
I have no idea why, but I'm leaning slightly towards boys...
Though my ladies were much easier and quicker to toilet train, and you can pet their tums without anything getting in the way lol
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 03:51 PM
As a raspberry blower on doggy tums I can only echo what you said there !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >