View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-02-2018, 02:27 PM

How is your dog around kids, toddlers and babies?

First I'll say never leave your dog or dogs around a child no matter how well mannered they are.
Never really thought about it much until friend brought over his 3 month old son couple days ago.
With adults Mouse has become much more reserved since he became fully mature.
If he is out with me and wife, he is more than happy to be petted by stranger, at home me or wife must let you in.
Kids in the neighborhood he loves, grandkids can do no wrong he love to cuddle with them and lets them play and run with the new pup Aries (7 month old pup).

Toddlers he will generally lay and watch or walk beside, he has never really been around a toddler and another dog at the same time.

Babies was the huge suprise, he will not let Aries or Lulu within 3 to 5ft.
Both are high energy and jump.
Mouse with snarl, wrickle his muzzle, and growl soon as they get within 5ft. (His tell never happens though, if he is serious the hair on his back will crease making a dark line. If this happens he means he will hurt someone or something).
Soon as either would get about 3ft from the baby he would lunge forward making them jump back or he would slam into them knocking them back and they would run away.
Mouse would then lay back down around the baby in his carrier.

Once the baby was gone Mouse went straight back to normal, he plays with Lulu all the time and puts up with the pup and plays with him daily.

Mouse with the new pup. He is quite a bit bigger now but still lays on Mouse to sleep or curls up beside his stomach.

Mouse with baby. He was being the camera shy butthead he is a would turn his head or turn his butt my way every time I was taking a picture.

Mouse and Lulu playing.

So how does your dog or dogs act with adults, kids,toddlers and babies?
Do you see a difference?
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2018, 03:46 PM
With adults they are either indifferent or happy wiggly bodies. With kids they are also excited, but they either too excited if it's a strange kid or they know to sit and contain themselves. Since I have anal kids I start training them when young to sit for attention so they won't learn that it's okay to jump on - knock down / scratch kids. If it's babies the dogs are calmer with them, more gentle and reserved. I've had dogs that just lay next to the baby.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2018, 10:29 PM
My Ben is excellent, but he won't let kids take the Michael. Alfie, my 4 year grandson, trod on his tail on Friday in the pub - something Ben absolute hates - and he let out a very loud growl and a complaint. Alfie knows to be very careful with Ben's tail, and he immediately responded by apologising to Ben which I thought was really rather sweet.

I would never leave them alone together though - it just is not worth it.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Mine is fine. The youngest grand girl of the two that stay with us from time to time was about two when they first crossed paths.

He will look at babies in push chairs with delights some mums and horrifies others.

Max being strangled:

Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Hi Larry, haven't seen you for a while. Great that Mouse has a companion, dogs are such sociable creatures they like company. Humans are Ok but another cannine is better

Nice photos and your wife looks well in the first one. Hope she is enjoying having the puppy around.

Can't comment on kids, babies. etc. generally if a dog hears a baby crying it means something completely different to what it means to a human. So best if they are never left alone together because despite all the human propoganda about how clever we are the fact is no human is 100% able to read a dogs mind.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Same here.
Good to hear from you Larry. Hoping to hear lots about your new puppy. Love to Pat, she is looking well, considering all she has been through, and a big hug for Nurse Mouse.
dogster
New Member!
Male 

01-03-2018, 12:47 PM
My dog's a mutt and he is just a darling with my son. Got the dog as a pup as a present to my 1 year old. They are best friends for 3 years now!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Says it all............

Pitrescuemama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2018, 08:39 AM
My Zen loves kids of all ages she loves people in general the youngest baby she's met was 5 months old. She gets a little to excited and has to be reminded to sit to greet and the older boys 10& up have to be reminded daily also cause they like to get her excited and let her jump when they play with her. My 2 yr old granddaughter is her favorite person they love each other now it took Evie awhile to warm up to her after she outgrew her crazy, mouthy, puppy stage. Now that she trust her and knows she's licking and not trying to chew on her there inseparable when she visits. I do how ever have to tell her to stop licking her face because I fear some times she'll suffocate her. She doesn't know a stranger and loves dogs as much as she loves people she's a very friendly, social, loving girl.
My Otis is not kid friendly he does alright with kids 12 and up. He does fine with babies that don't walk as soon as they start walking he's uncomfortable and untrustworthy to have around them. Unfortunately he seems to remain that way til they are teens and he has to be slowly introduced and constantly supervised with any new person he meets. He has a very small circle of people he trusts and he can be very reactive to strangers. We've been working on his stranger danger issues and he has made improvements but is not close to friendly.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
I would not trust Nigredo around a baby. He still tends to get excited and he's a big fat dog that can cause harm by accident. He is VERY goofy and always falling down and stumbling over things. He has knocked over small children in the past by jumping on them. He has been trained not to do this, but he does still tend to get excited and might jump up. He would NEVER hurt one on purpose but by accident? Maybe. I don't take him around kids these days.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >