View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Look forward to piccies of the 'downmarket gate'
Yeah I am very worried about the 'vultures' gathering.
Although when you think about whats happened close to me recently, Neo Mastiff, attacked a papillon and poor thing died a few days later. Mastiff now hustled off to the guys brothers, guy refuses to admit it was his dog. Nothing anyone can do apparently. The woman whose dog it was, is now having her van vandalised by this guy (not rocket science is it really to know this) because she brought the police and dog control officer to his door. Still nothing anyone can do though
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
is now having her van vandalised by this guy (not rocket science is it really to know this) because she brought the police and dog control officer to his door. Still nothing anyone can do though
Yes, June completely agree, the actions by this guy just says it all regarding the type of person he is. Very sad the lady lost her lovely little dog and we both know the Mastiff was probably trained to attack which is what the guy wanted.

Baruska was aggressive to other dogs but you could tell by watching her that it was motivated by a desire to have them join her pack, she never would have killed them but depending on the other dogs bravado it could seem like it. If the other dog immediately submitted she was as good as gold. Still she's gone now and Rianna is the complete opposite.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Azz, sorry, have slightly gone 'off topic' have given myself a ticking off

June, have to go now, must do a drawing of this gate, yes if I can I'll post some photos one day, might be a few weeks away 'tho.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Actually Losos, the situation with this guy was (and still is)
he had 3 dogs, the neo, a staffy and a collie. He lives in a house that backs onto the field I use for training and a small park. He can be seen out with these 3 dogs, offlead, always carrying a small child, no lead or poo bags in evidence. After the dogs have downloaded he walks back, still carrying the child, into the house, dogs follow eventually. Everyone knows it is his dogs that leave the mess, everyone else picks up.
He also has a charming habit of just opening his back door and letting the dogs out, there is no gate or much of a wall, so they just run at you, I have been stood there once with Cariad and Lona when it happened to me, how I kept control I will never know, had my broken rib at the time as well.
The staffy once tried to mount Mabs when she was a baby but (surprisingly for her) she told it off. Neo never been near me I have to say.
The lady who had the papillon also does agility and has a couple of collies, the papillon was a smashing little dog, completely unafraid and would play with mine and hold its own. So it wasn't the type that ran up to you barking and getting on your nerves.
Story goes that the dogs were on the field, he did his usual trick of opening the door and letting his out and then possibly appearing at some time suitable to himself armed with a mug of tea or the child. Before he appeared, Neo attacked Papillon, ragged it and threw it against a concrete post, poor little thing didn't stand a chance, and although everyone fought hard for it, it lost its fight for life.
Neo disappears and he denies it was his dog. Then it comes out the Neo is now at his brothers. Now I have never had a problem with that particular dog, however when I do see this eejit I always put my dogs onlead and keep out of his way, because if something happened he would be totally unable to do anything, if he was even there at the time that is, as has been borne out by the event that took place.
He has got away with it hasn't he, would you or I, or anyone else on here get away with it, Very Doubtful!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2014, 01:51 PM
You two are going to end up getting this thread moved to the trash bin or whatever it's called lol!

Seems most on here already comply with what is required anyway from what I'm reading. Off now to read what it says in the links.

I've read both links and wouldn't have a problem with any of it.

*only bit I'm not sure about is them advising you to have a word with neighbours to warn their children NOT to climb into your garden to retrieve balls etc. Does that mean if you HAVE warned them you are covered?

And we've seen so many threads on here where someone's dog was attacked and injured or worse but where the owner was not bitten but nothing could be done about it because they didn't bite the owner.

Seems to me now that with the new bit saying that they don't HAVE TO BITE a person for you to be contravening the law - but just frighten them or make them think they were going to be bitten - maybe this would satisfy all those who say it isn't fair that nothing can be done because it was just their dog that was attacked. After all, surely ANYONE whose dog is viciously attacked by another dog has also been FRIGHTENED by the aggressive dog? And could well be forgiven for thinking it might bite them too?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2014, 02:44 PM
It really is ridiculous!
My lecturer said it perfectly: they'll do something when somethings happened but they won't educate to prevent it happening.
It's amazing how uneducated some owners are, even if they mean well. It'll be a start if all owners knew key body language

Part of me is glad i don't have to worry about millie acting territorial now as she would have been put down just for defending herself even though she was fine in public.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Humph, I might write to my mp, completely understand being responsible and keeping dogs under control BUT if you are on MY property WITHOUT my permission that is YOUR fault......people really shouldn't have to worry about what happens if someone trespasses on to your property.mine would want to play with a burglar but that is not the point.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Well hasn't it always been the case that you can't just kill or maim a burglar yourself, even if you find them IN your home. So why would it be any different if it was your dog doing the attacking and injuring?

I'm not saying I agree with it. Just saying that it's been the law for a long time that you cannot just arm yourself to stave off intruders and they can sue YOU if you injure them.

We are talking about PET dogs here aren't we? I've never bought a dog intending to use it as a WEAPON.

And I do take the point of people who are at risk just going about their business doing the job they are paid to do. Postmen, meter readers and such.

I think it all comes down to what people are always saying on here with regard to dog on dog attacks when they are out and about - dog owners should KEEP THEIR DOGS UNDER CONTROL at all times.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
er.

Seems to me now that with the new bit saying that they don't HAVE TO BITE a person for you to be contravening the law - but just frighten them or make them think they were going to be bitten - maybe this would satisfy all those who say it isn't fair that nothing can be done because it was just their dog that was attacked. After all, surely ANYONE whose dog is viciously attacked by another dog has also been FRIGHTENED by the aggressive dog? And could well be forgiven for thinking it might bite them too?
This bit has always been there.

I can't recall ever seeing a case where such an action has been brought to court though

I've known a couple of owners who have actually been bitten when a dog has attacked their dog and they have had a bite from the attacking dog, but the police wouldn't take action on either one of the attacks
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2014, 07:22 PM
And sometimes I'm grateful to be in the US...if I got taken to court by all the people who felt threatened by Callie even if he doesn't even look at them I'd be serving life by now.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >