View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Mine are good with other dogs, but don't tend to bother with them all the time. Rio is very smart, she always knows the ones to play with and the ones to ignore, so we rarely have issues. Dan is generally on lead, but that's to do with his dislike of people, he doesn't generally have issues with dogs, unless it's a large male chatting up his bitches. I don't put them on lead in the above situations, but if someone is avoiding us, I will avoid them also. If I am in an area with a lot of unfamliar dogs I wouldn't have the big ones of lead anyway, as I don't trust other owners. I don't get offended by dogs approaching us, as long as they are polite. People avoid us generally though, especially if I have all four with me.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Ahh, you see if someone takes a different path (say, if you were in woodland where there are generally lots of different pathways) or moves aside with their dogs still off lead, that to me isn't an indicator that they have an issue with meeting others. If on the other hand I saw someone coming towards me with a dog on lead or putting their dog on a lead, I would extend the courtesy and do the same to mine or go in another direction.
But why else would somebody avoid you or take another path upon seeing you approach? As for the bit in bold you are just having the same reaction to seeing an on lead dog as I have to seeing dogs in general so whats the difference? It's an avoidance technique the same as mine, carried out to put space between dogs...

[QUOTE=Dobermann;2274498]perhaps they are assuming you should have the same level of control that you also assume they should have, just in other areas.

Also, if I see you taking another path with the dogs offlead, I may want to go that way and your dogs are off-lead....
QUOTE]

First paragraph - I dont understand What areas?

Second paragraph - if that situation arises then it isnt an issue, I dont have a problem controlling my dogs off lead but i'd sit them or something instead.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Leanne_W;2274528]But why else would somebody avoid you or take another path upon seeing you approach? As for the bit in bold you are just having the same reaction to seeing an on lead dog as I have to seeing dogs in general so whats the difference? It's an avoidance technique the same as mine, carried out to put space between dogs...

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
perhaps they are assuming you should have the same level of control that you also assume they should have, just in other areas.

Also, if I see you taking another path with the dogs offlead, I may want to go that way and your dogs are off-lead....
QUOTE]

Second paragraph - if that situation arises then it isnt an issue, I dont have a problem controlling my dogs off lead but i'd sit them or something instead.
Well, I do fairly often if possible. I'm not desperately sociable (), so if I can go out of my way to avoid making small talk with the other dog owner by going slightly off track, I will. That way my dogs still get to greet the other dog (I consider regular interactions with other dogs to be important) and I don't have to mindlessly chat - bonus!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Ah yes, I see now, it's the human who may be antisocial, not the dog! Well, in my case it's both!

My dogs have regular interactions with other dogs - they go to training classes and we walk with other dogs because I view it as important too. However, I dont think it's necessary for dogs to go and say hello to every other dog and i'd rather they be prepared to ignore other dogs unless I say otherwise.

I have to admit that I like to keep my dogs away from others on walks simply because I dont trust other dogs and their owners ability to read and handle them. In a training class situation you have (hopefully!) an expert there and dogs are kept under close control and focused on the task in hand. If i'm walking with friends their dogs and mine know each other so there is little issue there. Both situations are known yet out on a walk, especially if you vary where you walk and the times you go, most dogs and owners you meet are unfamilar and it's that and the "unknown" which makes me fear the safety of my lot.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Ah yes, I see now, it's the human who may be antisocial, not the dog! Well, in my case it's both!

My dogs have regular interactions with other dogs - they go to training classes and we walk with other dogs because I view it as important too. However, I dont think it's necessary for dogs to go and say hello to every other dog and i'd rather they be prepared to ignore other dogs unless I say otherwise.

I have to admit that I like to keep my dogs away from others on walks simply because I dont trust other dogs and their owners ability to read and handle them. In a training class situation you have (hopefully!) an expert there and dogs are kept under close control and focused on the task in hand. If i'm walking with friends their dogs and mine know each other so there is little issue there. Both situations are known yet out on a walk, especially if you vary where you walk and the times you go, most dogs and owners you meet are unfamiliar and it's that and the "unknown" which makes me fear the safety of my lot.
Haha...I've always thought I might be suited to more anti-social dogs, to match my personality.

I agree with you on the not having to say hello to every dog thing as well. In my case though, it is quite nice for them because none of my friends own dogs (well, two do, but are not 'into' them in the way I am) and we don't generally see a lot of dogs on our walks anyway due to the random times I walk. So if we run into a friendly playful dog or two & they can have a quick greet and run with, it is a bonus.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann
perhaps they are assuming you should have the same level of control that you also assume they should have, just in other areas.

QUOTE]

well you want them to have the control of not allowing their dogs near your dogs, perhaps they want you to have the control of putting an anti social dog on the lead without the big reaction

people are not mind readers, so I think generally people see a dog being put on the lead, they try to do the same and avoid contact between the dogs, otherwise, just because your dog is next to you when off lead, it may not necessarily give off the 'stay away' signal you think it should

thats pretty much what I meant
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
My dog is not very good with other dogs, we usually have our walk about 10pm so we can just enjoy it without any dramas. If we go it to the field that the whole village uses as a dog park i will only go in if nobody else is in there, if somebody comes in i get Phoebe back on her lead, i ask the other person to do the same while i just get out of the field. I either get a straight no - in which i let them know i will not be responsible for my dog hurting theirs if it comes over, or i get " but mines really friendly" i then let them know that phoebe is not and repeat the above or they get there dog on a lead or under control and i leave the field and say thankyou.

Some people do forget that not all dogs are friendly to other dogs
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
My dog is not very good with other dogs, we usually have our walk about 10pm so we can just enjoy it without any dramas. If we go it to the field that the whole village uses as a dog park i will only go in if nobody else is in there, if somebody comes in i get Phoebe back on her lead, i ask the other person to do the same while i just get out of the field. I either get a straight no - in which i let them know i will not be responsible for my dog hurting theirs if it comes over, or i get " but mines really friendly" i then let them know that phoebe is not and repeat the above or they get there dog on a lead or under control and i leave the field and say thankyou.

Some people do forget that not all dogs are friendly to other dogs
I think its really good that you are being responsible but couldnt you just call out 'my dog is NOT good with any dogs!!' and they get the message as some may take the 'cant be responsible for damage..' thing a bit much? I do think its good that your being clear and responsible though.

I think the difference here is that you are calling out to other owners and using a lead to send a clear message though while the OP isnt calling out to warn people and even if the dogs are running around off lead she just walks in a different direction, calls the dogs and thinks that should be enough (going by example A)

I think most doggy people would accept that there is distance being kept there but everyones social skills and experiences will be different and so if it is such an issue then calling out to owners and using a lead might be a clearer message if example A,B or C isnt working.

I know when my dog has gone ahead and a guy with a not-dog-friendly staffie was ahead, he called wait and just said could I put him mine on lead as she was aggressive, he waited while I called my dog and put him on lead then we both carried on our walks, I'm grateful for the warning, hes grateful for me calling mine...end of, I think although someone may not want to speak to people communication is key there?
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
good point about just saying shes not friendly, It is hard when some people make no effort to keep there dogs on a lead even when its just for a min or while you pass each other.

My other problem is people who dont put leads on their dogs in inapropriat places - like town i do not want to be mollested by your dog no matter how happy it is while im shopping
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
good point about just saying shes not friendly, It is hard when some people make no effort to keep there dogs on a lead even when its just for a min or while you pass each other.

My other problem is people who dont put leads on their dogs in inapropriat places - like town i do not want to be mollested by your dog no matter how happy it is while im shopping
I know its hard but say you mention taking no responsability...it almost sounds like your implying if their dog approaches its ok to let her damage their dog, if you see what I mean? Thats not really ok either. It may make people more defensive, I'd ask if she was that volitile why she didnt have a muzzle on in public places if I thought someone was implying to me that their dog could attack mine for simply approaching and them not have any responsibility....where as just being very clear about the fact that she does NOT get on with ANY dogs may make them think a bit/act more responsibly.

I know wat you mean about dogs being out of control/off lead in inappropriate places, what I find more annoying is the amount of dogs that seem to be able to look after themsleves without an owner, never mind a lead!
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »