Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Johnclick View Post
One of my first childhood books was about Balto, who anchored the relay that carried the diphtheria serum from Nenana to Nome in 1925. I was thrilled by the story and have been interested in sled dogs ever since. It's gratifying that a dog received so much attention from the media and that his statue stands in Central Park. (I read that Balto himself was taken to New York for the unveiling.) It's not surprising that the Iditerod is so popular today.
except it was Togo not Balto who was the main lead dog
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks; I had no idea. There must be more to the story. Do you know how everything developed around Balto instead of Togo?
Johnclick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Just found this out, thanks to you..

Togo, at approximately 10 years of age, ran 340 miles of the run and was permanently lame from the effort. He was the super hero and should be given the credit.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I read a great book about a couple who completed the Iditarod with sibes. It''s called Running North.
Damn. £4.50 poorer. Merry christmas to me
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-02-2019, 03:05 AM
The Alaskan Husky is a crossbreed that as originally loosely Siberian Husky with the original Indian Dogs of Northern Canada and Alaska and of course the odd (and sometimes not) accidental breeding by Wolf. More recently there's been Saluki and other hounds. Wolf ( I can see where it would be helpful)has also purposely been used for some modern breeding programs. There has been Irish Setter, Heeler(Australian) put in there too. The most recent is German Shorthaired Pointers because they love to keep running. Eurohound, which is essentially a Sibe/GSHP cross has also been used recently.
So the Alaskan Husky is essentially a mutt that's been selectively bred for bone angulation, bone density, skeletal structure (just way the skeleton is put together), muscle to skeleton strength, muscle structure, super proficient digestive tracts, coat, feet, attitude towards people, other dogs and work. They are not bred for looks. They are bred to pull a sled. ...in winter weather. ...as low as -40*C or more.
That said, just like humans, some give out.
All said, more "pet doggies' die in one day in traffic accidents due to irresponsible pet ownership than Iditarod dogs in the last 20 years.
More "pet doggies" die in one year due to complications of obesity (again) due to irresponsible pet ownership than Iditarod dogs in the last 20 years.

I don't have the numbers but that information is available on the www.

As for distance, my Sibe/Qimmiq/ArcticWolf/Kli/ManitobaWolf/Malamute sleddogs could go 35-60 miles everyday if I let them. I'm the one that gives out, not them.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-02-2019, 03:20 AM
Balto.....
Wasn't Leonhard Seppala's leader's name Togo?
And Balto was leader for Gunnard(?Gunthar??Gunner?) Klaassen?
Time for me to do some refresher homework. It's been years....
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-02-2019, 03:30 AM
Gunnar Kaasen.
Geez, Google is smart.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2