Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 09:58 AM

Panto - Peter Pan - a review

Well, I'm calling it a review......

Jackie and I headed off for the panto yesterday at the New Wimbledon Theatre. It was a struggle to get there as there was a blizzard blowing, but fortunately the trams were running ok at the time.

The production had David Hasslehoff as Captain Hook, but it was obviously too cold for the Baywatch "star", so his understudy took to the stage.

Roger the Cabin Boy was played by Louis Spence (from Pineapple Studios).

It started off pretty dire, but we stuck it out for a bit in the hope that it would improve.

About 15 minutes in a little girl started wailing quite loudly and cried "I want to go home" - at this a woman further back shouted "can I go home too?"

Panto is supposed to be fun and at this point (about 25 minutes in) I hadn't even smiled.

At this point Captain Hook reappeared in bright red satin underpants instead of his trousers (WHY?) - so tight I could tell what religion he was, even from the back of the theatre.

There then followed several smutty remarks from Louis regarding the pants and the contents therein.

I was gobsmacked. The audience was 85% children!

It was at this stage that Jackie and I walked out (after 50 minutes of utter trash).

I'm no prude, but Panto is for kids (big and small) and "knob" jokes are not suitable for the audience. New Wimbledon Theatre ought to hang their heads in shame.

£27 per ticket - what a waste....
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Vicki - you should complain to the theatre! What a waste of money!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 10:08 AM

I like the writing style - you should definitely do more reviews.
I haven`t been to a Panto since I took a group of children to a local one and they all begged to leave during the Interval! (We did).
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Wow 2 years ago I went to see Peter Pan in panto with my children and they loved it I can't remember who was in it except it was the bloke from from star wars and some woman from one of the soaps But I thought it was great and so did the children Shame yours obviously wasn't
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 10:19 AM
I have sent three emails to NWT asking who I should complain to....... we'll see if they (a) read them and (b) respond.....
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Good grief. Sorry it was so bad I think you are right to find out who to complain too.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I now have a name and address of who to complain to.
I'm trying to get an email address as that would be quicker than snail mail.

I'll keep you posted.......
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 05:18 PM
thats shocking, me and luca are doing little red riding hood at the local community centre at £1 per ticket my expectations are low, so providing no knob jokes then should be ok !!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:01 PM
What a shame and completely inappropriate. Hope you get somewhere Vicki xx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Oh V what a disappointment and at those prices too. I like your reviewing style too, made me laugh, but you are absolutely correct, what's the point of making crude jokes with an audience full of children TBH my view is that sexual innuendo is fine as long as it's clever, just using 'rude' words is no more than school kids stuff and I don't like it whatever the audience.

BTW I doubt it was the cold that made DH unavailable, he's got a bit of problem with his liquid refreshment intake. That may be just gossip but has been mentioned quite a few times on various news bulletins.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >