Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Agreed. The problem here is that when Cameron was in opposition he wanted to make the Conservative party seem a more caring party. He therefore announced that the foreign aid budget would rise to 0.7% of GDP and would be ring fenced.
This was before the deep recession hit the UK. Hence we are now in the position where this money has to be allocated to foreign countries each year, or thrown away depending how you look at it.
He should have adopted a more pragmatic approach and said "well that was then, but now things are different and we can no longer afford to give away £11 billion a year".
No one would have judged him badly for that, but instead we have billions pouring out of the UK every year, given to very questionable dictatorships and countries (India) that don't want the money, even calling the amount "a drop in the ocean".
From what I understand, India was a colony/country that was exploited by British rulers for a long time. They stepped on the rights of Indians and did what they wanted to with India. The Indians fought for their independence (we all recall Ghandi etc.), and finally gained it, very recently, might I add.

They are considered a developing country by general terms, and third world by many people and countries. India is NOT a third world country at all, however. But the fact that they are looked at in such a manner by so many people has to be very upsetting to the Indians who have their pride still intact, and of course to the government.

Indian children are the children you often see on the very sad donation commercials, dirty, starving, sick, living in filth. You don't see American children, or children from the UK etc.

Who puts these commercials on the air? Did India ask for this? Is all of it done with good will? Might it be someone trying to make India look bad? Does India even NEED this charity?

Answer these questions for yourself, and then step into an Indians shoes and answer them. I am sure many Indians look at many things like this and think that it is done to step on them, once again. If you look at it that way, perhaps you can understand the resentment they harbor.

This may also go far to explain why your government feels compelled to give them money, despite their unwillingness to show gratitude, and it also goes some way to explain why they fail to show said gratitude.

I could be very wrong, of course... but sometimes I think it's a good idea to look at history before you judge the actions of a people as a whole.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Can't say I know much about the history of India,but I do know one third of the population are poverty stricken That's millions of people Myra
It IS a developing country,of which some rural parts would be classed as third world...I'd be more inclined to ask these questions;
Would the people who are living in disease ridden squalor,suffering from malnutrition,watching their families die really give a toss as to were the help comes from?I doubt the history of their country,and who did what to whom is of any importance to them at this present moment in time.
As for the advertisements to highlight the plight Of these poor people,imagine they are set up mostly by charitable organisations. Without them,how would the rest of the world be made aware of the situations in countries like India?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Can't say I know much about the history of India,but I do know one third of the population are poverty stricken That's millions of people Myra
It IS a developing country,of which some rural parts would be classed as third world...I'd be more inclined to ask these questions;
Would the people who are living in disease ridden squalor,suffering from malnutrition,watching their families die really give a toss as to were the help comes from?I doubt the history of their country,and who did what to whom is of any importance to them at this present moment in time.
As for the advertisements to highlight the plight Of these poor people,imagine they are set up mostly by charitable organisations. Without them,how would the rest of the world be made aware of the situations in countries like India?
Yes, Lacey. I agree with you. To you and I, these people are doing nothing but trying to help... but perhaps to some Indians, as well as the Indian government, it might not look like that at all.

I think that the commercials are made by good people, who only wish to help... but I'm not so sure that they (the Indians) always think that. If they did truly want the money, and if they thought that it was given by people who only meant to help, why would they be so ungrateful?

I don't think that the people who are in need of the help and money are the ones calling the money given "a drop in the ocean". If these people saw even the slightest light of this money, I'm sure they'd be thanking whatever god they claim for it.

I think the people who are doing that is the government... who don't appreciate the deed because of the history of the two countries. That's all. I also think that it is the reason that the money isn't reaching whom it needs to. It's a part of why the country has so much poverty, but is acting snotty about money being given to them. My opinions... of course.

The government is looking at things from a political perspective, and probably harbor some resentment... which is why they are trying to mock the money, I believe. I took a quick look at India and it has some of the richest, and most intelligent people in the world. Lots of the country is VERY 1st world, as well.

I can understand their feelings, given the history of the country and how some of the people personally feel about it. That's all I was saying. It isn't right to be unappreciative and arrogant, but you have to look at WHY sometimes. That's all.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Of course Myra,it's all policital..but its fine for the governing bodies,the rich and well educated to harbour resentment.Their not the one's suffering
I'd love to put the people responsible for refusing aid from whatever source into a situation were they had no home,no food,no dignity and no way out.Wonder how long it would take for them to rethink Only people they are hurting are their own people Obviously not all of them process the intelligence of which you speak
I get what you're saying and maybe mine is a romantic notion.
By refusing aid from any country for whatever reason while its people suffer and die is nothing to be proud of,in my opinion.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Of course Myra,it's all policital..but its fine for the governing bodies,the rich and well educated to harbour resentment.Their not the one's suffering
I'd love to put the people responsible for refusing aid from whatever source into a situation were they had no home,no food,no dignity and no way out.Wonder how long it would take for them to rethink Only people they are hurting are their own people Obviously not all of them process the intelligence of which you speak
I get what you're saying and maybe mine is a romantic notion.
By refusing aid from any country for whatever reason while its people suffer and die is nothing to be proud of,in my opinion.
I agree with you big time. If only the ones truly responsible for poverty were placed where they could truly witness the harm they are doing.

Perhaps they would change what they were doing. Perhaps if they could feel the pain of the impoverished for themselves they would recognize the hurt.

Maybe one day... maybe.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Another way to look at it is, India received 3.2 billion dollars in aid in 2013 alone Think that puts them in a position to pick and chose what country they'll accept in from.How quick would their decision change if all other countries pulled out of offering assistanceAssistance which is being mis-spent from the looks of it
Enjoyed that Myra
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Another way to look at it is, India received 3.2 billion dollars in aid in 2013 alone Think that puts them in a position to pick and chose what country they'll accept in from.How quick would their decision change if all other countries pulled out of offering assistanceAssistance which is being mis-spent from the looks of it
Enjoyed that Myra
As many say giving via govts or big charities is wasted largely

I am blessed with family who I trust totally with any money I can earn via trading or spare from my pension, knowing that they will if we let them give the food off their plate to save others,

In India they search out tiny newborns dumped on rubbish heaps, because the men ( who should be castrated but that is a different matter!) refuse to allow birth control lest they prevent a boy

We get no govt help and send no shoe boxes as anything sent gets robbed. We buy locally as that helps support the local community

So yes to foreign aid when given by caring small groups working hands on and there is no way I would criticise anyone unless i were in my tiny way putting my widow's mite where my mouth is

To think of any tiny baby knowing the desolation and pain of hunger and cold.. rather live utterly simply that do that

In the end each can only give and live according to their own conscience.

But not to give at all because some abuse the giving as they do?
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
A lot of people share your views Julie. I think the popular newspapers have much to do with spreading that.

Of course people give to individual charities as well anyway. But nowhere near on the scale that govts can give aid.

And yes, even for individual home grown charities - not all the money (or sometimes not even most of it) reaches those it is intended for). But what's the alternative? To close your mind and heart to hundreds and thousands of starving and dying children and people who haven't even got fresh water to drink? And children who have no hope of any sort of 'education'?

It's oft mentioned that the UK for instance is in dire straits and needs to spend the money at home - truth is it is still one of the 'richest countries in the world' taken globally. Of 184 countries in the world the UK ranks 23rd in the list.

The Global Financial Centres Index ranks London as the world’s Number One Financial Centre. It stays a little ahead of New York, and Hong Kong, which have been fairly consistent as the top three for some time. The only other European centre in the top ten is Zurich. Four top ten centres are Asian, and four are North American.

Yet still many 'Brits' speak as if they are living in an impoverished country. Obviously the wealth of any country is not 'spread evenly' with the richest few percent owning more than the rest. But you'd be surprised how little everyone would end up with if it was.
You should hear the grumbling here in Ireland about this. The poor mes that are uttered and thr protests about anything and everythingwhen the welfare system here is generous

But we have recently had scandals here re the big charitoes and the CEOs taking from the giving to a terrible degree

In my life I have seen "charity" change from a giving of heart to big business and her the needy are lucky if they get 15 cents from every euro given

When I was young we worked voluntarily and now they expect big wages

So i have moved back in time and work voluntarily to feed and clothe and support via family I trust utterly with every cent I can earn or give. And there are many small groups doing the same as my family will tell... some of whom gave their lives in the Philippines

We give with no strings. Educate the wee ones we save.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
As many say giving via govts or big charities is wasted largely

I am blessed with family who I trust totally with any money I can earn via trading or spare from my pension, knowing that they will if we let them give the food off their plate to save others,

In India they search out tiny newborns dumped on rubbish heaps, because the men ( who should be castrated but that is a different matter!) refuse to allow birth control lest they prevent a boy

We get no govt help and send no shoe boxes as anything sent gets robbed. We buy locally as that helps support the local community

So yes to foreign aid when given by caring small groups working hands on and there is no way I would criticise anyone unless i were in my tiny way putting my widow's mite where my mouth is

To think of any tiny baby knowing the desolation and pain of hunger and cold.. rather live utterly simply that do that

In the end each can only give and live according to their own conscience.

But not to give at all because some abuse the giving as they do?
I do give
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2014, 01:26 PM
I do give
I remember! I think I may owe you an owl hat too!

What I meant is that many here because of the recent scandals with big charities have stopped giving at all, and I am careful now never to ask for money but to sell a fine work at a fair price
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >