View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:19 PM
The last time the Tories were in power they targetted single parents. As my husband had left me with 3 small children, I got caught in the firing line and had a dreadful humiliating time. I was categorised as a `scrounger` and spent many miserable hours dragged in to benefit offices to explain why I wasn`t supporting myself with 2 children under 5.
I can remember the warning then - `don`t get old, don`t get sick, don`t get poor.` It was the rise of the `Me` generation.
Now I worry about the people who are genuinely sick as they will suffer likewise - especially those suffering mental illness.
The last time the (Labour) government had a drive to limit `scroungers` on sickness benefit my disabled son was told he would have to get a job or his money would be stopped. This to someone with severe mental health problems and crippling medication to combat the symptoms. I had to go to the top to fight his case, and I worry for those who don`t have a bolshie mother to fight their corner.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The last time the Tories were in power they targetted single parents. As my husband had left me with 3 small children, I got caught in the firing line and had a dreadful humiliating time. I was categorised as a `scrounger` and spent many miserable hours dragged in to benefit offices to explain why I wasn`t supporting myself with 2 children under 5.
I can remember the warning then - `don`t get old, don`t get sick, don`t get poor.` It was the rise of the `Me` generation.
Now I worry about the people who are genuinely sick as they will suffer likewise - especially those suffering mental illness.
The last time the (Labour) government had a drive to limit `scroungers` on sickness benefit my disabled son was told he would have to get a job or his money would be stopped. This to someone with severe mental health problems and crippling medication to combat the symptoms. I had to go to the top to fight his case, and I worry for those who don`t have a bolshie mother to fight their corner.
I don't think anyone would want to see thoes truly in need being disadvantaged, but at the same time the government needs to weed out the many, many people claiming fraudulently or because they're just too lazy to get a job. Lets just hope this government manages to find the right balance, don't I hold me breath though.
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Pay freeze for me too - not great but my main worry is the cuts we have to make. I'm a social worker for children with disabilities and our budget is being cut to make savings which means there will be less services available. Also, a lot of the smaller voluntary organisations lost their funding so there is just so much less about for parents and kids now.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:06 AM
As far as I'm aware, the only thing that affects me just now is the VAT increase. I'll just have to spend less.

Pay freeze? We don't get pay rises in this job! Ever!

I don't have kids either, don't claim any benefits, I'm not a scrounger and work around 40 hours a week, sometimes more. Is taxation on low wages being increased? I do hope not!

I've never smoked and hardly ever drink at all, though I do have a small car so need petrol for it!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
As far as I'm aware, the only thing that affects me just now is the VAT increase. I'll just have to spend less.
Nic, there is a budget calculator on the BBC website... pretty basic, but useful.

We'll actually be better off because of tax/NI changes, but I think cos of the VAT increase, we'll end up breaking even...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Pay freeze? We don't get pay rises in this job! Ever!

I don't have kids either, don't claim any benefits, I'm not a scrounger and work around 40 hours a week, sometimes more. Is taxation on low wages being increased? I do hope not!

I've never smoked and hardly ever drink at all, though I do have a small car so need petrol for it!
Westie_N, although I do agree there are certainly scroungers in the system, your post implies that everyone on benefits is a scrounger and I should imagine that many dogsey members could find that quite offensive/upsetting.

If you didn't mean to imply that, I would suggest you make that clear.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Nic, there is a budget calculator on the BBC website... pretty basic, but useful.

We'll actually be better off because of tax/NI changes, but I think cos of the VAT increase, we'll end up breaking even...
Ah, thanks for that. I'll certainly have a look at it!

I'm thinking that I'll probably be in a similar situation to yourself then, regarding the tax and NI changes. Though as you say, we'll be paying more for essentials so it probably won't make much of a difference!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Westie_N, although I do agree there are certainly scroungers in the system, your post implies that everyone on benefits is a scrounger and I should imagine that many dogsey members could find that quite offensive/upsetting.

If you didn't mean to imply that, I would suggest you make that clear.
Please, don't tell me what to do or say. Thanks! Obviously I don't mean the genuine benefit claimants who truthfully are unable to work. Unfortunately, there are far too many scroungers about who ARE able to work but DON'T!

By that I mean I don't have a multitude of children and expect the state to keep them, I don't sit on my backside when I'm able enough to work, I don't cheat the system and I contribute to the system as my whole family does and has always done.

My gran is 69 and STILL works 30 hours a week. She has back problems, rheumatoid arthritis and a couple of other issues, yet she still works.

The rest of my family has also worked all their lives (some past retirement age), apart from a small amount of time off to raise children.

Apart from my mother who was abusive (although she did and does still work), I have an amazing family who who have worked all their lives and contributed so society and it makes me very proud indeed.

I will not apologise to anyone for my opinions and if people don't like it - though!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Please, don't tell me what to do or say. Thanks! Obviously I don't mean the genuine benefit claimants who truthfully are unable to work. Unfortunately, there are far too many scroungers about who ARE able to work but DON'T!

By that I mean I don't have a multitude of children and expect the state to keep them, I don't sit on my backside when I'm able enough to work, I don't cheat the system and I contribute to the system as my whole family does and has always done.

My gran is 69 and STILL works 30 hours a week. She has back problems, rheumatoid arthritis and a couple of other issues, yet she still works.

The rest of my family has also worked all their lives (some past retirement age), apart from a small amount of time off to raise children.

Apart from my mother who was abusive (although she did and does still work), I have an amazing family who who have worked all their lives and contributed so society and it makes me very proud indeed.

I will not apologise to anyone for my opinions and if people don't like it - though!
There was nothing that suggested you obviously didn't mean the geniune claimants in your original post and
I just thought if you knew you may have inadvertently offended someone you might want to clarify.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
There was nothing that suggested you obviously didn't mean the geniune claimants in your original post and
I just thought if you knew you may have inadvertently offended someone you might want to clarify.
Ah well, can't please everyone!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >