Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2014, 11:54 AM

New scam to access you computer BEWARE

Just had a phone call from an Indian gentleman saying there was a virus from one of my files that has got onto their server.
He wanted me to go to my computer and onto the internet to check my computer. He mentioned my windows computer then suddenly added about using a Mac AFTER I said that is what I use

Alarm bells started ringing very loudly

Why should he want to clear a virus on his server using my computer????

No he wanted access to my computer in case I did any online banking and have access to any information he could use.

I said if you have access to my computer then email me with the problem and I will get an expert to sort it out.
That stumped him for a while,then he asked if I knew such a person so I said yes one of the top people in the country

Beware of this tele no

the tele number called from was 0012094582705 international
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2014, 12:06 PM
these have been ringing me for weeks, i have caller display and if i don't know the number i leave it for the answerphone to pick up, i then store the number after googling for info so i know to ignore it and if my parents see the label they won't answer. Sometimes they call off a witheld number which i do have to answer as my consultants ring off those, when they start on about my computer having a virus i just tell them i don't have a computer and put the phone down
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2014, 12:17 PM
I have had so many of these calls I now have a blocker, trouble is it will not block all international calls. I had to be very rude and tell him his history in no uncertain terms I haven't heard from him since. But the blocker is good. I tell them I am on the TPS list and that it is illegal to phone me without consulting the list first. I then block the call.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Griff

What really caught him out was when I said email me with the problem and I will get it sorted this end.

There is no way can he get my email addy unless I sent it to him.

He even wanted me to go and switch on my computer for him: NO WAY
Luckily I can spot these scams easily but someone not computer wise may well fall for it.

I know what the next question would be. Switch your computer to remote access and let him sort it!!!!

That for those who don't know is about the worst thing one can do is let a complete stranger access your computer.

These scams are getting cleverer every time. So the answer is if you are unsure about phone calls or computer messages from someone you don't know

ignore.

In my case i let him ramble on for a good 5 minutes getting him further tied up in his own mistakes, I found it quite good fun actually hearing him struggle for answers
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2014, 12:29 PM
It was suggested cannot think by whom someone in the know on the radio or tele that it is better to turn off or take off the access facility as this is how they are accessing your web cam and personal info etc.
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-11-2014, 12:40 PM
T weed had the same scam a good few months ago
Like you let the gent ramble on ,he then talked me through the fix procedure , proceeding to be told the problem was now fixed I thanked him very much and told him he must be a magician ,as the computer was up stairs and not even switched on .for once I'd smelt a rat
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
It was suggested cannot think by whom someone in the know on the radio or tele that it is better to turn off or take off the access facility as this is how they are accessing your web cam and personal info etc.
Yes Moyra on all computers there is a facility for what is called remote access/assistance. This has to be actually done via the system properties where it can be found.

Make sure the boxes are ticked or not as wanted

gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Thank you Tweed for bringing this one to my attention as I have little or no computer skills. It would on the face of it seem to make me an ideal victim for the aforementioned fraudsters. Fortun ately, for some reason unknown to me I have never had one of these calls of any description. Must be luck, as I have enlisted no help with screening them out or anything similar, never even get the calls for bank compensation etc., which seem to bedevil most folks. Just hope this state of affairs remains as it is. Bye for now.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
has to be actually done via the system properties where it can be found.
Make sure the boxes are ticked or not as wanted
Thanks TW will check this

Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
for some reason unknown to me I have never had one of these calls of any description.
You may have 'Call blocker' on your phone, BT offered it to me free for 12 months then I will be paying for it, it will show on your bill.

If you don't have it then you are an extremely lucky man and long may your phone stay free of these obnoxious critters.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-11-2014, 09:11 AM
I've stopped answering my landline, unless by prior arrangement, for the most part it stays unplugged. I have 'Who Calls Me' app on my mobile and that automatically screens calls and tells me if they are a reported scam number, I never answer a witheld number.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >