Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 04:22 PM

Dog friendly (holiday accommodation)

What does pet/dog friendly mean to you when looking at self-catering holiday cottages/lodges etc?

I have been tasked with finding dog friendly holiday accommodation for our next walking holiday (myself, my sister and our dogs try to get away together with no hubbys or kids once a year!).

We usually tend to opt for the NW Highlands and I have never had trouble in finding really dog friendly accommodation.

However, we have decided to be a bit more adventurous this year and try Perthshire instead I am really struggling to find the type of accommodation we prefer, ie detached cottage, secluded and rural, but not too remote, that is dog friendly ... really dog friendly!

To me dog friendly means that your dog is welcome - no question of breed, size or having to make special arrangements with the owners (ie asking special permission). It also means that your dog is allowed in all the rooms - I have seen a so-called dog friendly cottage that said the "small, well behaved dog must sleep in the porch"!

I have no problem about dogs not being allowed on furniture (mine don't at home anyway), not being left in the cottage alone and also for the owner to pick up after the dog and pay for any damage if there is any. I also don't mind paying a bit extra to take my dog (many places seem to charge £20 per dog per week).

So, what does dog friendly mean to you? (and does anyone have any other recommendations for Perthshire )
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 04:29 PM
The cottage we've just holidayed in welcomed 3 dogs (no limit on size, no questions asked about them at all) at no extra cost, had a secure garden, they were allowed in every room but not on the furniture, dog poo bags and a drinking bowl were provided too.

That would probably about be all i'd require from a dog friendly place.

Got no recommendations for Perthshire though i'm afraid!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Have a look at wigwams if you aren't fussy. They are sort of between camping and self catering. Very comfy.

rune
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:51 PM
we found this very difficult too, particularly as we were looking for pet and child friendly and could appear to find one or the other but not both !!

I dont understand the whole no dogs in the bedrooms etc, particularly as the last one we stayed at was wooden floors throughout so it made little difference to that, and the bed linen all gets washed etc.

I kinda think that if you are allowing dogs, then you should allow them full stop, and not make loads of restrictions.

We definetly found the highlands to be a bit better infact, and the major problem we had with most of the properties was actually the fact they were surrounded with sheep !! LOL

We have never done Perthshire, have you tried welcome, wilderness cottages and the visit scotland sites?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:54 PM
no idea if you have seen this one - looks lovely
http://www.unique-cottages.co.uk/cot..._factors_house
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:01 PM
http://www.dunalastair.com/
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Ooh Yurts - instead of Wigwams.. they're more an upgrade of a wigwam They only have them in York as far as I am aware - but google York Yurts - they have a hot tub in one! AWESOME!

Oh but I don't know if they allow dogs and I have no idea about Perthshire.. sorry - quite a useless post now I think about it..
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:26 PM
For the last 15 years we have rented pet friendly self catering accommodation all over the british isles, always with great success. To be honest, if I am paying £400 plus per week for s.c. accommodation that proclaims to be pet friendly, I do not expect my dog/s to be restricted in the areas that they can access. I will always observe the normal laws of common decency, such as never to leave the dog or dogs unattended, or allow them on the furniture and beds, but other than that they have free access to the property.

In return, I leave the property absolutely immaculate. You would never know 2 hairy wolves had been in there!! Again, I feel this is common courtesy. And common sense.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Have a look at wigwams if you aren't fussy. They are sort of between camping and self catering. Very comfy.

rune
I fancy a wigwam, OH doesn't. The dogs would love it, but tbh they might try and dig their way out, but provided there were all mod cons (I don't do sleeping on lilos or whatever, I need a comfortable bed with my poor back!) I would love it. Fancy a Yurt as well, I must say!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 08:42 PM
my friend recommends this place they have been last few years with their dog. now at the bridge
http://selfcatering.travel/2075,fieldstone
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >