Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 05:40 PM

What to look for in a dog walker?

I recently applied for a job and if I get it, I could be working up to 57 hours a week so I need to get someone in to walk the dogs for me how do I go about it?
I dont want anybody walking my dogs mainly because they are going to have to really listen to what I say to them plus they are big girls and can only be walked together.
I know who ever walks them will have to be with me a few times so my 2 get used to them and im going to have to trust them with a key to my front door, plus they will have Isis hips to be careful of aswell.
Im in Lincolnshire if anyone knows of anyone in my area that will do a decent job but mainly im after advice x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I would definitely go by word of mouth if at all possible. Do you have any friends how have used walkers? If not, how about speaking to someone at the vets and see if they can recommend anyone.

If not, then I would want to interview any potential walker, see them with my dogs (and how the dogs react to them), want them to have been police checked (and provide evidence of this) and as you say see if they can spend some time with you and your dogs prior to beginning to walk them.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Most dog walkers have websites now. Trawl through the Yellow Pages and have a look at the various ones in the area and look at their websites. Then contact the ones you like the look of!
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I am a professional dog walker - I have a questionnaire that advises the sort of things you need to ask. If you want a copy then pm me your email address. From a dog walkers point of view, I suggest looking online at websites and see what sort of feel you get for the person from those and then narrowing down a choice of a couple and then ringing them up and seeing how you like the sound of them over the phone and then arrange for whichever you choose to pop round to meet you and the dogs. There should never be any obligation at this point (from either side) but I have to say I've never not been taken on from the meet and greet.

Any questions just ask!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh thanks guys,
I got really stumped on what to ask to be honest apart from can you handle 2 big un's at the same time