View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Thankyou guys, you've cheered me up a bit!

I've just spent half an hour on the phone to the Sussex German Shepherd Rescue guys and although they only have one short coated bitch at the moment, he's put me on their list. Sadly, all their dogs come from Wales So you know the state most of them will be in He's knows Vigil very well, and knows the other one I'm interested in, but he's a boy, and I doubt very much whether they will let me have a boy with Georgie, but we'll see. Still no replies back from Vigil with my numerous messages on their answerphones, BUT, this Sussex guy has given me the actual kennel number and the postcode, so I'll be making a trip up there next week to see all their dogs. I told him I don't mind timid, I don't mind old and I don't mind some other problems, but what I do mind is a dog that might upset my Georgieboy, and it has to be longcoated coz that's what Dave likes coz we've always had them, and I'm not in any hurry to find the right girlie for us, it would be a bonus if she was as pretty as Poppy, but I can do ugly!!! Awwww, back to being all excited now that I've got another ball rolling. The time is sooooo right for us now.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 11:57 AM
OH NO what a shame, so sorry your one is just round the corner I am sure
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh no I am soooo disappointed for you Helen. It is great to know that Poppy was so popular and has found a new home so quickly, but I just wish the home had been yours.

Anyway, onwards and upwards - what is meant to be will be, I truly believe that.

Georgie's perfect companion is still out there somewhere Helen, and I am going to make it my mission to help find him or her.

Oh, I also think that most rescues will rehome two males together, as long as there are no issues between them Which is the male dog you are interested in?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Awwww Helena, I have only just caught up with your thread. What a shame, When I was reading through I was holding my breath....Such a shame, I know what it is like when you have your heart set and then get disapointed. Perhaps it will not work out where Poppy is at the moment. Poppy spooky, there seems to be a rush on Poppys at the moment. Best of luck in your search
Elaine Ben and Poppy xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks Mel, I'm disappointed, very disappointed, but I'm ok now!

Hi Kirsty, it's thanks to you that I'm (WE'RE) on this mission now!!! This is another guy, very handsome and he's been there since September???!!! HIs name's Axel and he's a 7yr old which is brilliant and he likes other dogs too!

Hmmmmm what d'ya think then??? I've left yet another message on an answerphone asking whether Axel is still available!!! I'm beginning to wonder if they post up pics of the most desirables just to get you interested, and then when you phone they say they've "gone" or are going tomorrow kind of thing? I've never dealt with rescue places before, coz I got Georgie straight from the Dog Warden after he did his time in the kennel, but he already had my name on him!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks elaine (and Poppy!Lol!) The more I look at this other guy Axel, the more I'm liking him ya know. I can just see my face buried in all that fur, and his eyes are soooooo kind looking, I think he's fab, but I'm not going to get all excited coz I'm bound to get disappointed yet again!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Axel is absolutely stunning - I saw him on the site and he is a dream!

There is also this guy ... he might be another option?

Alfie ... http://s10.zetaboards.com/biggsd/topic/7048318/1/#new
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Helen - just been sent this message about Axel! Ring John Let us know how you get on!

"You need to speak to John who is fostering him on 01932 571268 / 07967 727875 (try mobile first)"
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 02:27 PM
may be its going to need a visit as they don't seem to be taking phone enquiries seriously. Axel is a beauty though, oh I am all excited for you again
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Mel, I'm disappointed, very disappointed, but I'm ok now!

Hi Kirsty, it's thanks to you that I'm (WE'RE) on this mission now!!! This is another guy, very handsome and he's been there since September???!!! HIs name's Axel and he's a 7yr old which is brilliant and he likes other dogs too!

Hmmmmm what d'ya think then??? I've left yet another message on an answerphone asking whether Axel is still available!!! I'm beginning to wonder if they post up pics of the most desirables just to get you interested, and then when you phone they say they've "gone" or are going tomorrow kind of thing? I've never dealt with rescue places before, coz I got Georgie straight from the Dog Warden after he did his time in the kennel, but he already had my name on him!
oh my word, Axel is stunning.

H, I know its so hard when you are (quite understandably) so excited, but I'm sure you have the rescue people all wrong.

This is an extract from the 'about us' from their website (hope its ok to copy here)

"VIGIL German Shepherd Dog Rescue is run by 6 Trustees. The work done by the Trustees and our helpers is on an entirely voluntary basis. Donations to VIGIL are used to ensure the welfare of the dogs in the form of kennelling and veterinary care whilst they await re-homing. Administration costs are kept to an absolute minimum."

This to me confirms that they will be struggling to keep on top of everything. Without even one paid member of staff, they have to fit their rescue work in with their work/lives. Updating the website is normally well down on the list of priorities - it has the least impact on the dogs and the chances of rehoming them.

For example, the rescue I help out at only updates theirs once a week at most - if there is an emergency on the day they are due to do it (and there are nearly always emergencies in the shape of owners threatening to pts their dog if it is not collected right that minute), the webpage will usually have to wait until the following week.

I just think if you have sympathy and understanding with the rescue people's position, it will help you in dealing with them (assuming you can finally get in contact!)

Good luck
Page 7 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »