View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizdougherty
New Member!
Female 

04-01-2008, 10:40 PM

Help for Spinal Problems (Back Legs Having Problems)

Hi all:

My dog Oscar is an almost 12 year old pug/lhasa mix. He has been having trouble with his back legs for about a year now. When I took him to the vet in September she noticed problems in his spinal area and recommended I put Oscar on Glucosamine, which I already have been doing. Lately his back legs have been getting worse. Sometimes I have seen him dragging his legs for short periods of time. This happens mostly on uneven ground or floors without carpets. He has trouble getting up from laying down. He doesn't show that he's in pain, although I know dogs show pain differently. He is a bit overweight and I am now more serious about having him lose weight as I can see the problems associated with it. The problem is this: I know I need to take him to the vet but I have very limited funds right now and I want to make sure I am not wasting money on un-needed things. I had a sheltie mix about 5 years ago who had the same problems and I took him to the vet and spent about 500 dollars only to be told that they didn't really know how to help him. What are some things I could be doing at home to help him? Also, what can I ask the vet for that won't cost a lot of money. I am willing to spend money to help him have his best life but at the same time I don't want to waste money as I am poor! I am really worried about Oscar and I am fretting over taking him to the vet because of the money issue.
Thank you,
Liz
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm sorry to hear your boy is having problems. Losing weight will definately help and keeping him a bit lean will take of any extra pressure from his back and legs.
I personally would go to your vet and ask for a check up, just a health check and nothing else to make sure they don't think it is anything more serious so it should cost you just the cost of a consultation.
You may like to consider acupuncture and hydrotherapy as well but I'm not sure how widely available they are in Hawaii.
Good Luck.
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi and sorry to hear about Oscars problems.

It really depends on what the problems are - without knowing exactly what's wrong, its difficult to say anything. However, I do know what you mean about spending a fortune trying to work out what the problem is, sometimes only to be told they can't do anything anyway.

If it is an arthritis type thing, glucosomine can make a difference (which I see you are using), but not always (it didn't do any good for my dog). It may be that Metacam will do some good (mind you, it may go under a different trade name where you are - its basically an anti-inflamatory/pain killer). If the vet does prescribe something like this, check out prices on the web - don't know if the rules are the same over there, but you might not have to buy it from your vet, you may just be able to get the prescription and get it elsewhere for a lot less cost.

other than that, hydrotherapy and possibly acupuncture may help, though I don't know if any centres would do this for animals where you live. If not, presumably there is somewhere you can take him swimming? That should be good excercise for him and should help with the weight loss without putting too much strain on his body.

Good luck, I hope you can find something to ease his pain and give him a few more happy years

(sorry I've repeated a lot of what Becky has said - took a bit too long to post mine!)
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

04-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I would agree with hydrotherapy and acupuncture.
You can also massage his legs at home and put him on RhusTox and/or RutaGrav, which are homeopathic remedies. In the UK they are available from most chemists so would think you will get them from a Drug Store or Pharmacy in the US

So sorry to hear he is having problems and do keep us posted as to how he is doing.

Thinking of you both.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I am sorry to hear Oscar is having problems!
I am totally in favour of hydrotherapy (if you feel the dog will cope, both emotionally and physically).
I have a number..... ....of re-home dogs that have a variety of problems. Both my Goldies have severe arthritis and would benefit from hydrotherapy, but cannot cope with it at all!! Both of them totally freaked out!! Whereas my Reds (1 of which has arthritis) coped really well! Like a duck!!!! As the physio said!

I give them all a Glucosamine supplement (which is brilliant as if it runs out, they start hobbling), and 3 of them are on anti inflammatory meds. ££££££££££ But worth it! The difference is amazing!! My 'lot' have a variety of spinal and hip problems (arthritis, spondilitis etc). If you want more info please PM me and I will try to offer a little help.

Keep us posted!

PS Have never tried acupuncture............will look into it!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 08:40 AM
green lipped muscle extract (a natural source of chondriton) and glucosamine helped me. Make sre and not use the normal glucosamine sulphate that you find in Boots etc, as dogd cannot metabolise the sulphate so it is useless (and why most people say it didn't work)
Lizdougherty
New Member!
Female 

05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Wow Thanks for all your support. It helps me a lot because I have no idea what to do and it's breaking my heart!
I did go ahead and make an appointment for Tuesday to bring Oscar in. I took Mahooli's advice and just asked for a senior check-up....I think that they are going to do some blood work as well. He is still dragging his back legs sometimes but the good thing is that it doesn't seem to bother him.

Acupuncture and hydrotherapy sound awesome and I am definitely going to look into it. Not sure how Oscar would like the hydrotherapy, but it's worth a shot.

I just want to make sure that I am doing what's best for him and making sure he has a good life.
I have also thought about getting Oscar a wheelchair or sling....looking into it...wheelchairs are really expensive but if Oscar has a couple of years left I would buy one.

Thanks again for all your support. I REALLY appreciate it and I will keep you updated on news.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Glad we've given you some optimism. If all goes well with hydrotherapy/acupuncture/metacam, he may not need a sling/wheelchair for a long time.

Please let us know how you get on