Our sister sites
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2007, 09:39 AM

home made meals

hello!
i need some help.
i have decided to make to my dogs home made meals.
i have read some articles about it and i intend to read more.
but...
those of you, who feed theri dogs home made diet, how much meat do they get per day (considering their weight and activity level) and how much rice or wheat?
and your experiences with home made food?
thank you!
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Hi! I've fed mine home-cooked for about 4 years now and as a rough guide I give 1/3 brown rice 1/3 meat and 1/3 veg. I know some people say that dogs do not need the rice, but the diet suits my two-who are healthy and maintain a healthy weight. They were originally fed on Burns, and I read in their literature that their proportions are the same-that's why I decided to go for 1/3s. Some people suppliment home cooked too with kelp for vitamins. It's only my experience but I'm sure you'll have more replies on this subject! Good luck- you're dog will love it.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 05:09 PM
This is more or less what I feed too supplemented with an omega oils squirt for Sam and a vitamin pill for Rufus(just in case) The oil seemed to give R diarrhoea. Some say they don't need the veg either but it seems to digest ok. The recipe I originally used was 1/2 lb meat, 2 cups rice, 1 cup veg
1 tsp olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp bone meal and multivit. But I don't weigh it all out. They seem to do very well on this and wolf it all down!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't weigh mine, I go more on size of meal which he gets twice a day. I cook fresh chicken portions, mashed potato, brocolli, and any other veg that we have left lunchtimes he will get in the evening. Sometimes he gets more meat than veg, oh and there's always gravy too. My vet told me to use the stock that I've boiled the chicken in and pour that over it which of course he loves! He gets Viacutan spray for his skin condition and coat, plus a multi-vit tablet which is mostly vitamin B's. He's a big dog, 48 kgs. at last weigh-in, but I seem to be able to keep him on an even keel with the amount I'm feeding. If he's getting bigger, I reduce his food slightly and cut out some of the extra's he gets in the evenings. He gets quite a few raw carrots too throughout the day instead of treats, although he usually gets a pig's ear every evening too! Just coz he's spoilt

I've only started cooking for this dog since I lost my other one, and the surprising thing to me is the change in his poo! Instead of a pale, soft one, I'm getting nice dark firmer ones, and he never gets diarrhea which he used to get quite frequently on his kibble. If you've got the time and the inclination I'm sure it's more enjoyable for them too than eating a dried up tasteless kibble!
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 05:11 AM
mum feeds our dogs on mutton, chicken, rabbits along with either rice or pasta, veggies, cottage cheese, kelp, corn oil, along with dog biscuits also sardines and there are times when she will give them yogurt and they are fed twice a day
Daniel
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes, forgot to mention about fish, I think oily fish is important at least once a week, so I give him a small tin of pilchards sometimes as an extra!
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Some of the dogs are better fed than me.lol.Usually i cook a stew with meat veg etc along with biscuits or rice or pasta.I get fresh sardines once a week,boil a little or mackrel.No probs with mine.
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I started home made with my two and cant believe how much they loooove it. I try and do the burns 1/3 like parsonsmum and sometimes do the stew like jannie. I make a batch and freeze it so its not really that much work the wagging tails make any effort worthwhile